Catherine (Xbox 360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
MoonMetropolis

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby MoonMetropolis » August 19th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Is anyone else playing this?  It's certainly a very unique game.  And, in a world where companies mostly stick to releasing safe, generic million-sellers, it's nice to see someone who is willing to publish a game as daring and original as this.  With superb animated cut-scenes and terrific puzzles, Catherine is an intense experience that totally sucks you in.  I definitely recommend it.

nesfan1

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby nesfan1 » August 19th, 2011, 11:20 pm

I've been interested in this game since I first heard about it. I really hope it's good. I want to like it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2011, 11:20 pm

I might be interested if some more details were provided. Is this a horror game?

MoonMetropolis

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby MoonMetropolis » August 22nd, 2011, 12:17 pm

It delves pretty deeply into the psychological horror aspect.  It's truly unlike anything you have ever played before and I definitely recommend it.  It's a compelling game AND an engrossing movie.

ZetaX1

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby ZetaX1 » August 22nd, 2011, 3:38 pm

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]It delves pretty deeply into the psychological horror aspect.  It's truly unlike anything you have ever played before and I definitely recommend it.  It's a compelling game AND an engrossing movie.
[/QUOTE]

Seems somewhat disingenuous to characterize it as a 'horror' game... I tried the demo, it's a wall-climbing/block-sliding puzzle game.  The story may have some psycholological aspects (fear of adulthood, losing personal freedom, etc.), but it's not exactly 'horror'.

Dave, download the demo for Xbox or PS3.  That'll probably give you a good enough idea if it's worth a purchase.

- Mark

gilly

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby gilly » August 22nd, 2011, 3:47 pm

I believe it's also got a puzzle element to it, and I here it's a pretty tough game.

MoonMetropolis

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby MoonMetropolis » August 22nd, 2011, 4:14 pm

You clearly missed the stages involving being chased by grotesque monsters that represent the character's personal demons.  Really, the game is far too complicated to describe in a short paragraph.

gilly

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby gilly » August 22nd, 2011, 10:04 pm

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]You clearly missed the stages involving being chased by grotesque monsters that represent the character's personal demons.  Really, the game is far too complicated to describe in a short paragraph.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, so you think this is one of those games that do not demo well?

MoonMetropolis

Catherine (Xbox 360)

Postby MoonMetropolis » August 23rd, 2011, 1:33 pm

[QUOTE=gilly][QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]You clearly missed the stages involving being chased by grotesque monsters that represent the character's personal demons.  Really, the game is far too complicated to describe in a short paragraph.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, so you think this is one of those games that do not demo well?
[/QUOTE]
That's very much the case.  It virtually redefines the structure of how we play games.

Return to “Now Playing”