Another Reason To Hate Capcom

General and high profile video game topics.
Luke

Postby Luke » August 26th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Neatherrealm Studios are releasing the "Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection" with arcade ports of MK's 1, 2 and UMK3 together in one package for $10 on PSN and XBLA this coming week.

And Capcom? They just released Street Fighter II: Third Strike Online Edition on PSN/XBLA for $15! Yes, one old game for $15!!

Now I'm sure there's bound to be some wise cracker out there who says "That's because SF3 is better than all 3 of those games combined! har har" But I don't care. Either way you look at it, it's still a rip-off in my eyes! And I'm really getting sick of Capcom milking this series. I mean, enough is enough!

Luke

Postby Luke » August 27th, 2011, 12:21 am

Typo: "Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online"

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » August 27th, 2011, 12:27 am

I don't think you are being entirely fair regarding the Third Strike PSN title.

There is substantial new content in Third Strike PSN, including a challenge mode that even tasks you with duplicating famous fighting game tournament victories (like the totally awesome SFIII parry "come from behind" victory... youtube it sometime).

Street Fighter III Third Strike plays much different than other Street Fighters, particularly with its parry system. It's a much different game with a much different roster of characters than the SFII series and the SF Alpha series.

I think $15 is fair for a title that has new content not found in other versions and modern netcode allowing for lag free online matches on a modern console. Not everything can be a .99 cent app!

Luke

Postby Luke » August 27th, 2011, 1:15 am

[QUOTE=feilong80]I don't think you are being entirely fair regarding the Third Strike PSN title. There is substantial new content in Third Strike PSN, including a challenge mode that even tasks you with duplicating famous fighting game tournament victories (like the totally awesome SFIII parry "come from behind" victory... youtube it sometime). Street Fighter III Third Strike plays much different than other Street Fighters, particularly with its parry system. It's a much different game with a much different roster of characters than the SFII series and the SF Alpha series. I think $15 is fair for a title that has new content not found in other versions and modern netcode allowing for lag free online matches on a modern console. Not everything can be a .99 cent app! [/QUOTE]Ok. But you don't think there are enough Street Fighter games available online already, and for a price?

Also, you are aware that there are the "Street Fighter vs Tekken" and "Tekken vs Street Fighter" games on the way this generation, as well?

I mean, look at this. This is getting ridiculous:
Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting - 400 msp
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo HD Remix - 1200 msp
Street Fighter IV - $20
Super Street Fighter IV - $30
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - $40
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online - 1200 msp
Street Fighter vs Tekken - $60
Tekken vs Street Fighter - $60

...and if you want to include the Marvel vs Capcom games since they do include the inevitable SF characters:
Marvel vs Capcom 2 - 1200 msp
Marvel vs Capcom 3 - $40
Marvel vs Capcom 3: Ultimate - $40

Then we have Mortal Kombat:
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - $30
Mortal Kombat 9 - $50
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - $10

lol

I mean, c'mon man... seriously. This isn't about SF vs MK. This is about milking a series, price-gouging, and over-saturating the market. All of which Capcom has done for almost 20 years and continues to do to this very day. But I just think it's gotten way out of hand this generation, and I can't understand why more people aren't speaking out against this. It's bad enough they're getting into the DRM and all that other crap now. But then they keep flooding the market with remakes and re-issues. It's beyond sickening at this point.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » August 27th, 2011, 4:32 am

You know what sickens me? The fact that Capcom has no problem putting out so many variations of the same game and yet they cancelled Mega Man Legends 3. It was the one Capcom game that I was really excited for. Not that I dislike Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom, but come on. We already have MVC3 and SFIV. Do we really need more of games that have already been released? Do we need Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 when we already have MVC3? And we already have SFIV. Do we really need a Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (which I just found out existed when I read this thread)? Mega Man Legends 3 would have been something fresh. I mean, when was the last time we had one of those? I bet they would have released it if they had a dozen dlc characters to sell for $5 each.

I'm really starting to hate Capcom. And I don't like saying that because they used to be my favorite developer.  

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 27th, 2011, 9:22 am

Those MK games are a lot older than SF3:TS, they are from the 16bit and 32bit generations whereas 3rd Strike was from the last console generation so really not a fair comparison at all.

It's a lot cheaper than you'll pay to get it in it's current physical formats too.

DrCruse1

Postby DrCruse1 » August 27th, 2011, 10:02 am

Oh noez! Capcom released a game more expensive than I wish it was. Now I have "another reason to hate Capcom."
*Facepalm*
As bluemonkey stated, SF3:TS is a previous generation game, while MK Arcade Kollection is a collection of games from the around 20 years ago. Maybe you think 15 dollars is a bad value, but you have the freedom not to buy it! It's not a reason to "hate" Capcom.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » August 27th, 2011, 2:45 pm

[QUOTE=DrCruse]Oh noez! Capcom released a game more expensive than I wish it was. Now I have "another reason to hate Capcom."
*Facepalm*
As bluemonkey stated, SF3:TS is a previous generation game, while MK Arcade Kollection is a collection of games from the around 20 years ago. Maybe you think 15 dollars is a bad value, but you have the freedom not to buy it! It's not a reason to "hate" Capcom.
[/QUOTE]

I agree totally and I think this shows nothing more than insane "I hate Capcom" ranting that only exists because some people are mad that their messiah, Mega Man Legends 3, was crucified.  Capcom can never do anything right again in their minds and now, they only exist to revise history, jump to conclusions, lie and use other situations in completely false contexts to justify their unjustifiable rage that shows a complete ignorance of the industry and the development process of games (ironic, seeing how the whole point of Legends 3 was to enlighten people about those two things; guess it's cancellation was a self fulfilling prophecy).

Now, I'm going to take those claims one by one, before ending back at Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Online.  The jumping to conclusions came after Capcom Europe's Tweet saying that a lack of fan involvement in the Dev Room was a factor in Legends 3's cancellation, and that was absolutely true.  There were not many people involved in the Dev Room and for fans to simply use that Tweet to say "Capcom Blames The Fans" is ridiculous.

The lies came from some claiming that the production of the game was going swimmingly (seeing as it wasn't officially announced, Keji Inafune left, the prototype was delayed indefinitely and the Japanese tsunami stopped development briefly shows that's false), the claims that many people bought 3DSes to play it (which can never be proven and besides, the system was doing horribly and cut into the already low audience for this game; why didn't that put up a red flag right there?) and even worse, some completely baseless claims that Capcom turned people away from their Comic-Con booth for mentioning Mega Man. 

The using other situations falsely comes from the Resident Evil Mercenaries save game thing, which too many fans used as an example of Capcom hating their fan base, which it was not an example of at all.  It was an example of Capcom trying to control and diminish the used games market, which is something completely different.  In fact, I guarantee that if Legends 3 came out with an unerasable save, none of these Capcom fans would say anything about it.

And finally, the rewrite history thing, which is where Third Strike Online comes in. Just like Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (which got fans angry because Mega Man isn't in it, even though that was decided by the fans in some Capcom polls), people are now using Third Strike Online to complain that Capcom has too many fighting games out there, which is probably true, but that's something they never cared about before Legends 3 died.  And Capcom has milked their series before (not that they're the only company to do so), but again, no one ever minded, even when their beloved Mega Man had a glut of mediocre to lazy to out and out bad games from 2000 to 2006 (and they think games like X5, X6, X7 and X8 instill confidence that Legends 3 would have turn out well?).

As far as Third Strike Online goes, I think $15 is a great value to add online and training modes to a cult fighting game that's quite hard to find now (that Dreamcast version is really sought after) and the higher price makes sense seeing how the game is much newer, complicated and more sophisticated than the three Mortal Kombats in the collection (as good as they are).  

Oh, and stop complaining about the DLC fighters from Capcom's games, because your beloved Mortal Kombat is doing the exact same thing and I'll put money on the idea that an updated version of it will come out in a few months with those extra characters included.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » August 27th, 2011, 6:43 pm

I don't really care about Legends 3 being cancelled, i'm personally hoping Capcom will one day make a Power Stone 3.

Luke

Postby Luke » August 27th, 2011, 8:44 pm

[QUOTE=DrCruse]Oh noez! Capcom released a game more expensive than I wish it was. Now I have "another reason to hate Capcom." *Facepalm* As bluemonkey stated, SF3:TS is a previous generation game, while MK Arcade Kollection is a collection of games from the around 20 years ago. Maybe you think 15 dollars is a bad value, but you have the freedom not to buy it! It's not a reason to "hate" Capcom. [/QUOTE]Are you serious? These MK games are perfectly emulated arcade versions and were only previously available in their original arcade form. All the ones before this were just crappy ports or poor emulation.. like on the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 comps, and the MK and MK:A special editions.

Good job at evading my point about all the remakes and re-issues by the way. I feel sorry for you if you're buying into all those and also pay for online services - you're being taken for a ride, just like the Marvel vs Capcom 2 proudly music states!

Return to “Video Games General”