2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 22nd, 2011, 1:17 pm

I have revised my reviews of Sonic 1, 2, and 3, which really deserved more thoughtful and complete reviews.

This also sets the stages for my upcoming Sonic 4 review.

Comments??

Devon

Postby Devon » February 22nd, 2011, 1:29 pm

Launch Zone Act 2.

THAT pissed me off more than Hydrocity.

Geforcefly1

Postby Geforcefly1 » February 22nd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Sweet reviews as usual.  Sonic 2's multi-player mode was pretty fun, but the split screen scrunch was because the game ran at double the resolution (I think it was 320x448i instead of 320x224p).  It also slowed down the game greatly, especially when one player was invincible (the game ran at half speed a lot).  The 68K CPU just didn't have the horsepower for that mode unless overclocked.

The thing that drove me crazy the most in Sonic 3 was the spinning cylinder in Carnival Night 2.  Hardest obstacle ever.  Still otherwise a fine game though.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » February 22nd, 2011, 1:57 pm

It is so nice to see those three games sitting together on the front page.  I also like the fact that you reexplored them in preparation for your review of Sonic 4.  Let's hope you don't suffer any physical affects from all that blast processing!

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » February 22nd, 2011, 3:11 pm

Funny, I always thought Sonic 3 was the easiest in the series, beating the first two games with all the chaos emeralds was a monumental feat for me as a kid, but I had no problem beating the third several times with all the emeralds, while the special stages were dissapointing compared to those in Sonic 2, I still prefered them over the ones in the first game, as those felt entirely too random and weren't much fun.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » February 22nd, 2011, 5:16 pm

Sonic 1: One of my all time favorite games. This is why I prefer 2D Sonic's to 2D Mario's (I'm a big fan of both though)
Sonic 2: Agree on the review. The special stages were amazing, and the gameplay was the fastest in the series in my opinion.
Sonic 3: B+?! It gets an A from me. The levels were awesomely designed and the gameplay was huge and fun. The Hydrocity act 2 zone wasn't hard like you said critic. I'll have to agree with Geforcefly in saying that Carnival Zone act 2 was a living hell for me! Otherwise a solid game

Number1Star1

Postby Number1Star1 » February 22nd, 2011, 5:37 pm

Sonic 1 (A+)- is my favorite Sonic ever (music, graphics, gameplay) are great even for today's standards. For 91' they were insane.

Sonic 2 (B+)- I played this the most as a kid because me and my bro could play together (I repped Tails). Anyways great game for sure, but I feel it is overrated and (more of the same and less of a sequel) The game goes by to fast, big surprise there was supposed to be a few more zones but were scrapped to rush the game out for Christmas.

Sonic 3- I never got into this game until last year so no bonus nostalgia points here. Let me say that this is a legitimate fricken sequel. "You said the shortest Sonic" umm... the stages take 5/6 Mins or longer to beat and are HUGE Buffalo. Sonic 1/2 most stages take about 2mins. Also you mention the save feature well lets not forget when combined with Sonic and Knuckles this game takes about 2.5 Hrs to play through.
Anyways I think you should score Sonic 3 and Knuckles as one game (yes have your individual scores for each game but a special review for the games locked on to each other which is the full Sonic 3)
Sonic 3 stand alone cart A-
Sonic and Knuckles stand alone cart A
Sonic 3 and Knuckles Locked On A+ with out a doubt.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 22nd, 2011, 5:52 pm

In reading the review content rather than looking right at the scores, it sounds as if Sonic 1 is your favorite critic.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » February 22nd, 2011, 8:25 pm

Ah, the days of Super Mario World vs. Sonic the Hedgehog. Now those were the golden days of platforming! Sonic 2 is my favorite of the Genesis games. I think the pinnacle of my platforming career was beating Sonic 2 with all the emeralds. Playing with the near-invincible Super Sonic was an amazing experience back then.

a1

Postby a1 » February 22nd, 2011, 9:45 pm

I think you need to have a Sonic 3 & Knuckles review. Alone, neither are the best Sonic, but together (as they are meant to be) they are the ultimate Sonic game.

Return to “Review Feedback”