2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
JesusSaves

2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Postby JesusSaves » February 23rd, 2011, 5:13 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with all three reviews. I'm a bit surprised that Sonic 3 got a such a high score seeing how much you criticized it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 23rd, 2011, 7:04 pm

Looks like I pretty much hit the mark with my old Sonic reviews.  So how do you think I'll rate Sonic 4?

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » February 23rd, 2011, 7:46 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Looks like I pretty much hit the mark with my old Sonic reviews.  So how do you think I'll rate Sonic 4? [/QUOTE]

A Grade of D, with an ET award

RedsDead

Postby RedsDead » February 23rd, 2011, 8:35 pm

Sonic 1 is still my favorite due to the lack of the spindash. I thought that thing made Sonic 2 too easy.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » February 23rd, 2011, 8:39 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Looks like I pretty much hit the mark with my old Sonic reviews.  So how do you think I'll rate Sonic 4?
[/QUOTE]
I imagine it will get an ET award, and get a score somewhere between C and D+

weblit1

Postby weblit1 » February 23rd, 2011, 8:42 pm

Great to see a new review of Sonic 1,2,3 and I agree 100%.
Still my favorite game series of all time!

Michael D

Postby Michael D » February 23rd, 2011, 10:41 pm

[QUOTE=Blueguy93][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Looks like I pretty much hit the mark with my old Sonic reviews.  So how do you think I'll rate Sonic 4? [/QUOTE]

A Grade of D, with an ET award[/QUOTE]

I hope not, because it's a lot better than that.  But whatever it is (and assuming he doesn't dock it somehow merely for not being on a disc and/or being episodic), I'll look forward to the review.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 23rd, 2011, 10:56 pm

I don't know if it would be appropriate to mention in the review or not, but apparently Michael Jackson was involved with some of the music for Sonic 3.  It is not clear how much involvement he had in the end product, though, because the initial scandals against him surfaced before the release of the game.  The whole thing has a very "He said/She said" nature to it, though, so I don't really know what to believe.  I will say that, being an avid MJ fan myself, after learning this I played through the whole game just to listen to the music, and I believe there is a huge influence in the soundtrack that sounds very similar to the music in the "Dangerous" album.  But who knows...

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 23rd, 2011, 11:03 pm

http://kotaku.com/#!5418198/yes-michael-jackson-did-work-on-sonic-the-hedgehog-3

a1

Postby a1 » February 24th, 2011, 1:41 am

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=a][QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=a]

I think you need to have a Sonic 3 & Knuckles review. Alone, neither are the best Sonic, but together (as they are meant to be) they are the ultimate Sonic game.

[/QUOTE]

I hear this so often, and I never understood the logic behind it. How does tossing a bunch of levels from one mediocre Sonic game onto the levels from another mediocre Sonic game create anything but "a mediocre Sonic game with lots of levels"?

[/QUOTE]

Obviously I don't think the levels in those games are mediocre...

[/QUOTE]

But you don't think they're "the best levels" either, so how come a game made up of a bunch of levels that aren't the best and another bunch of levels that aren't the best somehow produce "the ultimate Sonic game"? The levels don't get any better by there being more of them.

You already know the Critic's opinion on these levels, given his reviews of those two games, so why is there a need for a separate "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" review that gives it a B+ and reiterates the same "tired levels with annoying features" arguments from his Sonic 3 and S&K reviews?

[/QUOTE]

You know you're actually right about it being needless for the critic to review it; he doesn't like the levels in the games so to him it wouldn't change the score.

However, I never said that the levels in Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles weren't the best. I said that alone neither game is the best Sonic game. I love the all the levels in Sonic 3 and all but one in Sonic and Knuckles (not a fan of the desert one), and the games also have my favorite special stages of the Sonics. The special stages in Sonic 2 are pretty good, but they're too darn hard.

The only reason I say that neither alone is the best is because Sonic 3 is so short it feels incomplete (which it really is), and in Sonic and Knuckles you can't play as Sonic &Tails without locking on to Sonic 3. After Sonic 2, I don't like playing with just Sonic, and Knuckles is cool, but I play through with him as a novelty, not for the real experience. That's why Sonic 2 is my favorite if they're all treated as standalone games.

I do like either Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles alone more than Sonic 1, however. I think Spring Yard zone is the worst of all the 2d Sonic levels, and I hate not having a spin dash. Also, Sonic 1 has my least favorite special stages.

I understand if you don't agree with me, but that's the "logic behind it." I don't think of Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a mediocre game with lots of levels. I think of it as a fantastic, epic 2d adventure.

Return to “Review Feedback”