Where are the action/rpgs?

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » December 2nd, 2011, 8:27 pm

I enjoy reading all of the reviews. But I noticed a lack of old-school action/rpg reviews, in the Zelda tradition. These were my favorite types of games in the 8-bit/16-bit heyday. They seem to have all become extinct.

These games had great storylines. Actual gameplay, unlike most rpgs that are menu-driven. And a touch of puzzle solving, that made you say "aha", after solving them. I miss these games and still thoroughly enjoy them, when I decide to pop them in. These games have gameplay for days. I remember staying up all night as a teen, playing Zelda: A Link To The Past. That was the game which set the standard for all action/rpgs(not including the original).

Here's a few of the best of the best that I would recommend for review(and my personal favorites):
Soulblazer(snes)
Illusion of Gaia(snes)
Landstalker(genesis)
Beyond Oasis(genesis)
Legend of Oasis(saturn)
Shining Wisdom(saturn)
Alundra(ps1)

I know I'm forgetting a bunch.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » December 2nd, 2011, 11:38 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]I enjoy reading all of the reviews. But I noticed a lack of old-school action/rpg reviews, in the Zelda tradition. These were my favorite types of games in the 8-bit/16-bit heyday. They seem to have all become extinct.

These games had great storylines. Actual gameplay, unlike most rpgs that are menu-driven. And a touch of puzzle solving, that made you say "aha", after solving them. I miss these games and still thoroughly enjoy them, when I decide to pop them in. These games have gameplay for days. I remember staying up all night as a teen, playing Zelda: A Link To The Past. That was the game which set the standard for all action/rpgs(not including the original).

Here's a few of the best of the best that I would recommend for review(and my personal favorites):
Soulblazer(snes)
Illusion of Gaia(snes)
Landstalker(genesis)
Beyond Oasis(genesis)
Legend of Oasis(saturn)
Shining Wisdom(saturn)
Alundra(ps1)

I know I'm forgetting a bunch. [/QUOTE]

He has an RPG critic who does it for him since he doesn't have time to play these (he doesn't hate them as he has said numerous times, and he loves Sonic Chronicles for the DS). If he had more time and patience, he would gladly review them more often, but he likes to play games without too much time investment, although he has stated he's a big fan of Zelda.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » December 3rd, 2011, 1:34 am

I know the guy can't review every single game, I wasn't just referring to him. I know there are other reviewers. Where is this rpg critic? I haven't even seen these titles mentioned.

Don't like traditional rpgs, aside from a select few. They're often too long and boring.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » December 3rd, 2011, 3:40 pm

I just finished up Popful Mail, a very funny platformer/action-RPG for the Sega CD with great characters.  It's often considered one of the best games for the system and it's from Working Designs.  Only takes like 10-15 hours to play through, so it might be worth a look for the VGC.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » December 7th, 2011, 1:21 am

[QUOTE=PSX]I just finished up Popful Mail, a very funny platformer/action-RPG for the Sega CD with great characters.  It's often considered one of the best games for the system and it's from Working Designs.  Only takes like 10-15 hours to play through, so it might be worth a look for the VGC.[/QUOTE]

Who knew... Critic, I was just checking out your Twitter and noticed that you actually were playing this game a couple weeks ago, even before I mentioned it. Looking forward to the review.

katemarion

Postby katemarion » March 15th, 2012, 7:31 am

Hi guys,

Action/rpgs are very amazing. Its new for you guys.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » March 16th, 2012, 1:10 am

Alpha Protocol is one of my personal favorite aciton RPGs.

Return to “Review Feedback”