2011/1/29: Wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 29th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Looking forward to hearing your comments about this latest set of Wii reviews.

Nicholas Pozega

Postby Nicholas Pozega » January 29th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Good, but just one error--Donkey Kong Country's graphics were done in pre-rendered CGI, not claymation.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » January 29th, 2011, 1:39 pm

As one of the biggest DKC series fans around from the promotional video Nintendo Power sent out in 1994, I am happy to see the latest installment retains all those things that made the series great. If they reused the music from the first game, that wasn't really a bad idea, for that was always a strong point. Are there bonus levels like the series had, and extra coins and all that stuff still?

Sonic Colors looks nearly like a spiritual upgrade from the Adventure series on the Dreamcast. Good to see Sega didn't screw this one up.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » January 29th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Sweet! I love all 3 games! Sonic Colors needs the comeback icon. 

MythicRobDog1

Postby MythicRobDog1 » January 29th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Great job Critic! Your words really express my feelings as well when playing those platformers. Just one thing, do you think DKCR deserves an "Extreme Difficulty" icon? You do remark on some of the frustrations you had while playing and I definitely sympathize.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » January 29th, 2011, 3:01 pm

my son and i really enjoy playing DKC, but it seems like one of those games that you play for about an hour, then need a break. don't know why. i've played bioshock non-stop, but there's no way i could do that with DKC.

my only complaints with the game:

1. just like super mario brothers for the Wii, sometimes it gets confusing who you are when playing multi-player.
2. we've gone through 30 lives on one board (got tons of coins on the first level to load up on lives). the level of difficulty is pretty insane, although i really don't consider that much of a negative.
3. on some of the mine cart rides, only one player can really control the cart, which makes multi-player kind of meaningless.

solid reviews as always, and i would give DKC a B+.

steer

Postby steer » January 29th, 2011, 3:39 pm

3 great reviews, fun reads. One nice thing about this platformer explosion (besides the high quality in general) is all the games are so different from each other. Reviewing these  3 at the same time made for nice contrast. Sonic is my next purchase for Wii, methinks.

I am not being a nag - but just putting Ivy the Kiwi? on your radar if you are looking for a Wii game in the future!

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » January 29th, 2011, 6:02 pm

In your DKC Returns review, you said that the ground pound was a new feature.  DK could do that in the original game by holding down and Y.  In fact, you were encouraged to do that often because bunches of bannanas were hidden in places and could be unearthed that way.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » January 29th, 2011, 7:05 pm

DKCR:  You gave it A-,  if agree from my own experiences playing it. I never played the original SNES ones much but I did LOATHE the N64 one. This one is more up my alley and is very well done on all fronts. I particularly like pounding DK's arms with the Wiimote/nunchuks. 

Sonic Colors: You scored it less than DKCR with a B+, I guess I agree with that. Agree with the blue squares being the lamest power. Did you notice you can spin dash when you are the spiky ball?  Overall at first I wasn't sure SC was that good but by the time I had played through most of the levels, I was enjoying it quite a bit.

Nice that the old franchises still have some life (and fun) left to them.

stika1

Postby stika1 » January 29th, 2011, 7:27 pm

sonic colours needs a "return to glory" badge imo

Return to “Review Feedback”