Batman: Arkham City locks Catwoman with One-Time Code

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » October 14th, 2011, 2:25 am

No longer locking just online multiplayer. Now we get one-time codes for single-player content. Pay $10 if you buy used or if the code expires by a certain date.

Seems gamestop is responding by planning to sell used copies for less. Meaning if you want to trade your game in you'll get even less for it.

I no longer just go out & buy new games. Now I first find out if they have one-time codes. If they do have one-time codes I only buy them used. They depreciate in value so quickly & aren't as collectable.  

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 15th, 2011, 12:51 am

So now we need to pay extra to access content on the disk we already purchased?

I'll stop short of calling this a show-stopper, since you can still play as Batman, but I'm worried about where the industry is headed.  It's possible that in the future you wouldn't be able to play the game at all until you enter a code. It would be like registering the game to a single console.

Yes, it would be a total rip off.  Yes, it would render the disk unplayable in the future.  However, game companies only care about the bottom line so I would not put it past them.

Luke

Postby Luke » October 15th, 2011, 1:57 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]So now we need to pay extra to access content on the disk we already purchased? [/QUOTE]This isn't new. It's been going on for a little whilw now

But... I wouldn't want to play as Catwoman anyhow. So it's a non-issue for me

James M.

Postby James M. » October 15th, 2011, 7:09 am

Wow.

Does any company just sell games with no strings attached anymore? That would strongly affect my next console purchase. Thanks, all.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » October 15th, 2011, 11:36 am

A few gamers are upset, because this game advertised that Catwoman was a playable character. They, of course, didn't advertise that in order to use Catwoman you had to use a one-time code.

Apparently Catwoman is used to play 5 levels. I'm assuming that some "trophies" or "achievements" will be unubtainable without the code. This too will upset "trophy/achievement" hunters.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » October 15th, 2011, 1:00 pm

I don't usually like to talk badly about modern gaming, but this is BS! the developers are ripping people off by locking the content. If that wasn't bad enough, they freaking lock the characters!!! I wish game developers would stop caring about the money and just about the gaming. When will they learn?!

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » October 15th, 2011, 3:42 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
Yes, it would be a total rip off.  Yes, it would render the disk unplayable in the future.  However, game companies only care about the bottom line so I would not put it past them.

[/QUOTE]

You did mention before that some companies like Nintendo do care about the customer. While I agree that a lot of companies do care about the bottom line, not all of them do.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » October 15th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Just don't buy the game if you don't think you're getting your money's worth. "Problem" solved.

I think some of you are under the assumption that the "extra" content will cost the initial purchaser more. The OP said purchasers of USED copies would need to pay for the code.

Stay educated on your purchases, and buyer beware...

Luke

Postby Luke » October 15th, 2011, 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=0-Storm]A few gamers are upset, because this game advertised that Catwoman was a playable character. They, of course, didn't advertise that in order to use Catwoman you had to use a one-time code. [/QUOTE]Well, the people who buy the game still get to play as her. It's just the people who buy secondhand who get screwed, correct?

But why they would even do something like this over something so trivial as playing as Catwoman is beyond me. I have to wonder if there's some sort of hidden agenda going on. Is it just their clever way of having you register the game online or what?

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » October 15th, 2011, 4:09 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX]Just don't buy the game if you don't think you're getting your money's worth. "Problem" solved.

I think some of you are under the assumption that the "extra" content will cost the initial purchaser more. The OP said purchasers of USED copies would need to pay for the code.

Stay educated on your purchases, and buyer beware...

[/QUOTE]

It's still a stupid idea.

Return to “Modern Gaming”