2011/1/29: Wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » January 30th, 2011, 8:43 pm

I have to strongly disagree with the Donkey Kong Country Returns review. It definitely did NOT keep with the spirit of the original DKC games. The originals had dark, atmospheric graphics and music, limitless variety, and great control. DKC Returns lost all of that.

The dark atmosphere and great music were replaced with a cartoonish look and generic jungle music. The underwater levels, all animal buddies (except Rambi), and levels that do more than scroll to the right were removed. The precise controls were even ditched in favor of controls that force unreliable "waggle" for no reason.

The other reviews are great though.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 30th, 2011, 9:24 pm

I finally just beat Donkey Kong Country Returns and absolutely loved it. One of the criticisms of the game, its high difficulty, is one reason why I liked it so much. I completed every level (by myself, never let the computer do it for me) and never once used any of the extra hearts or invincibility items (okay, I did buy some balloons, so sue me!) It was extremely satisfying to beat and felt like I really accomplished something.

@JesusSaves - I would be curious to know how much of the game you've played. I certainly wouldn't describe much of the music as "generic jungle music." The factory level was particularly terrific as the music had a very Pink Floyd "Welcome to the Machine" vibe. Loved it.

Overall, I would say DKC Returns is probably my favorite game from last year and probably in my top 5 Wii games overall.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » January 31st, 2011, 8:11 am

[QUOTE=snakeboy]@JesusSaves - I would be curious to know how much of the game you've played. I certainly wouldn't describe much of the music as "generic jungle music." The factory level was particularly terrific as the music had a very Pink Floyd "Welcome to the Machine" vibe. Loved it.
[/QUOTE]

I'll admit, I've only made it to the 2nd world (Beach).

jbltecnicspro1

Postby jbltecnicspro1 » January 31st, 2011, 4:44 pm

Good reviews (like always).  It looks like I get yet another reason to borrow my brother's Wii.  Sonic Colors looks promising - which is great considering most of his games have sucked big time on the consoles as of late (except Sonic 4).

a1

Postby a1 » January 31st, 2011, 8:30 pm

[QUOTE=JesusSaves]I have to strongly disagree with the Donkey Kong Country Returns review. It definitely did NOT keep with the spirit of the original DKC games. The originals had dark, atmospheric graphics and music, limitless variety, and great control. DKC Returns lost all of that.

The dark atmosphere and great music were replaced with a cartoonish look and generic jungle music. The underwater levels, all animal buddies (except Rambi), and levels that do more than scroll to the right were removed. The precise controls were even ditched in favor of controls that force unreliable "waggle" for no reason.
[/QUOTE]

I like both games but must ask, you really miss the water levels? I hate water levels; I thought everyone did. As for the animal friends, enguarde only works for water, the ostrich is unesessary with Diddy's jetpack able to float, and I found spider, and bee levels in the old Donkey Kong Country games to be extraordinarily unfun and frustrating.

Samael

Postby Samael » February 1st, 2011, 10:13 am

I loved the underwater levels, but I also loved the underwater temple in Ocarina of Time and probably shouldn't be trusted.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 1st, 2011, 2:47 pm

[QUOTE=Samael]I loved the underwater levels, but I also loved the underwater temple in Ocarina of Time and probably shouldn't be trusted.
[/QUOTE]

Uh... that just adds to rather than subtracts from your cred.  The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time was difficult yes, but it was one of the best designed water stages in any game I've ever played.

For that matter, Majora's Mask's water temple was also brilliant.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » February 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm

Uh critic, do you think Sonic Colors should get the comeback icon at all? I think it should.

a1

Postby a1 » February 1st, 2011, 4:01 pm

[QUOTE=JesusSaves][QUOTE=snakeboy]@JesusSaves - I would be curious to know how much of the game you've played. I certainly wouldn't describe much of the music as "generic jungle music." The factory level was particularly terrific as the music had a very Pink Floyd "Welcome to the Machine" vibe. Loved it.
[/QUOTE]

I'll admit, I've only made it to the 2nd world (Beach).
[/QUOTE]

Well you certainly were quick to judge. The game actually has a lot of variety in its level designs and you should really give it more of a chance.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 1st, 2011, 5:21 pm

[QUOTE=Blueguy93]Uh critic, do you think Sonic Colors should get the comeback icon at all? I think it should.[/QUOTE]

I think it's hard to justify considering there seems to be a new Sonic game every few months!

Return to “Review Feedback”