4/2/2006: Xbox 360: King Kong

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 2nd, 2006, 8:45 pm

Post your King Kong feedback here.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 2nd, 2006, 10:32 pm

I'm not seeing how king kong is A material, it's really short and really shallow.  It seems like B, C+ quality at most, I know it's your opinion, and this is just mine.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » April 2nd, 2006, 11:02 pm

Wow, and I thought the XBox 360 reviews for [b]Gotham 3[/b] and [b]NFS: Most Wanted[/b] were record-setting lengthy.  Congrats already on making [b]King Kong[/b] your lengthiest review by far... maybe too lengthy! 

I also own this game and I'm torn about how I feel about it.  It's one gorgeous-looking game that completely immerses the player into the world of Peter Jackson's 'Kong' movie.  I love that there's no HUD to let players know what button to press to do things (it's optional too) and the levels where you play as 'Kong' are boss (too few of them though).  On the other hand the freaking thing is just too short, linear and repetitive to be worth the $60 asking price.  I ended up buying the game used for $35 and have played it three times, so I guess my actions speak louder than words.  

Did you experience any problems with the game on your plasma HDTV set?  Ubisoft reported that consumers reported the 'King Kong' 360 game had some problems running on some HDTV setsand they were working on finding out which sets they were.

Boston

Postby Boston » April 3rd, 2006, 8:58 am

I like the reviews but they are lengthy! I think they are getting to the point of becoming verbose.  Nonetheless great reviews although sadly there is still nothing on the 360 that makes me want to run out and get one. I am a huge X-Box fan but I think the 360 is doomed to mediocrity. I think the headstart Microsoft  hoped to achieve on the Rev and PS3 is going to backfire! Peace!

Boston

Tremo01

Postby Tremo01 » April 3rd, 2006, 5:48 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]Maybe its just me, but I felt that the 360 reviews were a little longer than your usual reviews.  Not that this is a bad thing, just something that I noticed.  Keep up the quality work Dave.
[/QUOTE]

You are correct sir - these reviews are really pushing the limit, in terms of how long I think a review should be.  In general, my reviews for modern games tend to be more lengthy, because there's more to talk about.  However, I think one of the strengths of my review style is that I get right to the point.  So if I start putting in "fluff", let me know!

Dave 
[/QUOTE]

Yeah that King Kong review is really huge.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 3rd, 2006, 6:30 pm

Personally I liked the length.  Maybe paragraph spacing might make it a bit more readable though?

russ

Postby russ » April 3rd, 2006, 8:34 pm

I agree - more is sometimes better, and your reviews are always insightful/different from the mainstream. So, keep it up!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 4th, 2006, 3:31 pm

It may be long for this site but most of the reviews I read are easily two or three times larger than that.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » April 4th, 2006, 4:13 pm

If any review is long, isn't it appropriate that King Kong is the one?

I actually like the length.  At least it's not several pages like some Gamespot reviews.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Guys,
I just made some changes to the review, tightening it up a little and adjusting the grade to an A-.
Dave

Return to “Review Feedback”