Irony regarding Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Irony regarding Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014

Postby Sonicx9 » June 9th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Critic, I am glad that you gave the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014 a better grade then the Wii U edition, I also like to point out that you took the time to explain the differences between the Wii U/3DS edition, in witch the GameSpot reviews/other reviewers of both 3DS/Wii U do not do a good job explaining the differences?

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-s ... 0-6415883/

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-s ... 0-6415976/

A fun fact worth mentioning is the 3DS version is outselling the Wii U by a great margin!

3DS version has sold 6.75 million worldwide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... ideo_games

Wii U version has sold around 3.65 million worldwide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... ideo_games

Critic/others, what is your thoughts/opinion on the sale figures of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014?

Sonicx9

Re: Irony regarding Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014

Postby Sonicx9 » June 11th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Critic/anybody want to comment on what I just wrote about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014? It would be interesting to see what others have to say about the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014 sale figures?

Rev

Re: Irony regarding Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka Super Smash Bros. 2014

Postby Rev » June 11th, 2015, 7:23 pm

Since you asked...

I think the sales figures for Smash Bros is completely realistic and honestly I expected it. More people are casual gamers than competitive so the 3DS game is actually a lot more appealing to these types of people. Smash Bros has a pick up and play feel and caters well to those who want to play the game with them on the go. Also, the 3DS's controller isn't bad when you aren't concerned with doing "advanced techniques" and are more concerned about having fun. Also, the 3DS has sold far better than the Wii U so it makes sense that it would have higher sales figures.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 12th, 2015, 4:06 am

Yeah the 3DS has a much larger install base than the Wii U so it's fairly obvious it would sell more.

What would be a better statistic is the % of Wii U owners that have purchased the game. That would give you an indication on if the game has sold well relative to the Wii U's install base.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 17th, 2015, 8:29 am

The numbers from the first post mean that 33% of WiiU owners own the game, while something like 13 or 14% of 3DS owners do.

More amazingly, Mario Kart 7 sold to something like 10% of 3DS owners while more than 50% of Wii U owners bought Mario Kart 8. More impressive, that number doesn't take into account resales of used copies (of which there are at least some). Mario Kart 8 has an absurd attach rate. And before anyone says it, yes there are bundles where that is the pack-in Wii U game, but a) that is not the only bundle b) the sales bump from Wii U when the game came out indicates the game pushed the hardware and not vice versa, and c) Mario Kart 7 is a bundle with 2DS (and at one point 3DS I believe).

The Wii U may not have a lot of owners, but like Vita owners, they'll buy the games you give them.

Return to “Modern Gaming”