Zelda

General and high profile video game topics.
Crevalle

Zelda

Postby Crevalle » April 21st, 2005, 4:47 pm

You seem to be a Zelda/Link fan, so I'll ask you this: do you think I will find the new Legend of Zelda game more if I play the older versions? I've literally never played a Zelda/Link game before (although I did just purchase Wind Waker and I'm about 30 minutes into it). I just ask because I enjoyed Doom 3 a lot more because I knew a lot of it's history. Do you think the same would hold true with Zelda?

If so, what games do you recommend? SNES A link to the Past?

Thanks.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Zelda

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 21st, 2005, 8:30 pm

Yeah, I agree that having played past versions of a game enhances your enjoyment. The Zelda series tends to reuse old music and sound effects, making them feel familiar and comforting. In addition, there are also many parallels and references to the older games. I would definitely recommend Link to the Past (SNES). It's the most perfect Zelda title I've ever played. I'm currently working on Zelda the Minnish Cap.

Dennis

Zelda

Postby Dennis » April 22nd, 2005, 12:17 pm

The most perfect title, EVER.  Period.  IMO.

But if I were you, I'd pick up that Zelda collection for GC and start from the beginning.  It doesn't have Link to the Past, but it has the two NES games and the two N64 games.

Bubba 23

Zelda

Postby Bubba 23 » April 22nd, 2005, 12:17 pm

I would definately consider purchasing the Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past. It's one of my favorite games of all-time, and you can easily find it for only 10-15 dollars. I suggest getting Ocarina of Time for the N64 while you're at it. If you don't have an N64 you can get the Legend of Zelda Collectors Disk with Legend of Zelda, Legend of Zelda II, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask but it's rather hard to find, not available new in stores, and costs upwards of $45+ on Ebay.

Crevalle

Zelda

Postby Crevalle » April 22nd, 2005, 12:33 pm

I'm starting to get a tad confused. So, some of you are saying the best one so far is "A link to the past" on the SNES. But, it's not included on the GC Zelda collector pack?

Could someone give me a sequential list of all major Zelda games, and then which ones are "must haves"? Thanks.

Also, are the ports to the GC as good as the originals?

Crevalle

Zelda

Postby Crevalle » April 22nd, 2005, 12:34 pm

Ok, I've re-read everything, and it seems that I should play A link to the past and OoT.

As it stands, I'll buy the GC collector's disc, which will include OoT. Then, will I have to literally buy a SNES to play A link to the past? Is it ported anywhere? Thanks.

Johnson73

Zelda

Postby Johnson73 » April 22nd, 2005, 12:51 pm

You can get A Link to the Past on the GBA.  The game also comes with The Four Swords.  Definitely buy a Collector's Disc, because Ocarina of Time is, in my opinion, not only the best in the series but also possibly the best game I've ever played.  The other three games are also excellent.

mappy mouse pd

Zelda

Postby mappy mouse pd » April 22nd, 2005, 4:24 pm

Here are all the Nintendo-made Zelda games in order of release. The Capcom games are fun, but lack something I can't quite put my finger on.

Legend of Zelda (NES)

Fewer puzzles than later games, with gameplay focusing on hacking, slashing, treasure hunting and exploration. Basic, yet addictive gameplay.

Adventure of Link (NES)

Sidescrolling hell. Terrible level design and bad gameplay. The music is pretty cool, though. "I am Error."

Link to the Past (SNES)

A huge leap forward for the series. Great gameplay, lots of secrets and puzzles. The best game in the series.

Link's Awakening (Gameboy)

Brilliant game. Just as good as Link to the Past in many ways, with more variety.

Ocarina of Time (N64)

Very good game, but more uneven than other Zelda games. You can hunt ghosts and store them in bottles.

Wind Waker (GCN)

Ocarina of Time with cel-shaded graphics and boats.

Legend of Zelda: The Hog Rider (GCN)

Great graphics, but the bazookas seem out of place in a Zelda game. Also, who thought it would be a good idea to let Link rap?

Johnson73

Zelda

Postby Johnson73 » April 22nd, 2005, 4:31 pm

Don't forget Majora's Mask.

mappy mouse pd

Zelda

Postby mappy mouse pd » April 22nd, 2005, 4:33 pm

Oh yeah. I've never played it, so I can't say much about it.

Return to “Video Games General”