RPG Maker - PlayStation

The readers post their own reviews.
Skinr

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby Skinr » August 15th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Once you learn exactly how everything fits together, it's possible to make great games.

This game is in a double-CD case because it has two instruction manuals, but only one disc. If that doesn't serve as a clue to its complexity, I don't know what will.

You have tons and tons of sprites for monsters, characters, objects, and environmental set pieces. These range in style from sci-fi to olden fantasy, and can be used for nearly any purpose; their collision data is built in, though, so be careful the player can't walk over a desk.

It's even possible to create your own sprites with the Anime Maker tool, although it's not even worth bothering if you don't have a mouse; there's no support for analog sticks, and the D-pad is not fun to draw with. With the amount of text you have to enter in with the on-screen keyboard, however, it's a shame the game doesn't work with any kind of keyboard.

Overall, if you can find this game, it's worth your money. One precaution: the game does not autosave ANYTHING, so you have to b careful not to overwrite any system or scenario data. Also, it's a shame there's no way to distribute your games aside from copying the data onto multiple memory cards and buying multiple copies of the game.

Score: 8.5

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 16th, 2011, 12:17 am

This is a good review.  I feel like I got a taste of the game and want to learn more.  Details like the two instruction manuals and needing the mouse are things reviewers normally leave out, but they do matter.

Skinr

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby Skinr » August 16th, 2011, 2:11 am

Well, the mouse isn't technically required, but it is very helpful for drawing (as I mentioned).

Marriott_Guy1

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » August 16th, 2011, 7:53 am

I agree - nice overview of the game.  RPG Maker 3 for the PS2 has been waiting patiently for me to give her a go.  Thanks to your review, I think I'll bust it out this weekend and take her for a test ride.

Terry

Skinr

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby Skinr » August 16th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Uh...this may be awkward, but I have a slightly different opinion of RPG Maker 3...

If you want my honest opinion, I can post a full review.

Marriott_Guy1

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » August 16th, 2011, 2:43 pm

[QUOTE=Skinr]Uh...this may be awkward, but I have a slightly different opinion of RPG Maker 3...

If you want my honest opinion, I can post a full review.

[/QUOTE]

Please do - a take on RPG Maker 3 would be very helpful.  I have been sitting on this title for a while, curious yet somewhat skeptical.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

0-Storm

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby 0-Storm » August 16th, 2011, 10:19 pm

The RPG Maker games have always intriguied me. I assume that they take a long time just to learn how to navigate menus. I just don't have the time for that sort of game. Now if I were stranded on a deserted island (that somehow had electricity) I'd probably pick an RPG Maker if I could only have 3 games. I could probably lose 5 years alone on one of those games.

Skinr

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby Skinr » August 16th, 2011, 11:03 pm

[QUOTE=0-Storm]

The RPG Maker games have always intriguied me. I assume that they take a long time just to learn how to navigate menus. I just don't have the time for that sort of game. Now if I were stranded on a deserted island (that somehow had electricity) I'd probably pick an RPG Maker if I could only have 3 games. I could probably lose 5 years alone on one of those games.

[/QUOTE]

Learning the flow and order of the menus is actually fairly easy (on the PSX), but you're right, it takes time.

That being said, RPG Maker II and 3 let you use a keyboard.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

RPG Maker - PlayStation

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2011, 1:01 pm

Promoted to the review pages.

Return to “Reader Reviews”