Is PS3 the best Blu-ray player?

General and high profile video game topics.
Justlikeheaven

Postby Justlikeheaven » July 31st, 2011, 12:41 am

I hear that Sony might be cutting the price of the PS3 sometime this year. If it comes down another $50-$100 it might be worth purchasing. I like it and am satisfied with it for watching both DVDs and blu-rays. However to any gamer I always recommend the ps3 as the first choice... So many quality titles to try and you get the still rock solid blu ray player.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 31st, 2011, 1:08 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]But that isn't the case. They're just one of many partners in the format, albeit a major one. But they didn't go it alone, even in the earliest days of the format, and don't own or even control the format. Heck, they weren't even behind the development of Blue Laser technology, probably the most critical element to the format. [/QUOTE]

As someone with professional experience of working in such bodies I can assure you these things are usually dominated by one or two companies, who for all this talk of collaborative development ultimately are the real driving force and power.  As far as I'm aware Sony is in that exact role in the BR council.

My PS3 is inaudible when playing BluRays.

Going with a standalone player you always risk the inability to support future updates to the standard, something that will not happen with a PS3 due to the power under the guts and the tight integration to the formats major player.

TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » July 31st, 2011, 3:38 pm

[QUOTE=Steve]Unfortunately, the inevitable has happened. Video that I want to get is now coming on Blu-ray only. I always knew I would most likely have to purchase one, just not this soon.
[/QUOTE]

What movie is this?

I myself have wondered how long it would be until this "inevitable" situation would occur.  I have long since made my peace with DVD replacing VHS since it was truly superior in every way.

But I have issues with Blu-ray since I simply don't care to upgrade to the next level.  DVD is vivid & clear.  And it is widely accessible.  Movies are cheap.  You can check them out for free at the library. 

A lot of us couldn't care or less about the slight improvement in technology.  A few years ago when it was a battle between  HD-DVD versus Blu-ray for market share, I wish American consumers would have said to both "no thanks, we're perfectly happy with DVD".

But the Smiths had to keep up with their neighbors and here we are now.

In the interest of full disclosure, my family bought BetaMax in 1982.  So maybe it's just sour grapes.  I doubt it though.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 31st, 2011, 4:07 pm

Panasonic owns more patents utilized in the tech than Sony. Type in "who owns Blu-Ray?" into a search engine and you'll find no shortage of sources that agree with my post. But I'm also not saying that they're not a major player in the format, perhaps have the biggest say in the Blu-Ray Disc Association, and perhaps are it's biggest supporter with the most invested into it.

I'm just saying that Blu-Ray doesn't equal Sony.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » July 31st, 2011, 5:21 pm

[QUOTE] Originally posted by bluemonkey
Going with a standalone player you always risk the inability to support future updates to the standard, something that will not happen with a PS3 due to the power under the guts and the tight integration to the formats major player.

[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought I was close to making a decision but if this is true, PS3 is back in the picture (much to my disappointment for reasons already stated)

[QUOTE] Originally posted by TedE.Bear
What movie is this?

In the interest of full disclosure, my family bought BetaMax in 1982.
[/QUOTE]

The "movie" is not a movie in the traditional sense. I was referring to a video and it happens to be in the music video category. Nothing major but I see it as a trend.

Also, my family also had a BetaMax. I still have it sitting in my closet NOT working which is a shame because I have TONS of video that I would love to watch - including one of me in a Discovery Channel documentary

andrew

Postby andrew » August 1st, 2011, 1:16 pm

[QUOTE=Steve][QUOTE] Originally posted by bluemonkey

[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought I was close to making a decision but if this is true, PS3 is back in the picture (much to my disappointment for reasons already stated)

[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Most major spec upgrades is usually for BD-Live. Playing the actual movie is not affected. You will need to update the firmware on your player every so often when newer movies are released on BD with new BD+ encryption algorithms but that shouldn't be a problem as long as your player is connected to receive updates (or you can use a usb stick to update).

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » August 2nd, 2011, 9:47 am

I like the media playing capabilities of the PS3 so much, I actually bought a second unit just for DVD, Bluray and Netflix use in the bedroom.  I came across a deal for the slim for $270 and couldn't pass it up.

I have an original 20GB and the Slim 160GB.  Both are whisper quiet, the slim even more so.  I just use the controllers for remotes.  My only gripe is that fast forward /rewind are mapped to the triggers which are waaaay too easy to accidentally hit even when just laying the controller down.

gilly

Postby gilly » August 2nd, 2011, 10:55 pm

Most blue ray players now have those media capabilities.

Return to “Video Games General”