New Sony console???!!!!!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 23rd, 2009, 7:07 am

Here's an interesting weblink http: //www.scei.co.jp/saiyo/part/part11.htmlting weblink:
See, how this guy is smiling? He's supposed to help testing the new Sony machine,
a system said to be able to play PS2/PS3 and even PSP games!!! Probably the PSONE, too, even though it's never actually mentioned...
There's much speculation going on at this point, of course. I think this may actually be a refurbished PS3, just as Sony did in the past with its other systems. The PSTHREE ay be coming soon...

Luke

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby Luke » February 23rd, 2009, 2:46 pm

This has been in the news all week. Allegedly, there was an ad posted on the Sony Japan website that was calling for new game machine testers that would follow in the line of "Playstation peripherals."

Most gamers seem to agree that the new gaming machine that Sony is working on is most likely the "PSP2," not a new console.

Video Elephant

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby Video Elephant » February 23rd, 2009, 4:49 pm

Sony is the new Sega, and the PS4 (if it is released in the next couple years) will be the new Dreamcast. I'm sure it will be an awesome machine but the market is too saturated for a "next-gen" to be released mid-cycle.

Luke

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby Luke » February 24th, 2009, 2:54 am

Maybe a new EyeToy?

BanjoPickles1

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 24th, 2009, 1:25 pm

I don't understand why anytime a company isn't completely thriving, they're compared to Sega. Sony has a loooooong way to go before they sink as low as Sega sunk. Sega had years of failure, coupled with the fact that they only really had ONE international success(compare the sales figures for the genny against every other system they've ever released). Sony has only had one system that hasn't necessarily failed, but has failed to live up to the sales figures of their past. It was remarkable that they repeated the ps1's performance with the ps2, and then surpassed it! Sega, at one time, was supporting FIVE systems at once. Sony isn't that dumb.

Nintendo was never "the new Sega," nor is Sony, nor is Microsoft.

As far as this new announcement, I don't think it's going to be nearly as profound as people think. It's not the ps4, obviously. I think it'll probably fall more into line with Nintendo's I-Que(or however it's spelled): just some side thing that adds an interesting spin on a pre-existing concept.

Video Elephant

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby Video Elephant » February 24th, 2009, 4:44 pm

10 years from now Sony will release God of War Unleashed. Kratos turn's into a werewolf.

N64Dude1

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby N64Dude1 » March 22nd, 2009, 12:34 am

Actually BanjoPickles Microsoft is seeming to follow the same pattern SEGA did,which is ironic considering Microsoft tried to save poor Dreamcast with Windows CE.

Think about it Xbox like Master System tries to be technologically superior to it's competitors but it only wins by pushing out the other competitor (to which GameCube can be for now compared to the 7800) less than 5 years later

A new console is released and at first it doesn't really go anywhere but then it does.Xbox 360 like Genesis is facing the add-on/revision problem [ex: SEGA CD to HD-DVD drive or Xbox 360 200GB to Genesis 3 and so on)

Odds are Xbox 720 will fail miserably like the Saturn followed by the end of Microsoft at Xbox 1080

The only real differnce is the lack of a handhled[that could change] and the use of Master Chief to blast all the others rather than Sonic.

SONY is more like the new Nintendo odds are PS4 will be a GameCube

Wii 2 will probably continue the success which Wii 3 will ruin

I doubt SONY'll make a PSTHREE seeing as Nintendo didn't make a revision of the N64 which PS3 apears to be following in the footsteps of.

PSP2 could happen but I doubt it

feilong801

New Sony console???!!!!!

Postby feilong801 » March 22nd, 2009, 1:16 am

These comparisons are really strained, to say the least. At root, you have to remember that Sony is a massive multinational company with vast amounts of other products to sell, and they see their console business as part of a strategy to dominate your living room. So they don't even look at the Sony Computer Entertainment division are just one business to judge against itself. They are taking the long view, as they should, the Playstation brand is still powerful.

But getting back to what you are talking about, the video game market is vastly different now than in 1991, 1994, or even 1999. The market for video games is greatly expanded, and is much more firmly embedded in the mainstream. So you can't take what happened to company X in the early 1990s and apply it to today at all.

-Rolb

Return to “Modern Gaming”