Which Games Was the VGC Unfair Towards?

General and high profile video game topics.
Truthfulpietro1

Postby Truthfulpietro1 » January 8th, 2010, 6:57 pm

My pick, so far, would be Two Star Wars Games:

1) Star Wars Bounty Hunter for the PS2: I enjoyed that game, not a terrific game, but still fun nonetheless

2) Star Wars Demolition: To be fair he reviewed the Dreamcast version. I had fond memories of the PS version.

I'm sure there are others that make him quite a contrarion for a game critic.

cid67

Postby cid67 » January 9th, 2010, 11:26 am

I have to disagree with the assessment of  Prince of Persia Sands of Time.

I Thaught the game was beutifly crafted and just oozed style and atmosphere. the dynamic betwean the prince and fara was great and realy worked well.  definatly not just another Tombraider clone.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » January 11th, 2010, 4:16 am

Almost all of his reviews are really spot on and great. But sometimes he seems a bit too harsh ore to forgiving.

Ghostbusters on the Master System. I'm sick and tired of people bashing that game thinking it's the same as the NES. Sega improved the gameplay a lot,  changed a lot of things around and made it way better. An F? Really? F is a rating only the worst games ever (like Dark Castle) should get. While Ghostbusters isn't the greatest game ever, it is fun because it lets you be a Ghostbuster.

So, when the mediocre Ghostbusters on the Genesis gets an C+ even though the Leveldesign sucks, the gameplay sucks and you always get the feeling that the license was slapped-on in the last second, the master system should get the same rating, at least.

Rescue Rangers on the NES deserves a lot better than a D it should be more of a B. Maybe a typo?

To be honest i have way more problems with his consoles reviews, those seem way to biased towards Nintendo.

How anyone can like the ugly american SNES? It looks ugly, the colors don't fit and please, just compare it to the nice japanese/european SNES.
And really? He thinks the SNES looks attractive, while the Genesis doesn't? The Genesis has a nice and slick design and Black is always better than grey, brown or any other stupid color. Besides, the NES only got an C, but it also looks better than the SNES.

On his Genesis Reviews he writes that the headphone jack is unnecessary. Everyone who spends 5 minutes for research should know that your only chance to get Stereo Sound on the Genesis 1 is over that headphone jack. So it serves a purpose, especially the Sonic games sound great with Stereo. And Sega had a lot of good reasons to put that headphone jack there (Stereo, Headphone use, it's easier to connect the Genesis with a stereo system...)

And why get the Cardboard boxes and F? If those get an F, then the NES and SNES packages should also get an F, because they also use cheap cardboard boxes and overall the production values are cheaper (Nintendo Manuals use cheaper paper, the Stickers on the Cartridges are simply paper, which makes cleaning hard and so on)

And how can he say the NES has better graphics than the Master System? The NES isn't even a match. The Master System has a bigger palette of colors (The NES can't even display yellow!), more video ram (16KB compared to 2KB), can display more sprites on screen and doesn't produce as much flicker and garbage on the Screen than the NES.

I really think the video game critic should rewrite all the console reviews

Orion Pimpdaddy

Postby Orion Pimpdaddy » January 15th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Red Alarm for the Virtual Boy.

I have most of the VB games and this is the one I've logged the most hours on.  The game utilizes the VB's stengths, especially in the 3d department.  It makes me feel like I'm flying through another dimension.

He gave it an F.

rift1

Postby rift1 » January 16th, 2010, 4:08 am

[QUOTE=GameBoy Girl]Since he seems to be on a roll of re-reviews, I thought now would be the perfect time to ask what games you'd like him to re-consider.

Here's some of mine:

Revolution X - Yes, the Saturn version is crap.  But please give the arcade version a try.  It's a blast!

S.T.U.N. Runner - In his review of Midway Arcade Treasures 3, he gave S.T.U.N Runner a D.  Please give this game another chance.  It's a great classic.

Sonic CD - As stated above, Sonic CD is not only one of the best Sega CD games, but arguably the best Sonic game period.

[/QUOTE]
Revolution X is a terrible, terrible gun game no matter where you play it.  the arcade game is a boring mess, as are all home incarnations.

STUN Runner was a fun gimmick racer in the arcade, but at home you dont get to sit on the big red cockpit, so really there is nothing to it.  The Critic reviews games based on how fun they are NOW, not through rose-colored glasses of what he remembers some arcade experience was like as a kid.  STUN Runner in the Midway collection just doesnt measure up.

Sonic CD is a game that because not a lot of people had, elitist nerds began carping about how it was the "best sonic of them all" and "blew away all other sonics" when in reality it was a rushed, pretty bad sonic thrown out there to get some dough from the vanishing CD crowd.  Calling it "one of the best Sega CD games" is as damning with faint praise as Ive heard. 

Jake

Postby Jake » January 20th, 2010, 11:28 am

[QUOTE=GameBoy Girl]Since he seems to be on a roll of re-reviews, I thought now would be the perfect time to ask what games you'd like him to re-consider.

F-Zero - Oh, come on!  This is great fun!  I don't know how you can give this game a D+, but give Super Mario Kart an A+.

Superman (Atari 2600) - Superman is a brilliant work of 4-bit art, and one of the best games for the Atari 2600.  If you know what to do, you might find it to be insanely addictive.

[/QUOTE]

HMMM, F-Zero is not even close to Super Mario Kart. Mario Kart for example has aged very well. F-Zero... I don't even wanna play anymore, and when I did recently, it was not so hot. D might be a bit harsh but plz people, it's not that good... lol

Superman, well if Superman is a work of art... that would mean E.T. would need an huge upgrade as well. Personally I like both these games Superman and E.T.. Atari only can handle so much in it's 4bit programming, so you can't expect a perfect quest game like the Zelda series. iI'd merit both around C.

Jake

Postby Jake » January 20th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Here's a few Atari 2600's that I feel should be higher graded.

- Atari 2600
Reactor (F)  I know VCG doesn't like it. That's fine, but F is way too off the track. VGC also stated that the particals seem to destroy themselves against the walls, which isn't the case. You can fly away from them, and they will chase after you... they hit the walls by accident a few times, but you really are pushing them into the walls, even if it doesn't seem like it. If the game had it so you hit them and they fly into the wall, would be way to easy... and if the particals hit against you too much.. would be impossible. In later levels the manual explains how you can ride the vortex.. and I've done that and saved myself a few times during intense play on the red vortex levels. Sooo, this game is much better then F. It's not as bad as Double Dragon, Fire Fly, Swordquest, Laser Blast and other games the VGC had awarded properly an F grade.

Venture/Tutankham/Flash Gordon... all (D-) grades.
are these really as bad as, Mini-Golf, Space Jockey, Space War which also recived the D-? Especially Flash Gordon, which VCG had said it has cheap deaths do to blind corners... well, once in a while that's true... but doesn't effect the game play anymore (if not WAY less) then Chopper Command which if you aren't careful (which is often), you will have an enemy plane slam straight into you blindly. Yes, a plane crashing into you is much more relevant and less cheap then a floating tablet BUT, CC got an A. Flash Gordon got a D-... sorry but that's just wrong.
PSS,
In Flash Gordon, you can obtain invisible shield by (shooting 4 ships down) which often protects you against that/those blind flying object/s. 
You can avoid these cheap deaths in both games, by learning the games tricks.
I think this game was just made too well and too decently fun to score D-.
Only problem I have with this game, is the playing room is kinda small in general. A bit clastrophobic, luckly I don't have that phobia.

My grades on these,

Reactor (B-)
Venture  (C+)
Tutankham (C-)
Flash Gordon  (B-)

After doing all this writting, it's all a lot of fun. "It's nothing personal... I'm just proffessional" lol. My new quote 

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » January 20th, 2010, 1:40 pm

The Orange Box.  That's probably the only review on the site that should either be revisited or removed altogether.  The review says "I can only grade Orange Box on my personal experiences," which is fine.  But when your personal experiences are so brief with a package that offers so much, it's unfair to attach a score to it. 

X-pert74

Postby X-pert74 » January 20th, 2010, 11:47 pm

The NES can't display yellow? That seems odd to me, but then again, I can't think of any games off the top of my head that have yellow in them...

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 20th, 2010, 11:55 pm

[QUOTE=X-pert74]The NES can't display yellow? That seems odd to me, but then again, I can't think of any games off the top of my head that have yellow in them... [/QUOTE]

It couldn't make a pure yellow, but it could make a close substitute.  Here are the possible colors on the NES:

Notice these here ----- ^

Return to “Video Games General”