Galactic Attack: C+??

The readers post their own reviews.
Hopper76

Postby Hopper76 » June 30th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Galactic Attack (RayForce in Japan) gets the same score at GigaWing on Dreamcast, and a lower score than GigaWing 2? What is this? Despite their nice graphics, the GigaWing games were crap. Galactic Attack is one of the best overhead shooters in recent memory, behind Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun and The Raident Project. It's definitely the best shooter for Saturn, and was even followed by two sequels, RayStorm and RayCrisis on PlayStation (both also very good). In my opinion, Galactic Attack is THE most overlooked 2-D shooter of the modern era. I agree that the voiceovers make no sense and are out of place, and the music leaves a lot to be desired, but the gameplay and graphics are fantastic! Considering how much the Critic enjoys a good 2-D shooter, I'm surprised at the low score it received. Maybe he needs to revisit Galactic Attack and see if he agrees with himself.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 1st, 2006, 12:30 am

[QUOTE=Hopper76]Galactic Attack (RayForce in Japan) gets the same score at GigaWing on Dreamcast, and a lower score than GigaWing 2? What is this? Despite their nice graphics, the GigaWing games were crap. Galactic Attack is one of the best overhead shooters in recent memory, behind Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun and The Raident Project. It's definitely the best shooter for Saturn, and was even followed by two sequels, RayStorm and RayCrisis on PlayStation (both also very good). In my opinion, Galactic Attack is THE most overlooked 2-D shooter of the modern era. I agree that the voiceovers make no sense and are out of place, and the music leaves a lot to be desired, but the gameplay and graphics are fantastic! Considering how much the Critic enjoys a good 2-D shooter, I'm surprised at the low score it received. Maybe he needs to revisit Galactic Attack and see if he agrees with himself.
[/QUOTE]

My feels exactly, I liked layer section even more than some of treasures efforts honestly.  And a LOT more than giga wing.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 2nd, 2006, 8:06 am

I only have RayCrisis not the earlier ones.  My feeling was that it was kind of mediocre though with lovely presentation.  Giga Wing was exciting and got you pumping.  Ray Crisis was good but not great in my opinion.

Hopper76

Postby Hopper76 » July 6th, 2006, 4:52 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]I only have RayCrisis not the earlier ones.  My feeling was that it was kind of mediocre though with lovely presentation.  Giga Wing was exciting and got you pumping.  Ray Crisis was good but not great in my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

Giga Wing was terrible. Terrible gameplay. Can't hold a candle to RayForce, RayStorm or RayCrisis.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 6th, 2006, 11:17 pm

[QUOTE=Hopper76][QUOTE=bluemonkey]I only have RayCrisis not the earlier ones.  My feeling was that it was kind of mediocre though with lovely presentation.  Giga Wing was exciting and got you pumping.  Ray Crisis was good but not great in my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

Giga Wing was terrible. Terrible gameplay. Can't hold a candle to RayForce, RayStorm or RayCrisis.
[/QUOTE]

Giga wing is really just a dodonpachi rip off minus the balance.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 7th, 2006, 12:03 am

I also have to agree that the first GigaWing is fairly vanilla.  Its got the basics down, but nothing really stands out to me.  Of all the modern shooters I play, GigaWing sees the least amount of action.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 7th, 2006, 2:32 am

Giga wing and it's ilk were the begining of the end for me with modern shooters.  I don't like bullet hell games, I never have.  I don't find pattern memorization to be the least bit fun, and giga wing didn't even have that it just had a lot of credits.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 7th, 2006, 5:02 am

Well I found the Ray/Layer Section series stunningly mediocre myself so we'll just have to disagree.  All I know is when I play Gigawing I get a rush.  Never happens with the Ray series.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 7th, 2006, 1:09 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Well I found the Ray/Layer Section series stunningly mediocre myself so we'll just have to disagree.  All I know is when I play Gigawing I get a rush.  Never happens with the Ray series.

[/QUOTE]

From what I gather the later layersection games do suck, but the first one is ace pure and simple.  How do you get a rush from a game that has no tension?

Return to “Reader Reviews”