Intellivision Update

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Jake

Intellivision Update

Postby Jake » February 10th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Well, I found an Intellivision with 6 boxed games (7 total) for $37.00 with shipping cost included (w/all hookups needed). So, I decided to give it a try and buy it on eBay.

Seller didn't mention that if it worked or not, but the way the auction was set-up seemed okay to me. So I took a risk on an AS IS, Intellivision, and lucky enough it works... seems to work quite well! Only problem is the controllers have tape stuck on the roller pads, but I think that can be removed somehow.

I saw other auctions and the cheapest with games was about $45. So, I figure seeing auctions with Intell, in nice condition with 15 unboxed games went for about $65/70 dollars. Wow.. kinda expensive. So I think I got a decent deal here.

All the boxed games have manuals and overlays except baseball is cart only and PGA Golf is missing one overlay and the manual.

Here's the 7 games it came with ,many sports titles...

1. PBA Bowling
2. PGA Golf
3. US Ski Team Skiing
4. Astrosmash
5. Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack
6. NFL Football
7. Major League Baseball (game only)

Here's a pic of the system and my first score ever, then my best score today... for Astrosmash. Stil getting used to the controllers, and they seem to be sticky like there's been tape on them... after a few more cleans and should be gone.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Intellivision Update

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 10th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Jake,

Sounds like you got a great deal, so I'm happy for you.  However, that was really risky buying a system if you didn't know if it worked or now.  I would never recommend that!  Most people who do that get stuck with a big paperweight.

I am intrigued by the US Ski Team game.  I was just playing the normal Intellivision Skiing today.  I wonder if you have a more advanced version.

As for the stickiness, you need to invest in Goo Gone, or one of the comparable products on the market.  It removes sticky residue without a hitch.

Dave

rift1

Intellivision Update

Postby rift1 » February 10th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Sometimes it's a good risk on ebay because other people stay away from the auction therefore keeping the price down.  I bought my atari jaguar CD unit for really cheap on Ebay because the description said it hadnt been tested and might not work.  I opened it up and it didn't work the first time so I posted my problem on the atari age forum and it was a really simple fix and then it worked like new

Jake

Intellivision Update

Postby Jake » February 10th, 2010, 11:49 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Jake,

Sounds like you got a great deal, so I'm happy for you.  However, that was really risky buying a system if you didn't know if it worked or now.  I would never recommend that!  Most people who do that get stuck with a big paperweight.

I am intrigued by the US Ski Team game.  I was just playing the normal Intellivision Skiing today.  I wonder if you have a more advanced version.

As for the stickiness, you need to invest in Goo Gone, or one of the comparable products on the market.  It removes sticky residue without a hitch.

Dave

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it can be risky. I actually bought 4 atari's untested and they all worked. I think the key is to check what the pic looks like, and how the seller deals, if he has many video game auctions don't by an "as is", because they probably know it has some flaw or break. If they don;'t ever sell video games and just "happen" to stumble across some, that usually can mean the eBay seller just doesn't know how to test or advertise the games/systems in descriptions. The seller I bought the Intel. from had no past video games sold... so maybe that was good... he didn't mention it worked, or not. So,
for some reason my instinct told me to get it, quick... I had only 45 mins of auction time when I found it, I took about 10 mins to think and went for it.
I'm happy I did... I'm impressed so far with the Intellivision.

Got the controllers freed of sticky, tape. Just used some oil soap gently dabbing it and scrubbing in a circle on the control disc. Got it up! Now it's smooth and just how it should be...

Much, further more on this subject, I had a very interesting feeling playing this system for the first time today, as well in taking it out of the shipping box... I' hadn't gotten a new system since about 2006? This is also the first system I bought since, NES that I had never owned previously before buying, and to make it more special I never ever PLAYED an Intellivision! It's probably the only "common" old console I never tried out, or at least seen my brother play(Colecovision).

Going back to that feeling, it's like being in childhood or warping into early 1980's... A time where I was not quite old enough to experience some of this first time around, but today I felt I was in 1981 ahh, I kept looking at this Intellivision, and seeing how it all worked, reading instructions etc. I felt I just got a really awesome toy lol. I did...

I wasn't quite old enough to get into these pre-NES systems properly besides mainly... the "Commodore 64", as it was still peaking in the late 80's. Last Ninja/Maniac Mansion was big in my house. Amazing games. Sooo... on the other hand, since I had "older" brothers... 5 to 8 years older then I... I have co-owned, Odyssey 2, Commodore 64... and even an Atari 2600(Pitfall/E.T./Asteroids/Missile Command) to be exact. My Mother once said, I hooked up the Odyssey 2 by myself at age 3. Not bad, I also knew how to keep my toys from breaking. Never broke a video game, or system.. only wore out a (COMPUTER JOYSTICK). On the contrary, I was sorta of a retro-gamer by luck! The O2 and Atari unfortunately were quickly replaced by Commodore/NES. I still enjoy Commodore a lot, and NES is not bad, but I can't deny the coolness of the '77-'83 consoles, unique games with the twitchy gurgling noisy bleeps for sound effects and the rumbling shifty music sections 2600 Jungle Hunt Final boss... yeah!, Swordquest mini games, Crypts of Chaos "eyeball" lurking at you, Reactor's industrial groove... great music clips... lol. That's just the 2600 too. 

Man, the 80's was something to remember.
Magic. 

gleebergloben1

Intellivision Update

Postby gleebergloben1 » February 28th, 2010, 12:36 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Jake,

I am intrigued by the US Ski Team game.  I was just playing the normal Intellivision Skiing today.  I wonder if you have a more advanced version

[/QUOTE]

US Ski Team is the original INTV game released in 1980. I was thrown off too, because I didn't know that was the official title.

http://intellivisiongames.com/gamepage.php?gameId=115

Return to “Classic Gaming”