Best and Worst of this Site

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2010, 4:47 pm

What you like most, and least, about this site? 

What's appealing?  What keeps you coming back? 

What turns you off or annoys you? 

Please share your thoughts.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » April 9th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Obviously we all like the reviews or we wouldn't be here at all. Specifically, I appreciate the frequent updates, the fact that you provide a screenshot with each game, and the tendency to vary the systems you post a review for. Oh, and the score system of course. My biggest complaint is the search system. I loved the old search you had-- type in the game name, and every identical game and system match popped up (e.g. type in "Tomb Raider" and the whole list of TR games showed up-- along with the system name and score). The Google search serves its purpose, but it is far less intuitive and user-friendly.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 9th, 2010, 5:39 pm

I like the quality of the reviews, especially of games I've never played. What I like the least is seeing downloadable games ignored and online multiplayer ignored in reviews. I also think the Game Boy should recieve some attention, and a couple of platforms (N64 in particular) are relatively weak  in terms of number of reviews and variety to many of the other platforms covered here.

What appeals to me is what I already said, plus the variety. I like that one day you'll have a set of Atari 2600 reviews up and the next, maybe something for the Xbox 360.

What turns me off is the constant attention to a couple of topics in these forums, floods of sales statistics, etc. In that area, I much more like the sense of neutrality I get at places like AtariAge and DigitalPress where the majority of users just like good games and it isn't a constant debate over the merits and disadvantages of each platforms, each console generation, etc. The forums here seem to have too many people acting like they did in 5th grade and choosing up sides because of the console purchase they made.

Thebawwradar

Postby Thebawwradar » April 9th, 2010, 6:14 pm

BEST: Reviews, hands down, also, the other articles you write are very down to earth.

WORST: Trying to distinguish the difference between the General Forum and Critics Corner.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 9th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Also forgot to say that the Era forums are completely unneeded.

There simply isn't enough traffic to warrant having so many subforums, and myself and several others just ignore them completely. All they do is unnecessarily spread things out. In my opinion, there simply isn't enough traffic to need them and they're actually counterproductive to some subjects since many of us don't bother visiting them.

I know people like to see their favorite subject get a dedicated forum, and as I recall, that's how these came about at the urgings of some here that wanted to see their favorite thing given attention. But the reality is they're simply not needed with current traffic levels and they're actually hurting the topics that the people wanted to see given attention to.

That's my only suggestion on what to change with how you've set up and run this site.

andrew

Postby andrew » April 9th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Pro: Simple layout, concentration on vintage gaming.

Cons: Your lack of love for the n64

Just me but there's way too many Wii topics or topics turning into wii topics but that's out of your control

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » April 9th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Likes: Reviews of course what can be said that already has not been said. The forums. I love them, people here know what they are talking about and it's not a forum of flaming 12 year olds which is something rare on the internet now especially in gaming. Also I do like the way it's organized by era. I find it useful and it doesn't overload the main area.

The rating system from A+ - F is easy to understand and it's helped me find some classics to relook at. The fact you constantly update the site is a HUGE plus. Not only do you update the site but you often change systems and genres in your reviews. To me there is no rhyme or reason to the games you pick and that keeps me guessing. A huge plus at least to me is that you participate on your own forums. You seem to enjoy interacting with the readership and that goes a long way in my book. You have an RSS feed. Very nice but at the rate I visit the site it doesn't really apply to me but it is a nice feature. The sort by grade feature IS AWESOME keep it don't remove it.

Dislikes: I don't like that the handhelds are not with the systems I often forget the little box is over there. You need a site search that is not google based. It isn't as good and it looks horrible in your design having that white google box sitting there.

Wishes: More RPGs I'd be glad to help you here if needed. I have a fair amount in my collection and have been playing them since text based adventures. They do take time to write though as to play through the game can take a week or more of constant play.

Your feature on the joysticks was great. Do more features like that. I loved the pictures and the article as a whole.

A section showcasing your collection. Perhaps rare items, I don't know but it's nice to see peoples collections.

That's about all I could come up with just sitting here watching Dora with my son. Keep up the great work!

steer

Postby steer » April 9th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Well I have to admit the main thing I like is the forum community, its a great bunch of people here. For the most part people get to have there say, and group think and politics are not enforced generally. This is also the only forum I have never been banned from.

Also interesting to read your take on games, especially Wii ones. Your features are infrequent, but always fun to read! I think your system reviews are your finest writing and most interesting insights.

I really have no complaints, I don't care much for the icons, but that is no big deal.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 9th, 2010, 8:54 pm

positives - brief, to the point reviews of old school games

neutrals - modern game reviews

negatives - i like the A through F grading system, but the plusses and minuses are cop outs.  tighten up the grading system

Luke

Postby Luke » April 9th, 2010, 9:23 pm

+ Thorough reviews of most old and new game systems
+ Huge variety of game reviews available for all systems
+ Good, honest reviews with no industry b.s. or money involved
+ Site navigation is excellent. Easy to find what I'm looking for
+ The frequency of new game reviews. 2 or 3 updates a week is good
+ Reviews and message board are rated PG. No profanity or garbage

Dislikes:
- Message board posts sometimes take awhile to show up
- Message board posts sometimes don't show up or they get erased