Modern Warfare 3 Subscription Fee?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2011, 6:21 pm

Anybody heard the rumors that Modern Warfare 3 will require a subscription fee on top of your normal Xbox Live subscription?

Not sure if there's any truth to it, but it wouldn't surprise me.  With COD games breaking records, Activision might feel like they have a captive audience.

This is yet another drawback to the on-line scene.  There is nothing preventing companies from instituting arbitrary monthly fees at any time!  If they think enough people will pay it, they'll probably give it a try.

hi there

Postby hi there » June 3rd, 2011, 7:25 pm

Yes - it is an 'elite' subscription.

You pay to play extra maps and some such nonsense. Well, as you know Critic, much of LIVE is kids plaing on Dad's dime, so this should go over well. First Actrivision beat Guitar Hero to death - I guess it is Call Of Duty's turn.

How can EA match this?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 4th, 2011, 12:03 am

I was willing to pay a subscription for online multiplayer (And have since the early days of Xbox Live on the original until letting my subscription lapse this month).

But I'm not going to pay a subscription to utilize a service I'm already subcribing to.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » June 4th, 2011, 12:36 am

Luckily for me, I don't give a damn about multiplayer online, so this matters little to me, that said it does sound like another cheap ploy to suck more money from gamers wallets.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » June 4th, 2011, 10:19 am

It sounds like the game itself will be a standard release, but that Activision will offer the "Elite" online subscription thing as a means of social networking related to the game.  It won't be required to play the game in single player mode or even online; it's just one more potential layer.  My hunch is that they're doing it in order to get people used to the idea, and then maybe the following iteration of the game would migrate more of the 'features' to the Elite service.  One small step for games, one giant leap for Activision.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 4th, 2011, 10:31 am

Bear in mind games like FFXI and Phantasy Star have required additional monthly fees anyway as per MMOs on PC.  I won't be paying it, though I do pay for Live.  Ultimately the quality of service is dependant on how much you pay.  From what I understand the CoD Elite package is not required to play online, but does include all expansion map packs plus early release access.  If you're that into a game that you know up front you'll want all the expansions it may not work out that more costly to subscribe.  And for Activision it works out better as they get a regular income rather than spikes come map pack release time.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 4th, 2011, 1:09 pm

I haven't heard about this rumor, but every call of duty game has played exactly the same online since Call of Duty 4 modern Warfare.    If this is the case, ill just stick the old COD games, because its probably the same experience.    Having to pay 2 separate fees to play a game online on top of the 60 dollar purchase price is absurd, but will probably happen someday.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 4th, 2011, 2:53 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]I haven't heard about this rumor, but every call of duty game has played exactly the same online since Call of Duty 4 modern Warfare.    If this is the case, ill just stick the old COD games, because its probably the same experience.    Having to pay 2 separate fees to play a game online on top of the 60 dollar purchase price is absurd, but will probably happen someday.
[/QUOTE]

They so haven't.  Modern Warfare was perfection with a balanced upgrade path, decent netcode and a fantastic Search and Destroy mode.  Modern Warfare 2 had a completely broken upgrade path that gave massive advantages to players who had spent more time on the game.  The netcode was shot to hell and was so laggy to the point where you'd see how you died on the killcam and were a long distance away from where you were positioned in your game.  And Search and Destroy was completely broken by the cheap heart detectors.

andrew

Postby andrew » June 4th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Basically what I get out of this is that your COD status is determined by the size of your wallet, not your skill level.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 5th, 2011, 5:01 am

[QUOTE=andrew]

Basically what I get out of this is that your COD status is determined by the size of your wallet, not your skill level.

[/QUOTE]

There's been no indication that it will affect experience points game in game.

What it says is that for those who spend a lot of time dedicated to this one game each year they can pay a bit more, which is a very small amount when amortised across the time they play the game for, to get some value added extras that support their dedicated play that more casual fans would get no benefit from.

Return to “Video Games General”