Gameworks locations close

General and high profile video game topics.
Dennis

Postby Dennis » March 29th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I just heard that Gameworks has closed all but four of its locations, including the one in my hometown of Columbus, where GW is (was) an anchor at an upscale mall.

I always had my qualms with Gameworks (few classic games, poor maintenance, too expensive) but I will always mourn when an arcade closes.  GW had the only significant collection of pinball machines in Columbus, in addition to some rare Bemani games from Japan, the only Mario Kart Arcade in town, etc. 

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 29th, 2010, 7:58 pm

I HATED Gameworks good riddance. Ok they had some ski ball machines and like maybe 5 classic games other than that it was games that were rides of some kind. The true arcade is dead. I think there are a few out there. The one in the movie King of Kong I think it was Funzone? Not sure but I'd love to visit that place!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » March 30th, 2010, 8:51 am

ugh, gw had their issues, but dave and busters is even worse

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » March 30th, 2010, 10:08 am

[QUOTE=Pixelcade]
The one in the movie King of Kong I think it was Funzone? Not sure but I'd love to visit that place!
[/QUOTE]
As I've said in posts here many times before, Funspot in New Hampshire is my mecca. I've never been, but would love to go. The classic games that they have is unreal. Check out this list.

http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/gamelist2.htm#

Dennis

Postby Dennis » March 30th, 2010, 10:32 am

[QUOTE=chrisbid]

[/QUOTE]

In my experience, D&B is far better.  Every time I went to GW there was at least one maintenance issue.  GW also has loud house music that makes it impossible to hear the games' audio.  My local GW only had one classic game (Asteroids) in a jerry-rigged cabinet; D&B at least has some of the newer collections of classic games like Donkey Kong/Mario Bros. 

Also, my local GW always reeked of vomit and chicken wings (I'm guessing to the simulator that spins in all directions).

Still, they had the only significant collection of pinball machines and non-DDR rhythm games in town.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 30th, 2010, 11:30 am

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]
As I've said in posts here many times before, Funspot in New Hampshire is my mecca. I've never been, but would love to go. The classic games that they have is unreal. Check out this list.

http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/gamelist2.htm#
[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine the electricity bill?  That's a huge list!

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » March 30th, 2010, 11:43 am

If there is one thing I miss about the 80's, it was the arcades. Nothing was more fun than sweating bullets and trying to focus through all the noise while playing the next great title. We used to have a chain here in Eastern Canada called Electronic Avenue that was in pretty much every mall imaginable. Sadly, the few arcades that remain are now known as 'Family Amusement Centres' relegated to the back corner of a mall or movie theatre and are NOTHING like arcades of old. The old arcades brought in a few troublemakers but they also created a buzz that attracted us kids to the mall.

The only real arcade I've seen recently is (or was, it was 5 years ago) located in downtown Toronto and besides being in a downright scary location, it was a classic old school arcade. Shame that today's boring and dying malls can't put these hangouts back in!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » March 30th, 2010, 12:40 pm

[QUOTE=Dennis][QUOTE=chrisbid]

[/QUOTE]

In my experience, D&B is far better.  Every time I went to GW there was at least one maintenance issue.  GW also has loud house music that makes it impossible to hear the games' audio.  My local GW only had one classic game (Asteroids) in a jerry-rigged cabinet; D&B at least has some of the newer collections of classic games like Donkey Kong/Mario Bros. 

Also, my local GW always reeked of vomit and chicken wings (I'm guessing to the simulator that spins in all directions).

Still, they had the only significant collection of pinball machines and non-DDR rhythm games in town.
[/QUOTE]

its been awhile since ive been there.  i avoid easton as much as i can.  but i do remember when they had a gorf cabinet.  i also enjoyed playing the arcade version of monkey ball and mr driller.

but i guess the moral of the story is i do not miss arcades as much as i miss arcade machines. 

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » March 30th, 2010, 1:08 pm

HOLY CRAP!! That's a lot of games!!

There used to be an arcade near the town I grew up in, but I'm not 100% sure if it exists anymore. Sad times...

The most impressive arcade I've been to is the one at Cedar Point. It had a lot of older games, as well.

Dave1

Postby Dave1 » March 30th, 2010, 2:12 pm

It's all about Dave & Busters baby!

Return to “Video Games General”