Best NES Hockey?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Best NES Hockey?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 1st, 2009, 4:13 pm

There were at least two very good hockey games for the NES: Blades of Steel (Konami, 1988) and Ice Hockey (Nintendo, 1988).  Which is best?  Is there another NES hockey title that deserves consideration??

Adamant1

Best NES Hockey?

Postby Adamant1 » March 1st, 2009, 4:27 pm

If you want to look into Japanese-only games, "Ike! Ike! Nekketsu Hockey-bu" is fantastic. It's pretty much Nintendo World Cup, just with hockey instead of soccer (speaking of which, you need to review Nintendo World Cup, too. Best soccer game ever).

Viper821

Best NES Hockey?

Postby Viper821 » March 1st, 2009, 5:20 pm

That would depend on whether you are playing one or two players. If you are playing with a friend, Blades of Steel is superior in almost every way, especially the fights and the shootout. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to score against an expert player (like me!) but you shouldn't run into any problems. The computer, on the other hand is a joke even on hard mode and I have to handicap myself just to keep it close.

Ice Hockey is also easy, but the larger nets and lack of an arrow telling you where to position your goalie makes this one the way to go for solo play. Whatever you do, DO NOT play Wayne Gretzky hockey (unless you want to review an F- title). This is probably the worst NES game ever made and was a huge disillusionment to me as a kid. I expected a great game since it was named after the greatest player who every lived. Sadly, I found out the ugly truth soon after renting it. It's ugly, poorly programmed and practically unplayable.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Blades of Steel but Ice Hockey is also a quality title still more enjoyable than most modern hockey games.

nesfan1

Best NES Hockey?

Postby nesfan1 » March 1st, 2009, 5:46 pm

Blades of Steel absolutely rules. I picked it up a few years ago from a yard sale and didn't think much of it but man was I pleasantly surprised. I've played Stanley Cup (SNES) and Mario Lemieux Hockey (genesis) and they just sucked. With 16 bit graphics and more buttons that could do more functions, you'd think that they would work out well, but they just got it wrong.

Luke

Best NES Hockey?

Postby Luke » March 2nd, 2009, 1:49 am

I prefer Ice Hockey.

Blades of Steel was good. But I always found it really annoying how the puck always seems to deflect of the side of the goalie and into the net.

ManKind

Best NES Hockey?

Postby ManKind » March 2nd, 2009, 9:51 am

there is also wayne greztky hockey, a hockey game that was glitchy as hell and play like nhl all-star 95 on the game gear.

blade of steel is the definitive hockey game for the NES, you can't get better. Ice hockey on the other hand is best played with 2 player

QF

Best NES Hockey?

Postby QF » March 2nd, 2009, 5:30 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]If you want to look into Japanese-only games, "Ike! Ike! Nekketsu Hockey-bu" is fantastic. It's pretty much Nintendo World Cup, just with hockey instead of soccer (speaking of which, you need to review Nintendo World Cup, too. Best soccer game ever).[/QUOTE]

You have good taste. I love the Kunio games. I love how you can get new abilities from the different sports team you defeat.

Damon Plus

Best NES Hockey?

Postby Damon Plus » March 6th, 2009, 2:58 am

Ice Hockey is the best one.

Yes, Blades of Steel is very flashy. Graphics and sound are outstanding. Gameplay is not bad, either. But.... what's with the arrow? The arrow just RUINS every 2-player game because it's almost impossible to score!

With Ice Hockey, while is inferior in almost every aspect, it comes out on top on the most important one... gameplay. Not only do you have 3 different players to choose from, each one with a different way of playing with them, but as good as you could be, there's always a way to score a goal.

Not only that, but "Speed 5+No friction code= Pure genius"

Luke

Best NES Hockey?

Postby Luke » March 16th, 2009, 2:25 am

I'd also like to add that I really like how you can build your team in Ice Hockey. If you want to pick a super aggressive team with power shooters, you can pick all fat guys. Or if you want a really fast team, you can pick all skinny guys. OR if you want a well-balanced team.. you can choose a fat guy, a skinny guy, and a couple medium-sized guys.. or a slightly different mix of your personal choice.

Return to “Classic Gaming”