Motorstorm Apocalypse Outrage

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2011, 7:03 pm

I was reviewing Motorstorm Apocalypse over the weekend, and I thought it was decent although a little easy.

Anyway I had my friend Chris over on Monday so we could give the split-screen mode a try.  We were absolutely floored to discover that you need to be ON-LINE to play the multi-player split screen!!!  Unreal!

I understand that the game companies want you on-line (to maximize their online earning potential) and I know companies have done some pretty underhanded things in this regard (like only make leaderboards available if you're online). 

But this takes the cake.  We've reached a point where you can't even play a basic off-line mode unless you're on-line.

For the record, I DID try to enable my PS3 network for the sake of the review.  But as soon as I enabled it, it tried to download some system updates and got stuck in the process.  Funny how my PS3 wireless has so many issues yet the Wii next to it can stream Netflix with no problem.

Anyway we were absolutely disgusted, and Chris told me that under no circumstances could I give this game anything higher than a C+.

It's a shame, and yet another black eye for Sony who publishes the game.  Ironically, their on-line network is the LAST one you'd want to get on! 

Shame on you Sony.  You're shredding every last bit of goodwill you've earned over the last two generations.  You are pathetic.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » July 19th, 2011, 7:16 pm

It's kind of like Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, which forces you to log into PSN every single time you want to play it.  Gaming is not what it used to be.  It's all about screwing over the customers nowadays. 

I will say, however, that the Wii's Netflix streaming is pretty crappy, to be honest.  But, hey, at least it's free (if you're willing to pay extra for Netflix streaming, since even Netflix is trying to screw people over now).

a1

Postby a1 » July 19th, 2011, 7:33 pm

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis](if you're willing to pay extra for Netflix streaming, since even Netflix is trying to screw people over now).

[/QUOTE]

I understand being upset about a price increase, but I'd hardly call it screwing people over. Things have to increase in price all the time. Netflix is going to have to pay more for streaming rights, so the cost has to be passed down to the consumer. 

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 19th, 2011, 8:16 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=MoonMetropolis](if you're willing to pay extra for Netflix streaming, since even Netflix is trying to screw people over now).

[/QUOTE]

I understand being upset about a price increase, but I'd hardly call it screwing people over. Things have to increase in price all the time. Netflix is going to have to pay more for streaming rights, so the cost has to be passed down to the consumer. 

[/QUOTE]

Netflix has actually said otherwise.

They claim this was done because the DVD market was healthier than they believed and that this will help protect that segment of the market (I don't think anyone quite understands that logic, but that's what the company is saying).

But that's venturing into off topic territory...

micky1

Postby micky1 » July 19th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Why does this matter to you? i love playing my friends online and cannot see why if you have the internet you wouldnt want to plug your Ps3 into it. I know the updates take too long but its surely worth it since it also fixes bugs in games. As for wireless i wouldnt know since for some reason no wireless internet has ever worked in my house (it must be some crazy interference from something)

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » July 19th, 2011, 8:59 pm

[QUOTE=micky]Why does this matter to you? i love playing my friends online and cannot see why if you have the internet you wouldnt want to plug your Ps3 into it. I know the updates take too long but its surely worth it since it also fixes bugs in games. As for wireless i wouldnt know since for some reason no wireless internet has ever worked in my house (it must be some crazy interference from something)
[/QUOTE]

But what happens when Sony unveils the PS4 and the PS3 network goes down?  Will anyone be able to play their PS3 anymore, with all the games being online?

Forcing people to go online for PS3 is a lot less obnoxious than forcing people to go online for Xbox Live, though.  After all, you have to pay Microsoft just to play Xbox Live.  As if Microsoft is somehow desperate for money.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » July 19th, 2011, 9:22 pm

This is exactly why I don't do online gaming.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 20th, 2011, 2:35 am

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]you have to pay Microsoft just to play Xbox Live.  As if Microsoft is somehow desperate for money.
[/QUOTE]There's a lot of work put into the service so that you can enjoy it, sir. 

Luke

Postby Luke » July 20th, 2011, 2:40 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Anyway we were absolutely disgusted, and Chris told me that under no circumstances could I give this game anything higher than a C+.
[/QUOTE]That's ridiculous. I understand your issue with the online. But you're over-exaggerating about a very small portion of the game. 

andrew

Postby andrew » July 20th, 2011, 11:39 am

[QUOTE=Luke][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Anyway we were absolutely disgusted, and Chris told me that under no circumstances could I give this game anything higher than a C+.
[/QUOTE]That's ridiculous. I understand your issue with the online. But you're over-exaggerating about a very small portion of the game. [/QUOTE]

I agree with critic. For all the crazy rants he's gone on lately, this one is totally on the money. Split-screen that needs online one the dumbest blunders I've ever seen.

Return to “Video Games General”