Metal Slug Anthology (Wii)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Luke

Postby Luke » August 18th, 2011, 2:24 pm

I know the Critic bashed this title on the Wii for having lousy control options, which I still sort of agree with. But since it does support the Gamecube controller with customizable buttons, I decided to take a chance at $15 and picked it up.

Honestly, I don't think the new "Nunchuck + Wii Remote" controls are that bad. I think it actually adds to the fun and challenge a little bit. Also, the limited continues seem about right under each difficulty setting.

Of course, I'm still looking for the PS2 version because it's been on my want list for years. But I think this Wii version was still a good grab at $15 due to its unique controls.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 18th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Mess around with it a little more and tell me what you think.  I'm like you-- rather have it on PS2.  But I've been told by more than one person the PS2 version has horrible loading times.  Controls are the most important thing for me and obviously the Dual Shock controller's d-pad is awesome for 2D gaming, but if the loading times are any where near as unbearable as the PSP version's, I'll go with the Wii. 

Michael D

Postby Michael D » August 18th, 2011, 5:13 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]

Mess around with it a little more and tell me what you think.  I'm like you-- rather have it on PS2.  But I've been told by more than one person the PS2 version has horrible loading times.  Controls are the most important thing for me and obviously the Dual Shock controller's d-pad is awesome for 2D gaming, but if the loading times are any where near as unbearable as the PSP version's, I'll go with the Wii. 

[/QUOTE]

The load times are horrible on PS2; it's about a 10 second wait to load the game or go back to the menu, the transitions between stages take at least 5 seconds and sometimes even longer and most of the games even have a 2 second load for moving the cursor on the character select screen.  And having the PS2 controller is better, but there's a noticeable delay at times from when you hit the button and when something happens, so that makes it moot.  And I was using an old CRT TV when I played it, so it isn't an HDTV lag thing.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Thanks, Michael.  Man, screw that.  Guess I'm getting it for the Wii.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » August 19th, 2011, 11:19 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]Thanks, Michael.  Man, screw that.  Guess I'm getting it for the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Actually, one thing that you could do to still use the PS2 controller is to is pick up a PS2 to Gamecube controller adapter and use it with the Wii version in place of the Gamecube pad.  I have the Joybox (which is $15 on Amazon), which I picked up when Sonic Gems Collection came out and it works like a dream on both the Gamecube and Wii.

Josh

Postby Josh » August 20th, 2011, 9:46 am

Or you can pick up the Hori Gamecube Gameboy Player controller.

It's expensive but it's probably the best controller I've had except the SNES pad.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm

I thought about the hori controller because, like Josh, the SNES pad is my favorite controller of all-time, but it's too expensive.  Guess what my second favorite controller is?  PS2 controller.  I guess I know what I'm doing!  Thanks for the info guys.  This is getting the best of both worlds.

Return to “Now Playing”