Another Reason To Hate Capcom

General and high profile video game topics.
Luke

Postby Luke » August 27th, 2011, 8:53 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D] As far as Third Strike Online goes, I think $15 is a great value to add online and training modes to a cult fighting game that's quite hard to find now (that Dreamcast version is really sought after) [/QUOTE]You are aware that SF3: Third Strike are also available on the PS2 and Xbox, right?

DrCruse1

Postby DrCruse1 » August 28th, 2011, 8:48 am

[QUOTE=Luke][QUOTE=DrCruse]Oh noez! Capcom released a game more expensive than I wish it was. Now I have "another reason to hate Capcom." *Facepalm* As bluemonkey stated, SF3:TS is a previous generation game, while MK Arcade Kollection is a collection of games from the around 20 years ago. Maybe you think 15 dollars is a bad value, but you have the freedom not to buy it! It's not a reason to "hate" Capcom. [/QUOTE]Are you serious? These MK games are perfectly emulated arcade versions and were only previously available in their original arcade form. All the ones before this were just crappy ports or poor emulation.. like on the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 comps, and the MK and MK:A special editions.

Good job at evading my point about all the remakes and re-issues by the way. I feel sorry for you if you're buying into all those and also pay for online services - you're being taken for a ride, just like the Marvel vs Capcom 2 proudly music states! [/QUOTE]

Yes, there are a ton of SF games/remakes/etc, but again, it is your choice whether or not to buy them. Many choices is always a good thing when it comes to videogames. If you feel that it's out of hand, you can simply refrain from buying, and let the people who do want to buy them, buy them. I personally do not, but if people want to, that's their right. I honestly don't see why you are surprised more people haven't "spoken out against this." They're games! Why are you so upset that they are making a lot of games? People are obviously interested in buying the SF series, otherwise they wouldn't make it any more! YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THEM!

And yes, I am serious. It is a fact that the Mortal Kombat games are around 20 years old, and that the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection is a collection of 20 year old games. It is a fact that SF3:TS is a previous generation game.

Luke

Postby Luke » August 28th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Dude, Third Strike came out in 1999. It's only 4 years newer than Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. So let's not pretend that it just came out a few years ago. A 12 year-old game is pretty old, too.

Of course I don't have to buy all the new games, remakes, re-issues, etc. But that doesn't mean an argument still can't be made against them flooding the market and milking a series for all that it's worth. I mean, A LOT of people complained about all the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games over-saturating the market, so it should only make sense for someone to say something about Capcom's money-hungry obsession with the Street Fighter series, because they've been doing it FOR 20 YEARS!

So if you want to have a 20-year debate, then let's talk about that one.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 28th, 2011, 5:22 pm

That's a long time in the time of video games.  The point still stands that one release is many years newer than the other, to the point where it belongs to a different console generation.  Yes it is also available on PS2 and Xbox but again those copies aren't cheap either.

The simple fact is that SF3:TS is one of the greatest fighting games ever made and is still to this day held up as one of the deepest examples of the genre by many.  I don't think Capcom ever bettered it myself, $15 is a bargain.

Luke

Postby Luke » August 29th, 2011, 3:16 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]The simple fact is that SF3:TS is one of the greatest fighting games ever made [/QUOTE]No it's not! Not even close. Street Fighter IV is twice the game that Third Strike was. That's why so many ignored it when it was in the arcades later and on the last gen consoles. That's why Street Fighter IV was such a big hit - it was finally a return to form.

All three of the Street Fighter 3 games had very nice graphics. But most of the new characters they introduced were very boring and forgettable imho. Also, after the incredibly long wait for SF3 because of all SF2's stupid upgrades and later the Alpha series, SF3 didn't exactly blow anybody away with any revolutionary new gameplay aspects or anything.

But anyway... I just think $15 is too muc for this game when you can get all 3 of the Mortal Kombat games for $5 less. Capcom could have put it up for $10 but no they want your money, so it's just another way to cash in.

Netherrealm Studios appreciates their fans and doesn't try to rip them off. Capcom on the other hand doesn't care. They'll re-release a game if there's demand for it BUT YOU'RE GOING TO PAY THE PRICE! That's why Marvel vs Capcom 2 (2000) was $15 and that's also why SF3: Third Strike is the same price - it's just price gouging, it's not fan service!

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 29th, 2011, 5:35 am

When released SF3 TS was met with universal praise from critics.

As far as I'm aware it's had one of the longest runs at the Evo championships because of it's depth, despite it's age.

One of the reasons it commands such a high price second hand is that people don't sell their copies.

It's fighting system is deeper than SF4's thanks much to the parry system.  Street Fighter 4's system was designed more with the casual market in mind, combine a dumbed down system with an uninspiring reuse of old characters to play on people's nostalgia and a flashing 3D graphics engine and you get money.  Doesn't make it the better game though. 

SF4 is better for non-fighting fans and casual players, SF3 is better for fans of the genre.

Luke

Postby Luke » August 29th, 2011, 7:04 am

From Wikipedia:

Both the arcade and home versions of Street Fighter IV have received universal critical acclaim. The game received an aggregated score of 94 from Metacritic for its PlayStation 3 version,[55] 93 for its Xbox 360 version,[56] and 91 for its PC version.[57]

The arcade version of Street Fighter IV was voted Best Game of 2008 in Japan by the editorial staff of Arcadia magazine in the February 2009 issue of the publication. The game also won in the categories of "Best Graphics", "Best Production", and the "Reader's Choice Award". The character Ryu took the No. 1 spot in the magazine's "Top 20 Characters of 2008" in the same issue. The February 2009 issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine has rated the game 5/5, while the February 2009 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine has given Street Fighter IV a score of 9.5/10. IGN gave the game a 9.3/10, calling it an "irrevocably deep fighting game", but said that the anime cutscenes are "so poorly animated and tell you almost nothing about the story or the context for each character's participation in the tournament." GameSpot gave it the best Fighting Game of 2009 in the Editor's Choice and Reader's Choice areas.[66] Additionally, GameTrailers named the title as the Best Fighting Game of 2009.[67] Street Fighter IV also won "Fighting Game of the Year" at the 2009 Spike Video Game Awards.

Giant Bomb gave the game 5 out of 5 stars stating that "Street Fighter IV combines old and new in powerful ways, resulting in a game familiar enough to bring retired fans back into the fold while being different enough to appeal to the players who have stuck with the genre since day one."[68] Eurogamer gave the game 10/10 stating that "after over a month of playing Street Fighter IV almost daily, what has become quite clear is that it manages to appeal to a huge range of abilities and tastes without ever compromising its fidelity". Planet Xbox 360 was similar in its praise for the game, awarding it 9.1/10 and only finding fault with the Xbox 360's controller. Strategy Informer gave the game 9/10 saying "[Street Fighter IV] is truly one spectacular fighting game that proves Capcom's focal point — Street Fighter is back!", and has resulted in a large fan base with live-action reproductions.

The iOS version has been critically acclaimed as well. Gameplayershub.com[69] gave the game a 97% score, indicating that the game had such polish it should lead the way for future games on the platform.

So now what have ya got?

DrCruse1

Postby DrCruse1 » August 29th, 2011, 8:20 am

The only thing any (normal) company wants is money. They're going to price their game at what they think will be the most profitable. The company selling Mortal Kombat decided that $10 would be the most profitable. It's not that they "appreciate the fans." I could say that Capcom appreciates the fans and Netherrealm doesn't, because I think that SF3:TS being 15 dollars is a better value than MK Arcade Kollection.

Also, it is only your opinion that SF4 is a better game, and your opinion that 15 dollars is a rip off. If you think MK is a better value, feel free to buy MK. If you think that SF3:TS is a better value, feel free to buy SF3:TS.

You're trying to villainize Capcom for selling a game for more than you think it's worth. You can make arguments for why you think it's a bad value, but attacking Capcom's moral integrity is silly.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 29th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Luke how is any of that relevant to my points about the game's depth compared to SF3 TS? 

And how is it relevant when comparing SF3 TS to MK?

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 29th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Gotta agree with many of the others here, Luke.  Third Strike is referred by many 2D fighting tournament players as the single greatest game in the entire genre... ever.  Forget what critics said or scores.  The ability to play the (arguably) best fighting game in a competitive, online, arcade perfect port and post videos on youtube is pretty enticing for fans.  It's not that the first 3 MK titles aren't good.  It's just you don't see many Mortal Kombat 2 tournaments, but Third Strike still has tourneys to this day.  I'm terrible at the game and fighters in general, but Third Strike is easily my favorite fighter.  Beautiful, large colorful sprites and tons of depth.  Even the PS2 port is great.  Because I have the SF Anthology collection (which includes Third Strike), I have no desire to see myself get beaten on youtube.  I won't buy Third Strike online, but I might get MK 1,2,3 for $10.  That's a good deal.  Capcom is ridiculous with all "Super," "Turbo," "Championship" versions of their fighters, but people still buy the games.

Return to “Video Games General”