Another World/Out of This World is Out on iOS Devices Now

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » September 22nd, 2011, 3:37 am

If you haven't played this stunning game yet, now is the perfect time to give it a shot.  At the risk of sounding pretentious, this is an absolutely brilliant work of interactive art that paved the way for today's art games like Limbo and Superbrothers.  It's brutally difficult, but that's all part of the appeal.  You'll keep working over and over again before you finally get it and progress to the next scene, and, when you do, it's such a wonderful feeling.  The art style is surreal and beautiful, resembling an abstract painting.  The story is haunting and cerebral, managing to tell an enthralling sci-fi tale without a single word of dialogue.  The gameplay is absolutely ingenious.  GO GET THIS GAME RIGHT NOW.

This is definitely something I'd like to see the VGC review.  It's been released on numerous platforms.  I just hope he doesn't trash it like he did Prince of Persia.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 22nd, 2011, 7:58 am

I had that for the SNES.  Very good game.  It was one of the first games to use rotoscoping for the animation. 

It made the graphics extremely fluid.  It was kind of fun to find new ways to die.  And die you will, talk about trial and error.  Good stuff. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 22nd, 2011, 9:48 am

What an amazing game.  Truly one of my all time favorites.  I'm a little skeptical about controlling this game using a touch screen, but I still want to give it a shot.  There are several points during the game that require pinpoint control and I'm not sure you can get that with a touch device.  Personally, the best device to play this on is the 3DO.  That system got an excellent port.

There used to be a select few of us on these forums that were big champions for this style of game.  If you like Out of this World you need to check out some of the following games:

Heart of Darkness (PS1)
Blackthorn (SNES, 32X, GBA)
Prince of Persia (too many to list)
Heart of the Alien (Sega CD)
Flashback (SNES, Gen, 3DO)
Oddworld Abe's Odyssey (PS1)
Oddworld Abe's Exodus (PS1)

Vectorguy

Postby Vectorguy » September 22nd, 2011, 10:32 am

Nice to hear.  I had that for my Genesis, then sold it so I could get Heart of the Alien for the Sega CD at a decent price

On a side note, I'm still trying to find out why the death metal band Bolt Thrower was thanked when you beat the latter though (or maybe it was just a programmer's nickname or something?).  I've been trying to find out for years.  Bolt Thrower never knew about it until I contacted the guy at the Bolt Thrower FAQ and he asked the band members.

Anyone?

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » September 22nd, 2011, 12:46 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]What an amazing game.  Truly one of my all time favorites.  I'm a little skeptical about controlling this game using a touch screen, but I still want to give it a shot.  There are several points during the game that require pinpoint control and I'm not sure you can get that with a touch device.  Personally, the best device to play this on is the 3DO.  That system got an excellent port.

There used to be a select few of us on these forums that were big champions for this style of game.  If you like Out of this World you need to check out some of the following games:

Heart of Darkness (PS1)

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I played it for 3DO as well.  A truly terrific port.

The style of gaming you're talking about is cinematic platformer.  They often use realistic physics, life-like movements, and rotoscoped animation.  Weird Dreams (1988) is an early example.

From what I understand, the new iOS version has both "intuitive touch controls" and an option to play with an on-screen D-pad.

pixelcade

Postby pixelcade » September 23rd, 2011, 12:43 am

being that my ipad2 is my primary gaming device at the moment i find the price tag rather high for a iOS game. as much as i enjoyed the original i'm sure the price will drop to 2.99 soon. I'll wait as the controls on games like this get me frustrated beyond belief still. THANK YOU for pointing it out to me though!!!

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » October 8th, 2011, 2:58 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]
If you like Out of this World you need to check out some of the following games:

Heart of Darkness (PS1)
 [/QUOTE]

The only game on this list I haven't owned and beaten is Heart of Darkness. I remember getting Blackthorne when it came out on the SNES and being blown away - it was a wild, gory affair.

If the VGC reviews it, he should go with Heart of the Alien which includes that game and Out of This World - a kickass value, btw.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » October 9th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I got it for iPad a few days after it came out and, predictably, the unresponsive touch controls make it very difficult and frustrating to play.

Return to “Now Playing”