Weirdest/Ugliest-Looking Game Consoles?

General and high profile video game topics.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 4th, 2011, 10:34 am

[QUOTE=Leo]You must've never had the cd attachment.

[/QUOTE]
I've got the CD add on and I've never seen a toilet with a huge splayed base like that.  It also only vaguely looks like that from that very one particular angle (and only when a cartridge is inserted - even then the proportions are all wrong) and definitely doesn't when in use.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 4th, 2011, 9:41 pm

You're taking it too literally. Of course it doesn't look like a small model of a toilet and no one ever claimed it did.

We're talking about vague similarities here. That should've been a given and you just agreed that there is a similarity there, so I'm not sure why you were always so confused by it.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 5th, 2011, 4:59 am

[QUOTE=Leo]You're taking it too literally. Of course it doesn't look like a small model of a toilet and no one ever claimed it did.

We're talking about vague similarities here. That should've been a given and you just agreed that there is a similarity there, so I'm not sure why you were always so confused by it.[/QUOTE]

Does this sound like he was talking about a vague similarity to you:
"In terms of ugliness? Jaguar, Jaguar, JAGUAR! I mean, with the CD attachment it looks like a toilet!"

Because it certainly doesn't to me.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » June 5th, 2011, 3:02 pm

The APF Imagination Machine is actually quite an advanced system.  I can't say that I abhor the looks at all - it was much better than daisy-chaining peripherals to the TI-99/4A (and took less space).  It does take a little space though in my display.

The Daewoo Zemmix model that has been pictured (CPG-120) is the best model for the system, due to its MSX1/2/Turbo capabilities.  I don't have this model, but had a chance to grab a loose system a couple of years ago but the price was a bit high (around $1500 USD).

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 5th, 2011, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

[QUOTE=Leo]You're taking it too literally. Of course it doesn't look like a small model of a toilet and no one ever claimed it did.

We're talking about vague similarities here. That should've been a given and you just agreed that there is a similarity there, so I'm not sure why you were always so confused by it.[/QUOTE]

Does this sound like he was talking about a vague similarity to you:
"In terms of ugliness? Jaguar, Jaguar, JAGUAR! I mean, with the CD attachment it looks like a toilet!"

Because it certainly doesn't to me.
[/QUOTE]

Again, I don't think he meant it literally looked just like a toilet. He's exagerrating and making fun of the vague similarity that is there when the cd add-on is attached to the system.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » June 6th, 2011, 8:58 am

You have a Daewoo Zemmix, Marriott_Guy?  That's some pretty hardcore collecting right there.  I didn't think anyone would have even heard of this system, let alone own one.

Did you get ahold of one in South Korea?  I can't imagine they're too easy to find anywhere else.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » June 6th, 2011, 10:26 am

Yes, I was a pretty serious hardware collector (around 180 different consoles) and focused on the rare and obscure.  The Zemmix shows up on eBay once in a blue moon, but most of them are obtained through purchases from fellow hardware collectors (both in the US and abroad).  MSX based systems (home computer) had a much stronger following in Europe and Japan than it did here in the US.  Though the Zemmix line of consoles originated in Korea, most that I have come across are from collectors in the UK.  This just might be due to the my particular circle of acquaintances though. 

I can say with a high degree of certainty that this line is not prevalent in Japan.  I have a friend who is an avid/renown seller of rare systems that lives in Japan and he has not come across one in many, many years.  MSX based computers are a dime a dozen in Japan, but the Zemmix is rarely seen.

Jake

Postby Jake » June 6th, 2011, 10:42 pm

I pretty much agree with all of the pics there, but Odyssey 3 doesn't look weird or ugly at all to me. It's not any worse then the Colecovisions design. Ok, maybe the cyclops fire buttons on the joystick look odd, but that's all I found. It looks cool,
not ugly...

Atari XEGS also insn't that weird, it does has ugly pastel buttons but probably not much worse then SNES's purple grey box theme.

My ugly or weird pic is the ASTROCADE... looks like an old ATM machine, or
vending machine to get a snack out of! What's up with the Gun/Toothpaste controllers...? lol doesn't even look like a game system... doesn't mean I wouldn't snatch it up, if I found one...

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » June 7th, 2011, 5:25 pm

I've read that the Zemmix was technically a pirated system.  Apparently, Korea didn't have copyright laws, or they didn't recognise Japanese copyrights.  Either way, this may explain why the system is hard to find in Japan...

Also the Zemmix may not be the only MSX-based video game system.  The Colecovision & Sega SG-1000 are supposedly simular to the MSX computers, as is the Casio PV-1000.

Return to “Video Games General”