Video game review requests

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » September 10th, 2011, 7:27 am

You can change the disc to region-free with a bit of techno-savvy.

Also, Game Boy games aren't particularly expensive.  You can buy tons of them for very cheap at just about any flea market. 

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 10th, 2011, 8:50 am

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]You can change the disc to region-free with a bit of techno-savvy.
[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that you can only do it via something called jtag that allows you to edit your consoles region to play games from any region you desire. And apparantly if you've installed any system updates over the past couple of years, it's impossible to now jtag your system.

And this puts you at risk of a console ban. So if you have any interest, however slim, in occasionally updating your console and software, accessing the marketplace (The Critic has reviewed a few XBLA games), and online multiplayer, it isn't the way to go since it will be detected and you'll lose your privileges.

I suppose losing Xbox Live isn't an issue though if you have a system so out of date that you can still jtag it. But considering that he's reviewed things like Hydro Thunder Hurricane, his window of opportunity to do this has already passed since his system has been updated to make it impossible or he couldn't of made that purchase.

Unless there's been a recent advance in the last few months, your only choice to play Japanese imports unless you have a old system laying around that has been idle for a few years that could be jtagged, is buy a second hand jtagged North American console or an import Japanese console.

It's my understanding a mod chip just opens up your ability to play backups, including backups from other regions that have had the region coding removed. It doesn't do you any good playing a retail game from outside your region unless you're going to pirate it and burn it to DVD-r.

oldschoogamer

Postby oldschoogamer » September 29th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Mighty Final Fight (NES)

Drew

Postby Drew » October 12th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I requested Panzer Dragoon Saga because: it brings enhanced PD gameplay with RPG elements, like experience points and leveling up.

The Final Fantasy series (up to VI) you can play for free on an emulator. Just download a GBA emulator for IV, V, and VI, and Dawn of Souls (contains I and II). III you could get on an NES emulator, but you would probably be getting a Blind Idiot Translation. I highly, highly suggest you play VII though, I just want to see your reaction, and try to avoid spoilers for it if you haven't already.

TZA11

Postby TZA11 » November 30th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Virtua Fighter Remix and Saturn Bomberman

Luke

Postby Luke » December 1st, 2011, 2:54 am

Toca Race Driver 3 (PS2/Xbox)

I actually like this game better than Gran Turismo and Forza. It has a ton of different racing styles - like custom, stock, open wheel, rally, and go karts (way before Gran Turismo 5!). The only thing that it really lacks from GT and Forza is the number of licensed cars. Otherwise, I think it's better in every way. And it really doesn't matter which version you pick up - PS2 or Xbox - they're both fantastic. The only difference is that the Xbox version looks slightly better (as usual) and it supports custom soundtracks.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » December 1st, 2011, 4:33 pm

Transformers on PS2. Not the crappy games based on the movie. The Atari game based on the Transformers Armada series. I think this was a highly underrated game. The graphics are impressive with huge levels. The shooting action is very satisfying as well. This game is tough as nails but very fun.

Luke

Postby Luke » December 2nd, 2011, 1:55 am

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]Transformers on PS2. Not the crappy games based on the movie. The Atari game based on the Transformers Armada series. I think this was a highly underrated game. The graphics are impressive with huge levels. The shooting action is very satisfying as well. This game is tough as nails but very fun.[/QUOTE]Yup, I second that. It's an excellent game with very nice graphics!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 2nd, 2011, 3:42 pm

Unless things have changed recently, another difference for TOCA 3 is the PS2 servers are still up. Although it didn't support as many players as the Xbox version did and didn't perform as well online, it still had a significant community the last time I logged online a year or so ago.

The PSP version has an extra track. Always considered downloading that to my Go and playing it on a tv with a PS3 controller, but I'm stuck in the console version. About halfway through both TOCA Race Driver 2 and 3, I hit brick walls and couldn't progress (Haven't gotten around to playing Pro Race Driver or whatever they called the 1st one over here, yet, although I bet it's similar).

I preferred the PSOne trilogy. They felt more like straight racing simulations where you'd actually race. the PS2/Xbox games had those awful storylines and I never really felt like I was racing. They were almost puzzle games. You'd go low off the line and pass three cars before turn 1, but restart and go a different direction at the start and you wouldn't gain a spot before turn 1 and never would catch up to the leader. I could restart 10 times and the same things would happen depending on what approach I'd pick. It was almost like they were puzzle games with just one specific way to solve the problem that was given you.

Fun games though.

Truthfulpietro1

Postby Truthfulpietro1 » December 4th, 2011, 6:54 am

If the Critic is going to go back to the Gamecube, I suggest Darkened Skye. I hear thats its actually a pretty funny game, for one that advertises Skittles.

Return to “Review Feedback”