GENESIS PROBLEM

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alienblue

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby Alienblue » November 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm

I just hooked up my MODEL THREE Genesis unit again, first time in about ten months. It was covered in dust but I cleaned it off.

Unfortunately I have a problem. EVERY game has an audio problem.
The Music and sound are still there but this terrible WHINE clouds everything, it comes on with the Sega logo.... "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.." the games are unplayable unless I turn the sound WAY down.

I cleaned the system and every cart, with qtips and Hydrogen peroxide(I'm allergic to alcohol). My 7800, Odyssey2 and SNES all sound fine on this TV.

Is there an easy fix or do I need a new Genesis? If I do everyone remember XMAS IS COMING! HOHOHO!

Guy

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby Guy » November 8th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Genesis are cheap to buy, so get a new one on ebay. 

MANKIND

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby MANKIND » November 8th, 2008, 9:13 pm

ive heard that genesis 3 system are the less reliable of the genesis family simply because it is made cheaply and not by sega but rather majesco. Its the game gear, the sega made game gear is much more reliable than the majesco one

Alienblue

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby Alienblue » November 9th, 2008, 6:03 pm

I solved the problem guys, the RF connector was causing interferance. All I had to do was fiddle with it a bit and the whine stopped.

I HATE RF connectors; they are the one "OLD" VG tech that I am glad has been replaced-today we use direct-to-video RCA plugs. I know there is a direct video for the Genesis but I've never seen one.

Faulty RF units can cause audio whines, bars across the picture, "snow" and many other problems. I refused to get a top loading NES because it had no direct connect. My SNES and PS2 have direct connect as does my ADAM computer, allowing me to play CRYSTAL CLEAR Colecovision games on a monitor!

If any body has an extra Genesis VIDEO connector they are willing to sell or trade for games let me know. BTW I have not one but TWO Genesis units, both crappy model threes!

a_v

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby a_v » November 13th, 2008, 12:08 am

I understand that the Genesis 3 shares the same multi-av out with the Genesis/Mega Drive 2, 32X etc minus RGB. eBay has heaps of these for fair prices. Go for a stereo cable to get the stereo goodness
Here's an example of what you're looking for.

Leo1

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby Leo1 » November 13th, 2008, 10:51 am

The Genesis 3 came with composite cables, rf adapters had to be bought seperately.

Did someone here send it to you? Perhaps they have the original composite cables for it still.

Alienblue

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby Alienblue » November 13th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Wait...the Model three came with a VIDEO connector?

Then maybe I have the model two! I still have the BOX and I bought it new and sealed, and it DEFFINITELY came with an RF connector. The system is small with a Ovoid top, and the red LED in black bars between POWER and RESET..?

It also came with the SIX IN ONE game cart.

Wish I could post a pic, but I can't. I thought it must be model three because I bought it at the time the SATURN came out; it was discounted to $39.98 and games were $9.99 each! Even 32X games, although I saw no 32X units. Whatcha think? Oh it came with a six button controller with BLUE start/pause buttons too!

andrew

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby andrew » November 13th, 2008, 9:54 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Wait...the Model three came with a VIDEO connector?

Then maybe I have the model two! I still have the BOX and I bought it new and sealed, and it DEFFINITELY came with an RF connector. The system is small with a Ovoid top, and the red LED in black bars between POWER and RESET..?

It also came with the SIX IN ONE game cart.

Wish I could post a pic, but I can't. I thought it must be model three because I bought it at the time the SATURN came out; it was discounted to $39.98 and games were $9.99 each! Even 32X games, although I saw no 32X units. Whatcha think? Oh it came with a six button controller with BLUE start/pause buttons too![/QUOTE]

Tell us your model number so we can figure out the answer to your woes.
What I can't understand is why Nintendo and Sega would drop AV support on later models (NES top loader, Genesis II). It boggles the mind. Wouldn't somebody buying a system at the end of its lifecycle be more likely to have a better television or at least not downgrade?

Leo1

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby Leo1 » November 13th, 2008, 10:30 pm

If it came with that game, you have a Genesis 2. You'd know if you had a Genesis 3 anyways, theres a big 3 on top of it.

Genesis 2's can do composite out, but at that time a ton of people didn't have tv's that could be directly hooked up to by composite. Nintendo's just cheap and trimmed cost as far as possible on their NES2 and SNES2 to maximize their profit margins and drive the cost down to a minimum.

The systems were aimed at budget minded consumers and as entry level gaming systems. The gamers most likely to have the equipment to take advantage of higher end AV gear are the early adapters, not the people buying systems near their consumer death.

ZetaX1

GENESIS PROBLEM

Postby ZetaX1 » November 13th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Sounds like you've got a Model 2.  I've got a model 3 (model MK-1461).  It has no LEDs on it (the on/off switch shows orange 'paint' when you switch it on.)  It's really small (about the size of an old CD-Walkman, without the pop-up lid), and didn't come with a game.  The box mentions Majesco somewhere on it (my box is in storage in the attic, or I'd tell you where).  Heck, now that I look at it, I see it says "Genesis 3" across the top/front of it!

There, everything you never wanted to know about a model of the Sega Genesis that you don't have.

- Mark

Return to “Classic Gaming”