What, no ones gonna make an ipad topic?

General and high profile video game topics.
steer

Postby steer » April 8th, 2010, 7:39 pm

http://www.edge-online.com/news/apple-ipad-supply-is-tight

[I]Steve Jobs today claimed that the company is struggling to meet iPad demand, with the tablet platform having topped 450,000 sales since its April 3 US launch.

"We're making [iPads] as fast as we can. Evidently we can't make enough of them yet so we are going to have to try harder," he said, noting that major retailers including Best Buy were experiencing sell-outs.

He added that iPad users have downloaded 3.5 million applications to date, according to an AFP report.
[B]
Meanwhile, Reuters claims that 830 games have already been developed for the platform, which has received high praise from gaming executives.[/B]

"The iPad is the fourth step in the gaming evolution," Gonzague de Vallois, senior vice president of publishing at Gameloft, told the site. "The first being the microcomputer, the second being the game console and the third being smartphones. Each of these platforms revolutionised gaming in its own way."[/I]

[IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:kVpCTi0LRB67EM:http://www.notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/scrabble-tileapp.jpg[/IMG]

Every console needs a killa app - with ipad, its Scrabble! Look, you use your iphone as a game controller!

Anyone got one yet?

I hear the Resident Evil 4 made the jump to the pad as well. Console Erosion! Look at how Steve Jobs has taken the licensing format Nintendo revolutionized for gaming and took over music, and 'here-they-come'- again!

I can't wait for the 3ds, how thankful I am that Fotress Nintendo has grown so large Apple cannot lay seige on their many game propeties!

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » April 8th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Having owned Apple products/computers my entire life and using them as my primary machines both desktop and laptop and even 5 different iPods I don't see this as that big a deal. When I saw this thing I was baffled. Still am. The Mac forum I use it's a mixed bag. It's taking an iPod touch/iPhone and making it large just like Nintendo did with the DS. RE 4 is on the iPod/iPhone and it's crap so I don't imagine it's going to be any better on the iPad. From what I see the only difference is it costs $6 more and still looks like garbage and the controls from the screenshots look identical meaning suck city.

"The iPad is the fourth step in the gaming evolution," Gonzague de Vallois, senior vice president of publishing at Gameloft, told the site. "The first being the microcomputer, the second being the game console and the third being smartphones. Each of these platforms revolutionised gaming in its own way."\

He forgot the portable gaming platform (gameboy) that was a huge revolution and still is. He might want to think about that and the types of games that work on the portable platform. Also out of those 830 games how many are nothing more than ports from iPod games to run on the hardware? And of those how many are actually good? I try to get into gaming on my iPod Touch I try real hard and the games that get the 4-5 stars I usually can't stand for more than 10 min then I erase them (gotta love the lite or demo versions).

I'll agree it would be cool to set the iPad down for scrabble and have a few people with iPods/Phones holding their letters playing off the board (can be done already on the touch/phone). Very innovative. There's a bunch of console games on Apples portable OS. Nothing new there. This is not a revolution it's a larger rehash of a successful portable OS. It's not a gaming device well it is in that it plays games but if you did a report of how it's used primarily you'd probably see internet, e-mail, movies, music, gaming.

Me personally I use my iPod Touch for Music, Movies, E-mail, Internet, Games in that order. Oh also it's easy to say 3.5 million applications to date. Hell some weeks I download 10 or 20 apps/games to try them out or they are free. Doesn't mean I keep them or use them 95% of them are garbage but they count as downloads in their system and that info can be used in an article like this.

P.S. Long live the Newton!

Josh

Postby Josh » April 8th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Yeah, I never got the big deal with this. I just don't understand the point. I have a small laptop and that's all I need.

And I leave it at home as much as I can. I think people are crazy to go about life staring at a screen and letting real life pass them by.

When I graduated last spring, I got the impression that most folks were not as mesmerized by the latest and greatest media gizmo.

In fact, I would say that being electronic media savy was becoming geeky.

Like the housing bubble and internet bubble, I think the technological bubble is about to burst - not violently but gently.

Console makers need to just focus on making RELIABLE machines that play FUN games - games that can be played with OTHER PEOPLE who are in the SAME ROOM.

Thebawwradar

Postby Thebawwradar » April 8th, 2010, 9:50 pm

[B](COMMENT REMOVED BECAUSE EXPRESSING AN HONEST NEGATIVE OPINION ABOUT APPLE IS A HORRIBLE SIN)[/B]

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » April 8th, 2010, 10:10 pm

LOL

James1

Postby James1 » April 8th, 2010, 11:15 pm

I don't see why I should pay money for an oversized and overpriced iPod Touch but whatever it's not my money people are flushing down the toilet on this thing.

andrew

Postby andrew » April 9th, 2010, 9:51 am

I saw no reason to. Weak gaming, and lousy as a laptop device. A netbook is still easily recommended over the thing. As for reading, it doesn't use e-ink so really it does everything worse.

Get a netbook, a kindle or sony reader and a DS or PSP to do everything the iPad does but so much better and for around the same price.

And iPad as a name? What a horrible and lazy name. Sounds like something found in the women's isle at the pharmacy.

gilly

Postby gilly » April 9th, 2010, 10:16 am

i don't like apple.
i use a desktop pc at home, a netbook on the go, and have a zune hd media player.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 9th, 2010, 10:27 am

i am not clamouring to buy an ipad, but i do see the reasoning behind its creation

the iphone has become the number 1 smartphone (despite lousy at&t coverage) because of its touchscreen.  in fact, there are a sizable number of people that are going with dumbphones with touchscreens over smartphones without them.

so if the response for that user interface is so great, why not attempt to import it into other products? 

touchscreens, like mice a generation ago, is the computing interface revolution of our time.  whichever company 'gets it right' will reap huge rewards.  love them or hate them, apple has always been the company willing to push things forward.  they have the inside track on touchscreen computing.  does that mean the ipad will be revoltionary as the ipod or iphone?  that remains to be seen

Dave1

Postby Dave1 » April 9th, 2010, 1:22 pm

I was reading articles about the "target market" for this, and I couldn't believe my ears/eyes.  They say it's for people more on the go who like web browsing, social networking, messaging, quick multi-media, etc.  The first and only thing that clicked in my head was, "Isn't that what the iphone/ipod touch is used for?  But much more compact?". 

Return to “Video Games General”