C64 mini

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: C64 mini

Postby scotland » October 11th, 2018, 9:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Floppy disks are FAST! It was those old tape-loading games that always killed me! 10 minutes and counting!

When people complained about the load times of the PlayStation or Sega CD, I always thought that was warp speed compared to the old cassette loaders. I think I only lasted about 3/4ths of a year before I had the money for a floppy drive. For the C64, the floppy drive rivaled the computer in price.

From their language, I take it the company is hoping to do a firmware upgrade that emulates an Epyx fastloader to help

scotland

Postby scotland » October 12th, 2018, 7:54 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm intrigued. I found a games list here:
https://thec64.com/games/

Has anybody tried this? Would it be faithful enough to allow me to review C64 games? Yeah I know I had a C64 Critic but his system has been in disrepair.

I noticed it says "no AC adapter" on the front. What does that mean??

As to the no A/C adapter, I think it doesn't come with an A/C to USB adapter. It has a micro-USB port for power. You probably have an adapter that will work, or a powered USB port on your tv, but its an odd omission.

While you can load your own games, its one title at a time on the SD card, and you'll need a USB hub or keyboard with its own USB ports.

The emulation is getting good marks, but the joystick is getting poor reviews.

Its a mixed bag then

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 12th, 2018, 11:10 am

I had an Apple IIe for the bulk of my life, up until the PS2 was new, and I don't remember the floppy drives being slow at all, unless you were writing/formatting a disk, that might have taken a few minutes.

I agree overall though with emulation being the best way to enjoy these games now though. A lot of these older electronics are really hard to keep running at this point, and replicating the 80's experience is becoming more and more impractical.

Return to “Classic Gaming”