Would the Wii U sell better if Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for 3DS and Wii U was a Wii U only game and not multi platform

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Would the Wii U sell better if Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for 3DS and Wii U was a Wii U only game and not multi platform

Postby Sonicx9 » June 29th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I mean, if you look at the sale figures for Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for 3DS and Wii U, the 3DS edition has sold over 6.75 million units worldwide as of now, and the 3DS system has sold over 52.06 Million units worldwide as of now, while the Wii U edition has sold over 3.65 million units worldwide as of now, and the Wii U system has sold over 9.54 Million units worldwide as of now?

What if Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for 3DS and Wii U was a Wii U only game and not multi platform? Would the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for 3DS and Wii U sold around the 6.75 million units worldwide like the 3DS edition if the 3DS version did not exist? And would the Wii U system had sold over 10 million units and outsell the Sega Dreamcast by now?

I would like to here what the Critic/other people on the website have to say about this, if they agree/disagree?

Tron

Re: Would the Wii U sell better if Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for 3DS and Wii U was a Wii U only game and not multi plat

Postby Tron » June 29th, 2015, 8:55 pm

I could see how the 3DS could canibalize some of the Wii U's sales. I'm not into cross play Internet stuff, but is any of that work in these games? It would be a cool feature if you owned both versions & got an extra character or something.

Rev

Re: Would the Wii U sell better if Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for 3DS and Wii U was a Wii U only game and not multi plat

Postby Rev » June 29th, 2015, 11:10 pm

The only real benefit of owning both versions (other than to play Smash 24/7) is to transfer over your custom moves to the Wii U console version. While you can unlock the customs on the Wii U version, having the 3DS version allows you to move your custom sets to any Wii U you are at. Helpful for people who play with their friends, otherwise it is really just a matter of which version you prefer.

I think the Wii U version would sell more if there wasn't the 3DS version but I doubt it would have made a huge impact. Honestly, it'd probably only sell another million or so...

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » July 1st, 2015, 7:59 am

I think the Wii U version of the game would have sold some more units, and Nintendo would have sold a few more Wii U systems. However, I doubt either amount would be very high. What you're looking at for people who would buy the Wii U for the game and didn't it is people who:
Want Smash and don't already have a Wii U (when a ton of Smash fans love Nintendo and probably already have a Wii U)

Are willing to pay $300 and the price of the game for one game.

Otherwise only like Smash enough to consider their 3DS version good enough.

To like Smash enough to spend $300 on a console, but to care little enough about it to consider the 3DS version enough, means you'd be part of a very select group.

I also think most of the people who want to play Smash on console are already doing so.

Return to “Modern Gaming”