Thanksgiving Gaming - or games that have gone to the birds

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 20th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Zeta-X, who is the artist that does the site's banners, posed this question on the other board, but I want to give it its own thread.

Are there any video games with a Thanksgiving theme?

He's thinking about making a Thanksgiving banner, but it's a tough one.  If anyone can think of any games that are even remotely related to Thanksgiving, let us know!

Greisha1

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby Greisha1 » October 20th, 2010, 11:37 pm

There's a South Park game (on the N64/PSX??) where you shoot turkeys.

(probably not too Thanksgiving related) There's a pie-throwing mini-game in the Three Stooges for the NES.

QF

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby QF » October 20th, 2010, 11:44 pm

Hunting games?

snakeboy1

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby snakeboy1 » October 21st, 2010, 12:01 am

Didn't that South Park game for the N64 have a bunch of turkeys in it?

Adamant1

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby Adamant1 » October 21st, 2010, 1:07 am

Animal Crossing has a Thanksgiving party with a unique thanksgiving furniture set to collect. That's the closest I think you'll get.

Other than that, there's Timber, I guess? Do you still connect lumberjacks with Thanksgiving?

oldschoolgamer

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby oldschoolgamer » October 21st, 2010, 5:33 pm

Any game where eating a turkey restores your health.

hogfan

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby hogfan » October 21st, 2010, 9:30 pm

Don't you eat a turkey to get fat in the Metal Slug games? I can't think of any video games involving pilgrims. The closest I can think of would be any Pocahontas games that came out for the Disney film. But that's around two decades too early.

According to wikipedia, Sid Meier's Colonization covers the time period. But it goes from 1492 to 1850, so it may not cover the pilgrims in any detail or at all.

Adamant1

Thanksgiving Games?

Postby Adamant1 » October 22nd, 2010, 1:08 am

There's Colorado, where you play a Davy Crocket-lookalike running around axing indians in the face, but I don't think that's too much in the Thanksgiving spirit.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » November 5th, 2013, 10:38 pm

The critic enjoys seasonal gaming, and October gets scary games, but how about November with Thanksgiving (in the US)?

{Edit: I merged this with a 2010 thread}

In honor of American Thanksgiving, here are some games to try:

Joust is as close to fighting on turkeyback as you can get. I like the 7800 port. I like Joust period.
Angry Birds would seem a good choice, on your device of choice.
Duck Hunt on the NES. Any excuse for a light gun game as anyone can play.
Sid Meiers Colonization was mentioned in the older thread, but since you can run Dosbox on android, you can play this on your mobile device. Hoody hoo!
Uncharted Waters on the Genesis (and SNES I think) is a trading game where you can also explore the New World. Pirate games, even if sorta the same time, don't fit the mood. Better for September.
Turok Dinosaur Hunter on the N64 for your heroic native american. Did you know Turok goes back to Dell Comics back in the 50s? Fileting triceratops since 1954. Or there are some native americans in fighting games too if you prefer that.
For the other side, best I got for a pilgrim is the ultra difficult Chakan on the Genesis. He seems based on a Robert Howard character, Solomon Kane. Or you can play Scott Pilgrim on your modern console.
To bad America wasn't colonized by japan instead...could play Shinobi with ninja magic.
How about Montezumas Revenge on the sega master system for a little native payback.
How about cooking mama on your DS?
Guess you need a football game in there too - how about football on the Odyssey 2?

And finally, break out Pac Man on your device of choice.
Why Pac Man for Thanksgiving?

because its a maize game! Sorry, I know that was corny.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 6th, 2013, 12:58 am

I think any game that accentuates the fall in any manner fits Thanksgiving. Since Thanksgiving and Christmas are a lot closer together with Black Friday.

Return to “Video Games General”