2011/8/14: Dreamcast: Cannon Spike, Rez

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 14th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Here are two new shooter reviews for the Dreamcast.

Rez is brand new.  It's an impressive import that I've been playing a lot lately. 

The Cannon Spike review is an update, and I've raised its grade because it has an old-school quality that you rarely see anymore.  Plus being able to play with Capcom characters is fun.

What do you think?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 14th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Nice reviews

"A very similar game called Child of Eden was recently released for the Xbox 360."

Rez itself was actually also released domestically on the Xbox 360 through its Xbox Live Arcade service a few years ago. And I believe we also saw a PS2 port of it made available here in the states.

Damon Plus

Postby Damon Plus » August 14th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Never played Cannon Spike, but loved Rez. It's good that the VGC is constantly finding hidden gems within the DC library. Just last year, I think, he said the same when he played Rayman 2. 

Altough, maybe I misunderstood you, but, didn't you already apreciate the sytem quite a lot? That last line might makes us think otherwise.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » August 15th, 2011, 12:03 am

[QUOTE=Leo]Nice reviews

"A very similar game called Child of Eden was recently released for the Xbox 360."

Rez itself was actually also released domestically on the Xbox 360 through its Xbox Live Arcade service a few years ago. And I believe we also saw a PS2 port of it made available here in the states.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there was a PS2 version of Rez that came out in early 2002 in the US and is now really sought after.  I would probably guess that the reason we never saw the Dreamcast version is because it was basically dead when it came out in 2001, and Sega thought it wouldn't get enough attention in the US.

Truthfulpietro1

Postby Truthfulpietro1 » August 15th, 2011, 3:25 am

I heard that the Japanese PS2 version had a Peripheral called the "Trance Vibrator". Has the Critic got his hands on the device?

Julio III

Postby Julio III » August 15th, 2011, 5:19 am

Glad that you enjoyed Rez!

(Just a note that there are actually five levels, not four as you state. There is also a hidden level as well)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2011, 7:26 am

[QUOTE=Truthfulpietro]I heard that the Japanese PS2 version had a Peripheral called the "Trance Vibrator". Has the Critic got his hands on the device?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like something I would NOT want to have to explain to airport security. 

gilly

Postby gilly » August 15th, 2011, 9:43 am

Is Rez for XBLA the same exact game in hd or are there other differences?

Julio III

Postby Julio III » August 15th, 2011, 3:51 pm

[QUOTE=gilly]Is Rez for XBLA the same exact game in hd or are there other differences?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same but now in widescreen and with more pixels

You can set up to 4 extra controllers to act as "trance vibrators" on the XBLA version, however, the vibration on the main controller is wrong if you do this. Just something to bear in mind. 

Best played with the lights off and the volume up!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 15th, 2011, 5:24 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D][QUOTE=Leo]Nice reviews

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there was a PS2 version of Rez that came out in early 2002 in the US and is now really sought after.  I would probably guess that the reason we never saw the Dreamcast version is because it was basically dead when it came out in 2001, and Sega thought it wouldn't get enough attention in the US.[/QUOTE]

I've got a PS2 copy.  It came with an extra accessory as well.  Europe got a PAL port of Rez along with Headhunter.  Both games were never released in the US for the DC.  However, each got PS2 ports. 

With a little more time I think Headhunter could have been great.  Thankfully, Rez was turned out to be fantastic.

Return to “Review Feedback”