Does vibration control make a difference in gaming?

General and high profile video game topics.
Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » June 21st, 2011, 8:27 pm

Ever since the Rumble Pak came with Star Fox 64 on the N64, gaming software has automatically installed rumble feedback into all the controls on every system ever since. Heck Metal Gear Solid's Psycho battle controlled your PS1 controller!!!

I think the advantage of this is that it feels like you're in the game more than you would not using a vibration option. It really does make a difference in my opinion. Explosions, crashes, attacks, and jumps to the ground usually all have the vibration in it, and they make me more drawn to gaming as a result.

Your thoughts on vibration in video games? Has this been done before the N64 and PS1 on a console that I didn't mention? 

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » June 22nd, 2011, 11:05 am

There's nothing remotely enhancing, or enticing, about Vibration motors. These are just reactionary and reflexive features. We're already to the point of full-body experience in video games- just wait until the Wii U, Xbox 360 Successor, and Playstation 4 are at the end of their lifespan. Soon 3D will matter less to Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. We might have an option to control every game that exists on the platform with just our bodies. 

In short, motorized reaction technology is not that great in it's prime.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 22nd, 2011, 11:13 am

To me it makes a huge difference in FPS multiplayer games.  With it turned off you have to rely more on visual cues instead of immediately trying to find cover when you're getting shot.  It helps a great deal.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » June 22nd, 2011, 11:52 am

It depends on the game. Rez (and thus Child of Eden) would be rubbish without it. Racing games also seem better, although the rumble can be too strong.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 22nd, 2011, 3:59 pm

[QUOTE=Julio III]It depends on the game. Rez (and thus Child of Eden) would be rubbish without it. [/QUOTE]

Except that, you know, it isn't .

Also it hasn't been on every system, the PS3 went quite sometime without it.  I can take or leave it to be honest, nice feature but not a deal breaker.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 22nd, 2011, 5:18 pm

It's effective when used sparingly.  I vaguely remember playing one of the old Resident Evil games and the controller started beating like a heart during one of the more suspenseful parts of the game.  It was very effective.

...it may have been Metal Gear Solid... or both.

Luke

Postby Luke » June 24th, 2011, 12:07 pm

I rarely use Vibration on my game controllers. But when I do, it's typically in fps games. It can make it a little more fun to fire machine guns.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 24th, 2011, 4:39 pm

My first experience with controller vibration was with Gran Turismo (can't remember if it was 1 or 2).  When you rolled over grass the effect was absolutely amazing.  I think the only other time it vibrated was when you hit something. 

If the designers had it vibrate the whole time you were driving (to simulate the engine) it would have been unbearable, but used here and there it was fun.

Return to “Video Games General”