2011/3/13: Dreamcast: Fighting Force 2, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 13th, 2011, 1:33 pm

I have revised my two Marvel Vs. Capcom Dreamcast reviews, raising their grades.  This is in preparation for my upcoming Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 review.

Fighting Force 2 is a brand new review.

What do you think?

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » March 13th, 2011, 1:55 pm

You're not the only one who feels teh same about MvC2. The day I got it off Ebay, I knew how amazing it was going to be. It DOES keep on giving, even to this day! We could go on for years about who the best teams are (for major spammage I like Iron Man/War Machine/BB Hood)

To help your review out a bit, SonSon is from the slightly obscure 1984 Capcom arcade title of the same name (one of his Super moves involves a Capcom "Pow" icon turning the opponent into another Capcom "strawberry" icon before EATING it). Tron Bonne (and the Servbots) were from the Mega Man Legends series on Playstation, and Ruby Heart was a Capcom original character created for MvC2.

I have both of them, and LOVE them to death! Well deserved A+ grade for sure.

Josh

Postby Josh » March 13th, 2011, 2:46 pm

I actually did warm up a lot to Marvel vs. Capcom 2. It's actually a lot deeper than it initially appears.

But you have got to knock it down at least a letter grade for the horrible music that shouldn't have ever been used in a fighting game. That "gonna take you for a ride" crap that repeats over and over during the character selection is bad enough without mentioning the actual matches. I had read a lot of complaints about the music and thought that they were probably just exaggerated. No, they weren't. The music sucks hard and affects the overall experience in a negative way.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » March 13th, 2011, 4:15 pm

As always, the reviews are nicely-written and entertaining.  I agree with Josh about the "take you for a ride" music repeating a lot.  It kind of gets on my nerves and stays in my head for a while, even when I'm done playing.  Otherwise, it's a fantastic game, even for a single player.  It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, there are some nice boss battles near the end that make the Goro/Kitaro fights look bland in comparison.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 13th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Good reviews.

May I suggest you give X-Men VS Street Fighter a go, too? It's technically the first game in the series, where most of the gameplay features originated.

(make sure to get the (Japanese-only) Saturn version, though, the PS1 version is terrible)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 13th, 2011, 7:18 pm

I guess I can see how that "take you for a ride" tune might get on your nerves, but I think that's off-set by the main menu music, which is some of the best I've ever heard in a game!

I didn't know about X-Men Vs. Street Fighter but I'll check it out!

Josh

Postby Josh » March 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm

You like the actual music that plays during the fights . . . the jazz stuff?

Well, whatever floats your boat but most people don't care for it at all. Racketboy has an article that links to a MvC2 ROM with better music. Also, many requested new DLC music for the MvC2 download on PS3/XB)X360. Capcom said they would but so far have not.

I am one who doesn't often pay attention to music and could usually care less but the jazz tunes grated on me pretty bad and just didn't fit the frenetic gameplay. It's like listening to classical music while watching the Super Bowl. It just ain't right.

Other than that, it's a great game. I love the fact that it has a great deal of difficulty. That's what makes the single player aspect of a fighter good. It's what Tatsunoko vs. Capcom lacked.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » March 13th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Can't wait for the new mvc3 review

Damon Plus

Postby Damon Plus » March 14th, 2011, 2:30 am

Altough not my absolute favorite DC game, I like it alot. I think it's cool that the system got its first A+ grade.

BTW, I really hope that MvsC3 gets punished for Capcom policies with Dlc's.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » March 14th, 2011, 10:50 am

I accidentally deleted my MVC2 save file a couple of years ago
I had all 56 characters unlocked!

Return to “Review Feedback”