Friday the 13th (NES) Retrospective

The readers post their own reviews.
JustLikeHeaven

Friday the 13th (NES) Retrospective

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 11th, 2018, 4:20 pm

I've got a brand new podcast that I've started with my friend Josh. A few of you might have listened to our other Podcast, The Wolfman's Lounge. Well, that is our cult movie focused podcast and our new project is all about videogames. Mostly retrogames, but we plan to cover new stuff as well. Without further adieu I'd like to introduce you all to DRACULA's ARCADE!

Our first episode is a 30 min look back at the notorious NES game, Friday the 13th. Both Josh and myself think it's a pretty OK game and we've decided to replay it and share some thoughts. We go mostly for entertainment, but hopefully you get some information along the way. We tend to swear quite a bit, so it's decidedly NSFW. If you're interested please check out the episode here:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-gikif-9959bb

I'd really appreciate if you guys could take a listen and let me know what you think. I'm open to constructive criticism or lavish praise. Again, please feel free to comment and give feedback. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Also, does anyone else like the Friday the 13th NES game? It's really not that bad of a title, and it's hard to not be impressed with its ambitious design. I feel like as a licensed game LJN could have taken the easy way out, but they swung for the fences and tried to make something that fit the IP. I've always admire that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Friday the 13th (NES) Retrospective

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 21st, 2018, 6:28 pm

I finally got around to listening to this! The 30 minute running time is a little extreme, so I just let it play in the background. This is a pretty interesting discussion of a game that may have gotten a bad rap over the years.

The two guys are pretty fair in their analysis. admitting the flaws but trying to justify them to a certain degree. They also point out a lot of fun little details that might get lost on the casual player. You'll learn some useful tips as well.

They also discuss the Friday the 13th films, trying to figure out which one the game is based on. They have a very off-the-cuff conversational style that's very relatable. It sounds like my friends talking - especially with the profanity.

These guys definitely have an enthusiasm for the NES and it comes through. Listen to this podcast and you'll want to play Friday the 13th. I think I might have to give it another chance.

Retro STrife

Re: Friday the 13th (NES) Retrospective

Postby Retro STrife » September 24th, 2018, 4:02 pm

I'm still planning to give this podcast a listen, but haven't gotten to it yet. As for Friday the 13th on NES, I played that a lot as a kid and man was it a jump scare every time I ran into Jason inside the house. So much tension going through those houses.
Between that, and constantly feeling on the verge of death, I think this was the most tense/scary game on the NES. Years later, I was shocked to learn that the game was universally panned by critics and gamers as one of the worst NES games. It has some major flaws, but I always felt that the creepy atmosphere more than made up for it. But maybe as a kid I just didn't realize how bad it was...not really sure.

Return to “Reader Reviews”