3DS Is Becoming Virtual Boy 2

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 29th, 2011, 1:35 am

[QUOTE=Michael D]If what I said wasn't true and if it wasn't on the way to being a Virtual Boy-like disaster, why did Nintendo do what they just did?  [/QUOTE]

Easy, to spur on growth because of the softer than expected sales and to counter Sony's planned handheld now that they're aware of the MSRP they've set. Hard to see why you'd make the leap from this that it's on the way to being the next Virtual Boy. They misjuidged their sales expectations and perhaps didn't have enough quality software available in time for the launch window. Trying to address that is hardly spelling out doom for this thing.

Heck, successful systems have even seen price reductions just prior to launching. I seem to recall that the PSX saw a price change in the wake of the Saturn just prior to it's launch. And it certainly isn't so out of the ordinary for this to happen 6-12 months after launch.

And you're not the most objective person. You spent 5 years here predicting the imminent doom of the Playstation Portable in numerous threads and the thing ended up selling 70 million units to date. I suspect you're letting your personal feelings cloud your judgement here, too (Not that you're the only one here guilty of that since we all have been, I've certainly done it here numerous times in the past, such as when Nintendo announced the name for their current console).

But I do agree that they've made some stumbles. I think they ignored traditional gamers far too much on the Wii, they allowed too much junk to be released on both the Wii and DS, they didn't focus enough on attracting quality 3rd party software, they let the successful DS needlessly wither with a lack of quality software well before it's replacement was even announced, they perhaps hit the release button a bit prematurely with the 3DS, etc.

But to suggest that the 3DS is going to be the next Virtual Boy, even if they've made some missteps, just seems foolish. Heck, Wikipedia's 3DS entry shows the best selling game on the platform as approaching 2 million units in sales already. So there are millions of these things already out there.

Even if they stopped production today, this has blown away the Virtual Boy in terms of sales so it automatically can't be the next Virtual Boy. And considering the DS is at 150 million units sold so far, a failure for this is going to be something like selling 70 million units (A failure only in terms to a comparison to it's predecessor). A Virtual Boy disaster was never even in the cards here based on reputation alone.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » July 29th, 2011, 6:46 am

I am quite surprised at Nintendo's earnings report but not surprised on the 3DS. It was far too expensive initially. And they have released so many new versions of the DS over the years they didn't really showcase this one as a brand new machine.

I've only played on one once, but it seemed like really old tech. The screen resolution is terrible, way below modern phones. The graphics are just as good as the PSP, which is what, 5 or 6 years old, and way below moden phones. The touchscreen isn't multi-touch which is again really out of date. The 3D isn't to all tastes and I was really dissapointed with the 3D photos.

Nintendo launched the online late and there is a distinct lack of original software. It's two biggest games are 3 years and over 10 years old respectively.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » July 29th, 2011, 8:50 am

I think that when Nintendo drops the price of a piece of hardware this much, this soon, it shows that it has under performed in a way that is not insignificant. 

I don't think it is fair to compare this system to the Virtua Boy at this point. There are, however, grounds to draw attention to the sales data and draw inferences.

My 2 cents: Nintendo has released so many iterations of the DS in such a short span of time that the 3DS seems less like a new platform or more like a more expensive DS. 

Nintendo is stealing shelf space away from itself!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 29th, 2011, 12:53 pm

I just tried the demo unit at Gamestop with DEAD OR ALIVE.

I think this is a system based on a gimmick, if ever there was one. The 3D looks impressive while passively watching it, but makes your eyes water while trying to play it.

Take away the 3D and the graphics are identical to my DSlite.

The only game that interested me was PACMAN/GALAGA DIMENSIONS. VGC, please review this one!

250 bucks for this.......we poor people can't afford that. And if I had 250 clams I'd buy a Wii before this. Its not a complete piece of junk, but its not high tech by todays standards either. I agree, its going to be another VIRTUAL BOY. I'll wait for the 7DS!

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » July 29th, 2011, 1:27 pm

It also has not helped Nintendo in the eyes of the consumer that they habitually have incremental upgrades for their portable systems. Look at the DS alone, it has been upgraded like 3 times! It would make sense to think people may be waiting to see what the next incremental upgrade for the 3DS will be in a few months. Bigger screen? different colors? maybe another button or two added? C'mon Nintendo.

Josh

Postby Josh » July 29th, 2011, 2:03 pm

I lot of people are talking about the lack of games and the price point but ALIENBLUE hit on the main thing. 3D is simply annoying to many people.

I really can't understand Nintendo. They're a big company and I would think that they would have market researchers who would tell them that 3D simply doesn't sell. Last Christmas season, retailers were dropping all kinds of deals to sell 3DTV's and they still sold poorly. Opinion poll after opinion poll clearly show that people just don't care for it.

Although I don't care for EA, their CEO stated what I believe to be true, namely, that 2D screens "provide the greatest entertainment experience" http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1184923p1.html .

I'm sure that they'll get the sales up a little with some good games and from the huge fanbase but I don't think it's going to do well.

For some reason, Ninty has always been obsessed with 3D. But if they had did some research they wouldn't have made such a dumb mistake.

TheSentinel

Postby TheSentinel » July 29th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Alien,  The graphic capability of the 3DS FAR exceeds the capabilities of the first DS.  It's actually quite a powerhouse.  Also, whoever said that it has PSP level graphics is also wrong.  I have both and the 3DS blows the PSP out of the water.  Until the PS Vita comes along, the 3DS is easily the most powerful handheld game console on the market (I'm looking forward to the Vita, too).  

It's a shame that Nintendo led the charge with "It's 3D!" because the 3D is far from it's best feature.  They need to be touting the fact that it's a dramatic graphics upgrade from the original DS.  It has all the great qualities of the first DS but is now more than powerful enough to run console-level games, too.  I think that's actually been part of the 3DS's initial marketing problem... too many people think it's just a DS with 3D tacked on.  Even if the the 3DS shipped without 3D capability, it would still be a substantial upgrade from the DS.  With this price drop and Nintendo system-selling games around the corner, I'm guessing the 3DS will take off in a big way.  It's far, far from being the next Virtual Boy.  

... and if the 3D bothers someone, they can turn it off... and still have an extremely powerful, fun console to play.

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » July 29th, 2011, 2:16 pm

[QUOTE=Ken]

It also has not helped Nintendo in the eyes of the consumer that they habitually have incremental upgrades for their portable systems. Look at the DS alone, it has been upgraded like 3 times! It would make sense to think people may be waiting to see what the next incremental upgrade for the 3DS will be in a few months. Bigger screen? different colors? maybe another button or two added? C'mon Nintendo.

[/QUOTE]

And Sony hasn't done that with the PSP?

Luke

Postby Luke » July 29th, 2011, 5:20 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]The only game that interested me was PACMAN/GALAGA DIMENSIONS. VGC, please review this one! [/QUOTE]Did you hear that this game comp. does not let users overwrite or delete save data similar to the infamous save issues on Capcom's infamous Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D release? Heck, you can't even overwrite high scores!!

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » July 29th, 2011, 6:53 pm

[QUOTE=TheSentinel]Alien,  The graphic capability of the 3DS FAR exceeds the capabilities of the first DS.  It's actually quite a powerhouse.  Also, whoever said that it has PSP level graphics is also wrong.  I have both and the 3DS blows the PSP out of the water.  Until the PS Vita comes along, the 3DS is easily the most powerful handheld game console on the market (I'm looking forward to the Vita, too).  [/QUOTE]

I have to strongly disagree. The 3DS' graphics are, if anything, less than the PSP. I think that they are a very minor step above the DS.

Return to “Video Games General”