Japanese Gamers Anticipate Wii, Cold to PS3

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » May 28th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Here's some new info from Japan (found at Gamefront.de - May24).  It's a German website that the kind folks at the [url]www.avsforum.com[/url] have translated.  Looks like the Wii's E3 success is starting to show up in Japan (check out the reaction in Japan to the PS3 price at the bottom):

Famitsu polled Japan about what they were looking forward to after E3:

What games are you looking forward to the most after seeing E3’s offerings?

1. Zelda (Wii, Nintendo)
2. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Square Enix)
3. Metal Gear solid 4 (PS3, Konami)
4. Dragon Quest Swords: (Wii, Square Enix)
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, Nintendo)
6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, Nintendo)
7. Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
8. Monster Hunter 3 (PS3, Capcom)
9. Biohazard series (Wii, Capcom)
10. Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

What gaming hardware are you looking forward to the most?

Wii - 68.8%
PS3 - 21.0%
Xbox 360 - 7.2%
NDS - 3.0%

What do you think of the pricing for the PS3?

88.4% - I think the price is too high.
10.9% - The price is appropriate.
0.7% - The console is inexpensive.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 29th, 2006, 10:10 am

Yeah but who did they poll?  What demographics did they target?  What statistical tests did they perform on the data?  Without these details numbers are meaningless.

Besides the US is the main market anyway.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 29th, 2006, 10:18 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Yeah but who did they poll?  What demographics did they target?  What statistical tests did they perform on the data?  Without these details numbers are meaningless.

[/QUOTE]

Why not just state what you mean.  This is invalid because it doesn't agree with MY views.

playgeneration

Postby playgeneration » May 29th, 2006, 11:24 am

It makes perfect sense for most people to be looking forward to Wii, its the one thats affordable and offers something radically different to the previous generation consoles. Nintendo could have just released a powerful expensive console too, but if they did i think a lot of people wouldnt bother buying a new console at all for a couple of years.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 29th, 2006, 12:14 pm

No not at all.  You've studied stats at school right?  You realise that without rigorous mathmatical proof of where the results came from then they are nothing more than random chance? 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2006, 2:20 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]No not at all.  You've studied stats at school right?  You realise that without rigorous mathmatical proof of where the results came from then they are nothing more than random chance? [/QUOTE]

If someone could get me the stats I could run them through SPSS and figure out if it's statistically reliable at least.  I'd need more information if I was examining the method.  Anything you could get me would be good. Bluemonkey is right at this point.  Was this mailed out, was it in a gaming magazine, was it online, how were the questions worded?  These could make or break the whole thing. 

I have my doubts though if he'd be interested in seeing the data file if the article had been about how 90% of consumers said they thought the PS3 was the right price.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2006, 2:42 pm

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]
Here's some new info from Japan (found at Gamefront.de - May24).  It's a German website that the kind folks at the [url]www.avsforum.com[/url] have translated.  Looks like the Wii's E3 success is starting to show up in Japan (check out the reaction in Japan to the PS3 price at the bottom):

Famitsu polled Japan about what they were looking forward to after E3:

What games are you looking forward to the most after seeing E3’s offerings?

1. Zelda (Wii, Nintendo)
2. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Square Enix)
3. Metal Gear solid 4 (PS3, Konami)
4. Dragon Quest Swords: (Wii, Square Enix)
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, Nintendo)
6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, Nintendo)
7. Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
8. Monster Hunter 3 (PS3, Capcom)
9. Biohazard series (Wii, Capcom)
10. Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

What gaming hardware are you looking forward to the most?

Wii - 68.8%
PS3 - 21.0%
Xbox 360 - 7.2%
NDS - 3.0%

What do you think of the pricing for the PS3?

88.4% - I think the price is too high.
10.9% - The price is appropriate.
0.7% - The console is inexpensive.

[/QUOTE]

I found some stuff on it already, if anyone else can get the rest we can figure this out. 

1) Famitsu is apparently Japan's biggest game magazine (like EGM here).

2) There were 300 people polled (not a bad sample size at all if it were randomly drawn, which I doubt it was). 

However, depending on how this was done, it may be a good sample of famitsu readers, which would be like a good sample of EGM readers (probably largely a sample of hardcore gamers.  Who else buys gaming magazines and fills out surveys from them?)  The fact that mainly fanboys would have fillled it out if it were a voluntary survey is probably taken care of by the fact that, if random selection was used, there should have been an equel number of Sony and Nintendo fanboys possible (actually Sony numerically should have had the edge if anything. So statistically there should have been more Sony than Nintendo fanboys in the sample).    

However, given that the Playstation line has a very large casual gamer base, this isn't their usual target market being polled. 

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » May 30th, 2006, 12:55 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x][QUOTE=bluemonkey]

[/QUOTE]

Why not just state what you mean.  This is invalid because it doesn't agree with MY views.

[/QUOTE]

HAHA!!! Amen Brother!  And when those details show up, no matter what they are, they will STILL render the numbers meaningless.... somehow.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » May 30th, 2006, 12:59 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]No not at all.  You've studied stats at school right?  You realise that without rigorous mathmatical proof of where the results came from then they are nothing more than random chance? [/QUOTE]

50-50 is random chance.  60-40 is random chance.  But 80-20 is a little too steep for that.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 30th, 2006, 4:03 am

"Why not just state what you mean.  This is invalid because it doesn't agree with MY views."

Any college statistics student, or anyone that has taken such courses as marketing research which revolve about stats and market research such as proper survey techniques, will tell you what bluemonkey said is correct. For someone that doesn't care who will win the next generation console wars, you handle yourself strangely when people say things you don't like SSX. Your quote actually applies to yourself more, because scientifically, what bluemonkey said is correct.

Return to “Modern Gaming”