2010/1/12: Wii: Boom Blox: Bash Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2010/1/12: Wii: Boom Blox: Bash Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 12th, 2010, 7:51 pm

It took me a long time to review Bash Party.  I was hoping the game would get fun, but it never did.

I'm a big fan of Shaun White Snowboarding - this new edition is even better than last year's. 

Mario and Sonic at the Winter Games should have been a slam dunk, but there were some really bonehead design decisions.  They should have hired a play tester.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 12th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Okay, you've convinced me to pick up the Shaun White sequel. I love the first game but have been staying away from the second one because of mediocre reviews. Other reviewers have said that it is too much like the first game, but after looking at some screenshots the other day, at the very least this one looks like it has more interesting stages, such as the Paris one that you mention.

I've always had a bad feeling about Boom Blox Bash Party, and it seems my instincts were right. Unfortunately, I think developers believe that they are improving a game and adding "depth" by making it more compex. In my mind simplicity is usually the way to go, especially in a game like this. 

steer

Postby steer » January 13th, 2010, 7:35 am

I think your Mario and Sonic review is pretty good.

The dream events are very hit (and miss), the game is just not quite as fun as it could be.

Still this is not a bad family gaem by any means. Also - have to give props for Dream Figure Skating - 2 different, 3 round 'Icecapade-like' 4 charachter Ice shows in either a Mario or Sonic Flavor - pretty funny.

Oh - and Critic - Donkey Kong holds the preset Figure Skating World Record - show some respect!

No, the first time I saw it in action it was Figure Skating, Curling and Ice Hockey, and they are all pretty bland. Ice Hockey in particular - they should have dumped the NES Ice Hockey in there with 8 bit Sprites for all the charachters - would have been MUCH better!  

Last thought the control on all of these events are really quite good.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2010, 5:39 pm

[QUOTE=steer]Ice Hockey in particular - they should have dumped the NES Ice Hockey in there with 8 bit Sprites for all the charachters - would have been MUCH better! 
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you here.  I would have settled for the 8-bit gameplay with 3D characters, but the NES style of gameplay would have been a much better option.  I was going to mention that, but the review was already getting too long.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 13th, 2010, 10:10 pm

For those of you keeping score at home, I picked up Shaun White World Stage today at the Targets. They have it this week for $10 off in case anyone is interested. This one better be good, Critic, or there will be hell to pay!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 15th, 2010, 12:20 am

Am I the one person who didn't mind Bash Party? It didn't seem much different to me, a little bit more complex and light hearted and maybe enough take away the aging part but otherwise it seemed like an expansion pack of Boom Blox (like Black Hole Rising to Advance Wars).

Winter Games score I saw coming and to be honest I always preferred the DS version to Wii anyway,better controls for certain.

Never had the chance to try out Shaun White Snowboarding let alone World Stage,kinda dropped off of playing the snowboard genre after SSX Blur screwed the series up

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2010/1/12: Wii: Boom Blox: Bash Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Shaun White Snowboarding: World

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 14th, 2017, 12:09 pm

I updated this review to make mention of the four-player split-screen, which is pretty terrific. Great graphics and good pick-up-and-playability. Underrated game!

Retro STrife

Re: 2010/1/12: Wii: Boom Blox: Bash Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Shaun White Snowboarding: World

Postby Retro STrife » March 15th, 2017, 1:48 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I updated this review to make mention of the four-player split-screen, which is pretty terrific. Great graphics and good pick-up-and-playability. Underrated game!

Which one of these three reviews are referring to?

I recently bought the original Boom Blox and the Shaun White game, both based on your reviews, so that's why I'm curious.

Rev

Postby Rev » March 18th, 2017, 12:50 pm

I think he's talking about Boom Blox Bash Party.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 19th, 2017, 3:03 am

Rev wrote:I think he's talking about Boom Blox Bash Party.

That's what I was figuring too.. But after looking at the reviews, seems like it's Shaun White.

Return to “Review Feedback”