Odyssey 2?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Anonymous Prime

Odyssey 2?

Postby Anonymous Prime » April 15th, 2008, 11:57 am

I have recently discovered that one of my school friends has an Odyssey 2. So...I just have a simple question. ONE: at a collectors view, is the system worth owning? It's fairly old, and it would be the most obscure  of my limited collection. TWO: how much does it even cost? He said thirty dollars would get me the system and all of the stuff he has for it. As I have promised to Dragoon DJ ( about five seconds before writing this parethesied caption) I will never rip off friends in terms of gaming anymore. Soooo, how much is an Odyssey 2, in fair condition, worth???

Alienblue

Odyssey 2?

Postby Alienblue » April 15th, 2008, 12:44 pm

I hate you A.P. PHBBBBBT!

I have wanted to own an O2 since I got into games. Why? Mostly because I root for the undersystem I guess. The O2 was like the little engine that could. It has the worst graphics,sound and games of the "top three", Atari, Mattel and them.... yet it had some DAMN great games including KC MUNCHKIN, TURTLES and KILLER BEES. I actually bought an O2 in 1987 at a flea market with three games (the pack in cart with 2 race games and cruptologic, Alien Invaders and the Star Raiders like game) for $40 to give you an idea....unfortunately THE KEYBOARD DID NOT FUNCTION. Not that big a deal but you still need it to select game variations. So I returned it, *SIGH* and none since. MAKE SURE ALL THE KEYS AND THE TWO JOYSTICKS ACTUALLY WORK. If it comes with at least 3 games it is worth $30 easily. In my experience, O2s are WAYYYY less common then 2600s(worth about $15) and INTVS (worth $10 to $30 depending on the model). $30 is a damn good price.

I'll trade you my boxed Intellivision2 for it. (if serious, that is, if you are nuts, I'll include 15 boxed games with the deal too! I won a bunch of INTV "commons" from Digital Press and have duplicates. Anyone have an extra O2?)

ActRaiser1

Odyssey 2?

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 15th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Short of you purchasing the 50 in one cart for it - I'd pass.  It's just not that entertaining of a system that is if you want to play the games.  Others on here collect for the sake of collecting but if you enjoy playing the games or getting the best games for the system then I'd skip it.

But $30 is a good deal.  Good luck with your decision!

chrisbid1

Odyssey 2?

Postby chrisbid1 » April 15th, 2008, 6:51 pm

it has fewer 'good' games than the 2600 or intellivision, but they are out there, and for that price it is worth owning.

Recycled

Odyssey 2?

Postby Recycled » April 16th, 2008, 2:34 pm

I LOVE my Odyssey 2.  I purchased mine from atari2600.com for $30.  That was just a good working console...nothing else.  I have the multi-cart and just can't get enough of it.  I have pangs of guilt neglecting my 2600 and Colecovision lately.  I love the system...no matter what the naysayers claim.

Atarifever1

Odyssey 2?

Postby Atarifever1 » April 17th, 2008, 8:44 am

That's a very fair price for the system.  It's terribly under-rated.  Although it has some technical limitations compared to the 2600, it is very flicker free, and has some really great, really cheap games.  My advice is, if you get the system, makes sure to get KC Munchkin, Attack of the Time Lord (the critic scored it too low), and Pick Axe Pete.  If you have trouble figuring out what's so great about Pick Axe Pete, let me know on here, and I'll explain the strategy to you, and then you will become addicted.

As I believe you're quite young, remember that in order to enjoy this system, you need to keep trtack of your high scores.  If you can get someone else to also play, it'll be even better.  If you can't find someone to play your scores against in the real world, head over to Atariage and start posting scores in the O2 score club thread.  Trust me, it'll make the $30 purchase much more worthwhile.

andrew

Odyssey 2?

Postby andrew » April 17th, 2008, 11:04 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]That's a very fair price for the system.  It's terribly under-rated.  Although it has some technical limitations compared to the 2600, it is very flicker free, and has some really great, really cheap games.  My advice is, if you get the system, makes sure to get KC Munchkin, Attack of the Time Lord (the critic scored it too low), and Pick Axe Pete.  If you have trouble figuring out what's so great about Pick Axe Pete, let me know on here, and I'll explain the strategy to you, and then you will become addicted.

As I believe you're quite young, remember that in order to enjoy this system, you need to keep trtack of your high scores.  If you can get someone else to also play, it'll be even better.  If you can't find someone to play your scores against in the real world, head over to Atariage and start posting scores in the O2 score club thread.  Trust me, it'll make the $30 purchase much more worthwhile.
[/QUOTE]

I can't be as objective as you and have only played on a solid emulator but having a voice module with Mr. Roboto and Smithereeens seals the deal on why the O2 is such a great system.

Return to “Classic Gaming”