Fans of The Elder Scrolls, beware!!!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 13th, 2011, 9:43 pm

I haven't played Oblivion yet....

*Hides behind couch*

It seems like it would be my type of game, I just haven't bought it yet.  I was interested in the PS3 GOTY edition until I was told by multiple PS3 owner that the game contains a bug that wasn't present in the 360 version that makes it impossible to cure yourself once you've become a vampire.  The bug corrupted save files and essentially broke the game.  PS3 owners have complained and complained, asking for an update to fix the bug.  Eventually, the company came outright and said, "We have no plans to fix the bug."  Bethesda has now released the 5th year anniversary edition to this game, including some expansions and I thought it would be perfect for guys like me, but I wanted to ensure that they had fixed the bug that was present on the 2007 GOTY edition.  Bottom line?  They haven't.  In fact, they haven't done anything.  The disc is EXACTLY THE SAME as the one found in the GOTY edition from four years ago.  Exactly the same.  Same bugs and same expansions; no trophies for PS3, no DLC for 360 or PS3.  

Bethesda has now released three major games (including Fallout 3 and New Vegas) that are notoriously bug-ridden.  They need an exterminator in their office or something.  I'm pissed because all I've heard is how amazing this game is and I'm left wondering if I should gamble 30 dollars in hopes that the game doesn't freeze or worse.  What's wrong with this company.  Worse yet, my most anticipated game of the year is ID's Rage, which is published by Bethesda.  They've screwed PS3 owners before, so why stop now?

I guess the original port of the game (2007, before the GOTY later that year) is the one I should buy, but it's becoming kind of rare.  I just can't think of another software company that does this type of thing.  Games come with bugs sure, but the company at least attempts to fix it in an effort to please fans.  But not these guys.  Thoughts?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 13th, 2011, 10:40 pm

I haven't had many issues playing Oblivion. Had to clear the cache once and I perhaps had 1 crash after 60 hours or so of gameplay (On the Xbox 360). Not bad for such a complex piece of software, so I won't be taking them to task about it (I don't own either of the Fallout titles, so I can't really defend or criticize either one).

What is this bug? Depending on the situation, it might be easy to avoid. You'd be aware that you've contracted the disease that turns you into a vampire and there is ample opportunity to easily reverse that before it takes full effect.

So if the issue is in the long and annoying quest to reverse it once you've become a full vampire, it's easy enough to avoid entirely. I think all you do is go pray at one of the chapels in the various cities if you've contracted it. And if you do want to become a full vampire, just make sure you're sure about it and that you have a backup save to return to in case you end up regretting it and can't get cure yourself with that long and annoying quest.

About 30 of my hours were as a vampire, although I eventually cured myself with the Vampire's Lair expansion that the PS3 version never got. You'd not be missing much by avoiding it entirely. I thought it would be fun and intentionally contracted it, but it quickly got annoying and the few benefits just weren't worth the hassle (Having to feed every few days so sunlight didn't hurt you quickly got on my nerves). Then I didn't want to do that long and drawn out quest and couldn't figure out how to easily do it in the Vampire's Lair for a long time and was stuck with it.

Algus1

Postby Algus1 » July 15th, 2011, 3:35 am

Bethesda games have long been "Buyer Beware"  Their QA is awful and their games are very buggy.   It is a pity because their games are also very good.  I lost plenty of game hours due to bugs in Morrowind and plenty of older titles.

Stuff they've only published has been really buggy too: Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Trek: Legacy come to mind. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 15th, 2011, 8:33 am

I sunk well over 120 hours into it and never once turned into a vampire.  It's easy to avoid doing that altogether.  I wouldn't pass on the game entirely based on that one single bug. 

There are so many other ways to enjoy the game.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 15th, 2011, 2:53 pm

@Leo - I don't have the details about what the bug did specifically, but check other gaming sites, amazon.com reviewers of the PS3 edition, and Bethesda's blog itself.  Hundreds of players have all said the same thing; "Once you turn into a vampire, you can't go back."  I don't have more information than that, but this is still well documented and I highly doubt that it has anything to do with the process of becoming cured.  It's simply a bug and Bethesda hasn't denied it, they just say they won't do anything about it.  Also of note, this is only in the GOTY edition, so I'm going to buy the original edition in order to avoid the bug.

@Algus - well, that makes me very worried.  Because Rage is being published by Bethesda.  Crap.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 15th, 2011, 5:16 pm

The thing about the Bethesda games is you don't have just one save, it saves PC game style.  For example at one point I had 60 saves for one of my characters in Oblivion.  If one did go bad you could just go back to a previous one 15 minutes earlier, no big deal.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 17th, 2011, 9:25 am

[QUOTE=JWK]Thoughts? [/QUOTE]Buy a 360.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 18th, 2011, 9:11 pm

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK
Thoughts?
Buy a 360.[/QUOTE]

Buy a new system for a $10 game...  sounds reasonable.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 19th, 2011, 2:29 am

[QUOTE=JWK][QUOTE]Originally Posted by Luke Quote: Originally Posted by JWK Thoughts? Buy a 360. [/QUOTE] Buy a new system for a $10 game... sounds reasonable. [/QUOTE]Search your feelings. I'm sure there are other 360 games that you'd like to play.

Return to “Modern Gaming”