2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Samael

2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Postby Samael » February 23rd, 2011, 12:45 am

I was surprised to find myself in full agreement with you, critic. Loved the first two. The new additions to Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles seemed like chores that creeped in from another game entirely.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » February 23rd, 2011, 1:28 am

[QUOTE=a]

I think you need to have a Sonic 3 & Knuckles review. Alone, neither are the best Sonic, but together (as they are meant to be) they are the ultimate Sonic game.

[/QUOTE]

I hear this so often, and I never understood the logic behind it. How does tossing a bunch of levels from one mediocre Sonic game onto the levels from another mediocre Sonic game create anything but "a mediocre Sonic game with lots of levels"?

And I agree that Sonic 1 was the best.

Critic, since you wanted opinions on review length elsewhere, your Sonic 1 review might be a bit on the long side. I'd advise against going beyond that length.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » February 23rd, 2011, 8:21 am

I never really liked the first Sonic on Genesis, i always prefered the Master System version in that case. The rotating labyrinth is horrible, the level design is far from perfect.
They really did improve with Sonic, everything was better, the bonus stage was impressive and it's just so much fun to play.
Sonic 3 is  great, though it is really supposed to be played with Sonic & Knuckles combined as it is one big game.
Personally i would exchange the ratings of Sonic 1 and 3 with each other

Michael D

Postby Michael D » February 23rd, 2011, 1:26 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=a]

I think you need to have a Sonic 3 & Knuckles review. Alone, neither are the best Sonic, but together (as they are meant to be) they are the ultimate Sonic game.

[/QUOTE]

I hear this so often, and I never understood the logic behind it. How does tossing a bunch of levels from one mediocre Sonic game onto the levels from another mediocre Sonic game create anything but "a mediocre Sonic game with lots of levels"?

[/QUOTE]

The logic is this; Sega planned Sonic 3 to include all of the content from Sonic and Knuckles in a single game (the fact that badniks from Sonic and Knuckles were listed in Sonic 3's manual and that there were a few Sonic and Knuckles levels in the hidden stage select screen give credence to that).  Because of technical constraints, they were split into two games released 8 months apart, and were then brought back together as the single game they were intended as via Sonic and Knuckles' Lock-On system.

The reason people want a review of Sonic 3 and Knuckles is probably because of the extensions to the game's length, the extra variety in characters, the character specific paths, areas and sometimes, even bosses (which adds replay value), and extra variety in the game itself, with different level set-ups, themes and gameplay mechanics.  And looks at each of the Lock-On variants of Sonic and Knuckles (and mentioning that 3 and Knuckles were to be a single game) would be nice additions to a Sonic and Knuckles re-review.

Also, I'm surprised that Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are apparently considered mediocre now (not counting the Critic, because B+ is still quite a good score).  Am I sensing that the Star Wars fanboy effect is creeping in on this franchise (by which, I mean that because of too many mediocre to bad modern Sonics, it's now only acceptable to love/like the first two)?

a1

Postby a1 » February 23rd, 2011, 1:26 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=a]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Obviously I don't think the levels in those games are mediocre...

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » February 23rd, 2011, 1:38 pm

[QUOTE=a]

[/QUOTE]

I think there's a good chance he'd give it a lower score.  He hates it when companies release incomplete games and patch them later.  That's essentially what Sega did with Sonic 3, and then they went and charged for the patch.

Number1Star1

Postby Number1Star1 » February 23rd, 2011, 1:42 pm

Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are far from mediocre there is endless exploration to be had in each zone.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » February 23rd, 2011, 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=a]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Obviously I don't think the levels in those games are mediocre...

[/QUOTE]

But you don't think they're "the best levels" either, so how come a game made up of a bunch of levels that aren't the best and another bunch of levels that aren't the best somehow produce "the ultimate Sonic game"? The levels don't get any better by there being more of them.

You already know the Critic's opinion on these levels, given his reviews of those two games, so why is there a need for a separate "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" review that gives it a B+ and reiterates the same "tired levels with annoying features" arguments from his Sonic 3 and S&K reviews?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » February 23rd, 2011, 1:58 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]
Also, I'm surprised that Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are apparently considered mediocre now (not counting the Critic, because B+ is still quite a good score).  Am I sensing that the Star Wars fanboy effect is creeping in on this franchise (by which, I mean that because of too many mediocre to bad modern Sonics, it's now only acceptable to love/like the first two)?

[/QUOTE]

That's "mediocre in comparison to the first two" - and no, I never thought too highly of S3 and S&K. The levels were filled with too much new and weird crap that just slowed down the experience, they didn't always make it apparent which way you were supposed to go, and I never liked the way Knuckles controlled. The bonus levels were hard and annoying, and I didn't like how you had to search for those hidden rings to find them. This is how I've always felt about those games, not something new.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » February 23rd, 2011, 2:33 pm

Flashback, 1991 (or was it 92) when SONIC came out......

THE GAME WAS SO HARD TO GET, I HAD TO SPECIAL ORDER IT AT ELECTRONIC BOUTIQUE (this was before Amazon.com) for......$79.98.

Thats right, it cost me EIGHTY DOLLARS to get Sonic, a game later packed in and now worth about 99 cents!

AND IT WAS WORTH IT. Sonic was hella fun.

HOWEVER.....(WHY AM I WRITING in capitals so MUCH).......I do not think Sonic stood up to sequals as well as Mario. Super Mario one two and three were all completely unique, while I feel every Sonic game looks,sounds and plays pretty much the same. Played one, played em all. Although I did appreciate Sonic twos quicker play.......only two of the same worlds instead of three.

Sonic to me is more about fantastic 16 bit SFX and music then the "action adventure/search everywhere" play of Mario.

Still, The first Sonic is right up there with Pac Man in unforgettable gaming experiances!

Return to “Review Feedback”