Wolfenstein 3D (XBLA)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Luke

Wolfenstein 3D (XBLA)

Postby Luke » November 1st, 2011, 5:21 am

Well, after all these years I finally sat down and played some Wolfenstein 3D, and wow... what a great game!

I think I like it more than Doom. The first Doom anyway.

It would have been nice if id Software or Nerve would have given the graphics a little bit of a visual upgrade (your gun on screen is merely pixelated blocks). But I guess the idea was to just preserve the original game but add modern dual-analog control.

Either way, the gameplay is very good. I can see why it's a classic

The Mad Blogger

Wolfenstein 3D (XBLA)

Postby The Mad Blogger » November 1st, 2011, 4:00 pm

The Mad Blogger agrees with Luke here. He likes it much better than Doom.

Did you get any headaches playing Wolfenstein 3D? I got some after playing it for a prolonged period of time.

Also, the SNES created a Biblical version of this game called Noah's Ark 3D. I think it is an interesting spin on the whole game, and definitely worth checking out.

Luke, here is a question for you. Were you in favor of all of the Nazi symbols and blood being removed from the game for the console versions?

Leo1

Wolfenstein 3D (XBLA)

Postby Leo1 » November 1st, 2011, 7:05 pm

I've always liked it more than Doom, as well.

[QUOTE=Luke]But I guess the idea was to just preserve the original game but add modern dual-analog control.[/QUOTE]

All they did was map the keyboard functions to the analog sticks. Nothing added in that department.

I'm not an expert so I don't notice it, but supposedly this version runs quite a bit faster than it should. Still, it gets the job done for me and saved me from playing through the Wolfenstein Xbox game just to unlock the original, which I was probably never going to get around to doing even though that's why I bought it for.

micky1

Wolfenstein 3D (XBLA)

Postby micky1 » November 1st, 2011, 7:49 pm

I think the 3DO version is the best it controls very well and the music is pretty awesome, well worth tracking down if you have a 3DO.

Luke

Wolfenstein 3D (XBLA)

Postby Luke » November 2nd, 2011, 2:10 am

[QUOTE=The Mad Blogger]Did you get any headaches playing Wolfenstein 3D?

Luke, here is a question for you. Were you in favor of all of the Nazi symbols and blood being removed from the game for the console versions? [/QUOTE]Nope. I didn't experience any headaches during gameplay. The only fps that has ever given me a headache or motion sickness has been Red Steel 2 on the Wii (which I still enjoyed).

As for the Nazi symbols being removed in the home ports, I recall hearing/reading something about that back in the day. But being that I hadn't played the game until yesterday, I surely wasn't aware of just how much there was of that in the game levels (actually, quite a bit). I can understand why Nintendo would have asked for them to be removed on the SNES port since they had a very strict policy on violence and stuff back then, before the rating system.

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me if they took all the Nazi symbols and propaganda out of the game just as long as the gameplay remains solid (that's all I really care about). But I will say that, if anything... seeing all that stuff in the game JUST MAKES ME WANT TO KILL THE ENEMIES THAT MUCH MORE!

Return to “Now Playing”