Party like its 1993...

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Potts

Party like its 1993...

Postby Potts » September 8th, 2011, 5:54 pm

Finally got my Atari Jaguar in the mail today. First time ever playing one. Got it on my "gaming table" right next to my 3DO. The Jag came with three games. Played them each for like 5 minutes to see if everything worked before going back to work (this was my lunch break). Here are my initial impressions:

Raiden: First off, WTF were they thinking with these controllers? They feel so awkward to my hands. The button layout is definitely gonna take time to get used to. Anyway, this game looks fun. Its an overhead 2D shooter, which isnt a bad thing. Nice, simple gameplay. The graphics are very "modest" for 64-bit, but that's another story.

Bubsy, Fractured Furry Tails: I was ready for this to be awful, but it doesn't seem that bad! 2D side-scroller with colorful detailed graphics, very nice music, definitely looks better than the older Bubsy games, or Bubsy 3D

Hover Strike: Ugh, I'm gonna be sick. This one is a first person 3D space shooter, but the animation is so choppy I have no idea whats going on. And your spaceship behaves like the taxi in Quarantine (3DO);  your spaceship has this "hover effect" and its very annoying.

I believe I have just been jagged.

bluemonkey1

Party like its 1993...

Postby bluemonkey1 » September 8th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar, it's a great place with some great games.  Regarding the controllers there are two types of the basic one, one type has a very sticky d-pad making it hard work to press up and up diagonals.  The other is much looser and easier to use, may be worth checking others out if that's your issue.

Regarding Bubsy one tip that changed the game for me completely was to stop playing it like other platformers.  If you try and jump on enemies it's hard work and you'll die A LOT, the same for precision jumps.  Instead use the glide move all the time, for taking out enemies and making those jumps.  Suddenly the game works perfectly and isn't that tough anymore, love the huuuge levels myself.  The 2 player mode is nice too.

Shame you didn't like Hover Strike, it's one of my favourites, the floatiness once your used to it makes it really easy to set up strafing runs and riddle enemies without taking any hits yourself.

Potts

Party like its 1993...

Postby Potts » September 9th, 2011, 1:55 pm

It's officially occurred to me that Raiden is awesome. It falls into one of my favorite categories (mindless-blast everything in sight shooter). Very fun, and easy enough for me since I'm not "particularly good" at these type of games. You sure do get alot of continues, and you need them, since it can be easy to die.

Bubsy is quite difficult, even after the advice of gliding to kill enemies. I just couldnt beat the first level, yet.

I definitely have the controller with the screwy D-pad, its the original controller with three buttons. I'm guessing the six button pad is the way to go.

micky1

Party like its 1993...

Postby micky1 » September 9th, 2011, 6:07 pm

I was born in 1993 so i guess i wouldn't be doing much partying, but yeah the Jag is awsome i recommend Wolfenstein, Doom, Super Burnout and Ultra Vortek. 

Super Burnout being the best of the bunch.

JWK1

Party like its 1993...

Postby JWK1 » September 9th, 2011, 6:17 pm

I remember the Jaguar version of Tempest being pretty awesome too.  That and Wolfenstein are really the only games I spent a lot of time with.

Potts

Party like its 1993...

Postby Potts » September 9th, 2011, 7:35 pm

I've already planned on getting most of these. Particularly Super Burnout, Tempest 2000, and Wolfenstein

I got Alien vs Predator on the way. I've actually played it through emulation, and I'm pretty excited to play the real thing (the emulation of it on my computer was real bad).

Potts

Party like its 1993...

Postby Potts » September 9th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Does Jaguar have regional lockout? (Can I play a game from UK on my US system?)

Return to “Now Playing”