Vectrex WHAT IF

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ZenZeroTron

Vectrex WHAT IF

Postby ZenZeroTron » February 12th, 2010, 1:08 pm

I've really had this stuck in my head lately........

The Vectrex was acquired by Milton Bradely shortly into it's short lifespan. Due to the crash, this wonderfull system had a lifespan of about 2 years.

As we know, Atari weathered the great video game crash just fine. They didn't fold-up shop and call it quits, unlike almost everyone else. They continued to support their systems, even the 5200 to a good extent.

Here's what I can't help but ponder......what if Atari bought the Vectrex from GCE instead of Milton Bradley??

I can't help but see Vectrex having a much larger game library and a longer life span. Think about it, Vectrex wouldn't compete with Atari's other systems, no more than DS competes with Wii. Atari could have marketed Vectrex with the idea "get the true Asteriods/Battle Zone/Tempest experience at home!".

What do you guys think?

chrisbid1

Vectrex WHAT IF

Postby chrisbid1 » February 12th, 2010, 3:13 pm

heck, what if atarisoft simply published their awesome vector games on the vectrex?  black widow, battlezone, asteroids, tempest and others wouldve been super sweet to see on the vectrex

in fact, i dont see why homebrewers havent attempted these games instead of clones of space invaders and other games that can be reproduced in a raster system

Orion Pimpdaddy

Vectrex WHAT IF

Postby Orion Pimpdaddy » March 11th, 2010, 3:46 pm

"As we know, Atari weathered the great video game crash just fine."

Actually, Atari almost bled to death.  During the crash, it was losing about $10,000 a day, and it was looking for a buyer.  There's no way they themselves could have bought anyone else.

If they had bought the Vectrex BEFORE the crash, I don't know if it would have made a difference, given the fact the video game market was flooded already, and introducing several more games onto the Vectrex probably would have diluted the market even more.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a party pooper here.

Return to “Classic Gaming”