The Perfect Controller

General and high profile video game topics.
Blueguy93

The Perfect Controller

Postby Blueguy93 » January 13th, 2011, 8:14 pm

What is the best controller ever made for a console? I can't really decide a #1 controller, so I'll put up my favorites

Atari 2600 Controller: Only one button and a joystick, but it has a timeless quality I love.

Nes Controller: Everyone loves this controller. A rectangle with a d-pad and 2 red buttons. The gamers control

Gamecube Controller: Very comfortable analog stick and triggers. Better than the N64 controller

Playstation 2 Controller: One of my favorites, The analog sticks are the most comfortable ever and it feels nice on your hands (That's what she said)

Xbox 360 Controller: The best controller of todays generation. The Live button looks really cool, and the analog sticks are comfortable. A lot of buttons, but it's inuitive.

Wii Controller: Obviously the most demanding, the Wiimote is awesome. Hold it sideways, forward or with a nunchuck. It's not the most comfortable, but it has a nostalgic quality to it.

Your thoughts?

Leo1

The Perfect Controller

Postby Leo1 » January 13th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I also love the standard CX-40 Atari joystick. Just wish it was a bit more durable.

I love the standard SuperNes control pad (Although start/select and the shoulder buttons can fail over time). Also, I love the wireless Xbox 360 gamepad. It's just about perfect besides having a near useless d-pad.

Josh

The Perfect Controller

Postby Josh » January 13th, 2011, 10:24 pm

No mentiion of the the SNES controller - huh? Hands down the best controller ever made. It's simple and ergonomic with a nice button layout.
Nintendo D-pads rule - nuff said.

snakeboy1

The Perfect Controller

Postby snakeboy1 » January 13th, 2011, 10:32 pm

I think my favorite is probably the standard NES controller:  very simple, very comfortable, very durable (believe me, I know). I also like the Genesis 6 button controller quite a bit. The original Xbox controller feels nice in my hands, and I love the triggers especially for racing games. In my opinion the Wiimote/nunchuk combo is probably the most comfortable controller. You can pretty much place your hands in any position you want since it doesn't force you to keep them together. I used to like the Sony contoller a lot, but over time I've liked it less and less. I actually do like it a lot for (the very few) games that require the d-pad for movement, but it just doesn't seem to mold to my hands very well.

oldschoolgamer

The Perfect Controller

Postby oldschoolgamer » January 13th, 2011, 11:03 pm

The N64 controller, although I know some people won't agree with me.  I've noticed that many of us who like it consider it to be the most comfortable controller we've ever used, but there is a significant number of people who really hate it.

David

The Perfect Controller

Postby David » January 13th, 2011, 11:11 pm

I think the second gen Saturn controller was awesome, with six face buttons and a nice D-pad.  The large, simple Genesis controller comes in second.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Perfect Controller

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2011, 11:27 pm

I'm all about the Dreamcast controller.  Big buttons, responsive triggers, and it's big so you have something to hang onto.

Too bad the wire comes out the wrong end.

Jake

The Perfect Controller

Postby Jake » January 14th, 2011, 2:04 am

The most comfortable and decent controllers are Genesis and SNES.
Nothing has been as cosy, compact and effective to use.

NES I didn't include, it has "sharp sides" which isn't comfortable after a while... but still a fine controller and worth the honorable mention.

I'd also include the Odyssey 2 for being reliable, accurate and easy to use.

Better then Atari 2600, because I felt the rubber over the stick, is too "phat" with the Atari joysticks, and also some of those 2600 joysticks were/are as stiff as a ... BOARD. I said board !

That plastic white stick would not get any easier to push in sharp directions
after years of play...!!! Unless you got lucky and bought one with some give.... also the fire button, sometimes on certain sticks feels like you hit the button twice when you only pushed it once. What's up with that?!

I love the look and design of Atari 2600 joysticks but they are CRAP in general. The domes inside can break suddenly, and so do the wires....

Leo1

The Perfect Controller

Postby Leo1 » January 14th, 2011, 3:13 am

I wish I liked the Dreamcast controller. But I miss not having a second analog stick and the placement of everything on it just seems slightly off of what my hands would prefer. It just isn't comfortable for my hands.

Need to get a controller adapter someday so I can use a more comfortable controller on it. Incidently, how would you save if you were using something like a Playstation controller adapter on a Dreamcast? Do they usually include a VMU slot on the adapter?

JesusSaves

The Perfect Controller

Postby JesusSaves » January 14th, 2011, 6:22 am

The perfect controller would probably be the Dualshock 1. Maybe the Gamecube Wavebird. Both very ergonomic and effective controllers, but the Z button, D-pad, and C-stick usually aren't utilized effectively on the Gamecube controller. If I had to choose one controller that I would use for every console, I would probably go with the Dualshock.

The most comfortable handheld is definitely the Game Gear. You've got to experience it to believe it, but that thing is VERY comfortable.

Return to “Video Games General”