Mega Man 11 destroys Mighty No. 9 on Metacritic!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Re: Mega Man 11 destroys Mighty No. 9 on Metacritic!

Postby Sonicx9 » October 4th, 2018, 1:15 am

A little late, and response time.

Stalvern wrote:I wasn't being serious. The game was a laughing stock when it came out; it's a dead horse in 2018. And you have already posted about it here many, many times. Just give it a rest. People have told you to stop harping on the same things over and over again.

The only reason I brought up Mighty No. 9 again was because I was comparing Mega Man 11 to the former as I believe that Mega Man 11 was the original vision of Mighty No. 9 that Keiji Inafune wanted to make involving the original Kickstarter pitch back in 2013. But because of the many infamous stretch goals from the Kickstarter such as the many console/handheld versions promised with many hardware differences such as last gen/handheld versions case, the later which never came out as of October 2018 along with the unnecessary multiplayer features, etc. It did nothing but ruin the games true potential in the mess we know today as the game was massively downgrade for the weaker systems/multiplayer features that led to the games many problems we know today.

Basically Mega Man 11 took the original vision of Mighty No. 9 and made it a proper next gen game with proper polish and effort making Keiji Inafune see this game and cry like a Mega Man Fan on Prom Night. And now he wish he remade his game more like Mega Man 11, but it is too little, too late as the damage has been done.

And mind you when people talk about related games or rival titles and franchises and brands they do this all the time (examples include Uncharted vs the Tomb Raider series 2013 onword, Marvel vs DC, Persona 5 vs Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, etc.) So it makes sense in that case.

Sut wrote:
Tell us why it’s bad Sonic from your perspective not just a link to someone else’s opinion. Or haven’t you actually played it ?

and

ptdebate wrote:
As we have discussed many times, if you have an opinion, share it! Don't just post links.

I want to know why you think Mighty No. 9 is so bad. To me it looks like a bland platformer. Not particularly exciting, but not offensive either.

Sorry I wanted to wright in detail but I was busy around that time so let me say my two cents. I played this game briefly and it was not very impressive and it was not helped with the less powerful systems involved making the visuals/gameplay inferior to the later Mega Man 11 which I have played the Switch demo and it puts it to shame. And why it was bad. It was the first big AAA Retro Indie revival game from Kickstarter to get lots of money donated and hype similar to a AAA game even though it not one by regular AAA standards, but by Kickstarter standards it was like one and many people where hoping for the game to be a run away success especially around the time period Capcom was getting lots of bad rep, but over time the delays/controversies/downgrades/multimedia deals like movies, tv shows, animated series, comics, etc. Made people lose faith into the project.

And when the game came out it had many problems such as outdated "Trial-and-error" gameplay, "Poor level design with many problems such as Countershade's level is just a small set of rooms and corridors the player has to loop through repeatedly since he appears in random rooms. Oh, and it has no checkpoints as well." A poorly designed "dash into enemies" mechanic that is has many problems such as demands you constantly stay near enemies, which leaves you open to take damage from them. The bonuses you get for dashing into enemies cannot be activated manually and are not explained in the tutorial. In other words, the game constantly forces you to use the dash and punishes you for not using it. Enemies take too many hits to kill if you don't dash into them, every level has obstacles that require overly precise use of the dash, and bosses quickly regain health unless you dash into them. I could explain more but that just a sample of what wrong with the infamous game.

If you want a good comparison for Mega Man 11 vs Mighty No. 9, it like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt vs Dragon Age: Inquisition. Where the Witcher 3 case was current gen/PC only and because of this, it was able to deliver a next gen game in graphics and gameplay polish, where the former was cross gen and limited it graphic/game play ambition compared to Witcher 3 case. And for Mega Man 11 vs Mighty No. 9 it was the same thing. Mighty No. 9 was cross gen/handheld (the later that never came out) and limited it graphic/game play ambition and was a terrible mess, and Mega Man 11 went all on next gen and delver a proper next gen experience in the graphics/game play department.

I know I am comparing different unrelated games and genres, but it does go hand and hand with how quality is affected when you go all on next gen and not go all on next gen. People can agree/disagree but that just my opinion.
Last edited by Sonicx9 on October 4th, 2018, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 4th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:A little late, and response time.

The only reason I brought up Mighty No. 9 was because I was comparing Mega Man 11 to the former as I believe that Mega Man 11 was the original vision of Mighty No. 9 that Keiji Inafune wanted to make involving the original Kickstarter pitch back in 2013. But because of the infamous stretch goals from the Kickstarter such as the many console/handheld versions with many hardware differences such as last gen/handheld versions the later which never came out as of October 2018. And the unnecessary multiplayer features, etc. Ruining the games true potential in the mess we know as the game was massively downgrade to the lowest common denominator systems/multiplayer features we know today. And Mega Man 11 basically took the original vision of Mighty No. 9 and made it a proper next gen game with polish and effort making Keiji Inafune see this game and cry like a Mega Man Fan on Prom Night. And wish he remade his game more like Mega Man 11, but it is too little, too late as the damage has been done. And mind you when people talk about related games or rival titles and franchises they do this all the time (examples include Uncharted vs the Tomb Raider series 2013 onword, Marvel vs DC, Persona 5 vs Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, etc.) So it makes sense in that case.

With all due respect, and it’s most likely me, but this paragraph makes almost zero sense to me. I must be way out of the loop.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 4th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Sonix buddy, you’re doing it again. You’re following the same template as before.

Title: (Super long with explanation point at the end)

Intro: LINK. “Well, this link just proves what the Critic and Stalvern and Sut all agree on is that developers/programmers/consumers/orangutans need to get from all the indie developers from 11th gen systems twice removed from what Scotland and DaHeckIzat know to be true from a gaming/fun/really fun/slash/backwards slash\.”

Closing: “Your thoughts on what I just posted?”

Sonix, just try to type as if you’re talking to us. And I think you have a lot to say, don’t rely on articles to do it for you. And God knows my writing can use improvement.

Just remember, keep it simple and straightforward. And tell us what YOU think.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 4th, 2018, 2:47 pm

I think he made some good points about the gameplay and why he felt it was bad. No one likes the feeling that a game wants you to fail and is constantly blindsiding you. It also sounds like it just plain isn't fun. Thanks for posting your thoughts, Sonicx9.

Now, I'd like to know your thoughts on MM11 if you do get to play the full version.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 4th, 2018, 4:34 pm

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 5&start=10

Gleebergloben123 wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:A little late, and response time.

The only reason I brought up Mighty No. 9 was because I was comparing Mega Man 11 to the former as I believe that Mega Man 11 was the original vision of Mighty No. 9 that Keiji Inafune wanted to make involving the original Kickstarter pitch back in 2013. But because of the infamous stretch goals from the Kickstarter such as the many console/handheld versions with many hardware differences such as last gen/handheld versions the later which never came out as of October 2018. And the unnecessary multiplayer features, etc. Ruining the games true potential in the mess we know as the game was massively downgrade to the lowest common denominator systems/multiplayer features we know today. And Mega Man 11 basically took the original vision of Mighty No. 9 and made it a proper next gen game with polish and effort making Keiji Inafune see this game and cry like a Mega Man Fan on Prom Night. And wish he remade his game more like Mega Man 11, but it is too little, too late as the damage has been done. And mind you when people talk about related games or rival titles and franchises they do this all the time (examples include Uncharted vs the Tomb Raider series 2013 onword, Marvel vs DC, Persona 5 vs Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, etc.) So it makes sense in that case.

With all due respect, and it’s most likely me, but this paragraph makes almost zero sense to me. I must be way out of the loop.

BTW I fixed and re eddied it to make more sense and to be have better writing so it will come soon.

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Sonix buddy, you’re doing it again. You’re following the same template as before.

Title: (Super long with explanation point at the end)

Intro: LINK. “Well, this link just proves what the Critic and Stalvern and Sut all agree on is that developers/programmers/consumers/orangutans need to get from all the indie developers from 11th gen systems twice removed from what Scotland and DaHeckIzat know to be true from a gaming/fun/really fun/slash/backwards slash\.”

Closing: “Your thoughts on what I just posted?”

Sonix, just try to type as if you’re talking to us. And I think you have a lot to say, don’t rely on articles to do it for you. And God knows my writing can use improvement.

Just remember, keep it simple and straightforward. And tell us what YOU think.

First, I should have not used an explanation point and the title was not that long maybe it should have been Mega Man 11 destroys Mighty No. 9.

Second, I was just showing the Metacritic review score averages from all the release version, maybe I should have used only one link, but still.

Third, I was just asking on peoples impressions on the said game when it was out on the next day and see if the things that Mega Man 11 did better then Mighty No. 9 benefited the said title or not?

I know it too late, or if you want me to re-edit it I will do that?

ptdebate wrote:I think he made some good points about the gameplay and why he felt it was bad. No one likes the feeling that a game wants you to fail and is constantly blindsiding you. It also sounds like it just plain isn't fun. Thanks for posting your thoughts, Sonicx9.

Now, I'd like to know your thoughts on MM11 if you do get to play the full version.

Thanks for the feedback, I will get this game in the near future if I get more money due to financial reasons. But I know I will like this better based on the demo alone along with the reviews from critics and fans alike so that a good sign right their.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 4th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Just remember, keep it simple and straightforward. And tell us what YOU think.

He did, or at least that's what I remember from before he presumably edited the post and knocked it back into the moderation queue. He said that the level design was cheap and forced him to spam the dash move and that the cruddy graphics made the experience even worse. While I haven't played the game myself, this squares with all the rest of the word of mouth about it.

Sonicx9, I just want to say that I liked your post. It was a nice surprise to see you basically review the game! I wouldn't mind seeing some proper reviews from you in the Reader Reviews forum (if you feel like it).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 4th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:Just remember, keep it simple and straightforward. And tell us what YOU think.

He did, or at least that's what I remember from before he presumably edited the post and knocked it back into the moderation queue. He said that the level design was cheap and forced him to spam the dash move and that the cruddy graphics made the experience even worse. While I haven't played the game myself, this squares with all the rest of the word of mouth about it.

Sonicx9, I just want to say that I liked your post. It was a nice surprise to see you basically review the game! I wouldn't mind seeing some proper reviews from you in the Reader Reviews forum (if you feel like it).

I did and it is back up, and thanks for the response, and for reviews via the reader reviews I can technically do them in the near future, as after all I did do one on that Bubsy game from last year that was in a very funny way because of how much I hated this awful game!: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... ilit=bubsy. Actually it was in the now playing section but I did the review in kind of a AVGN funny way because of how much I dislike this game.

Return to “Modern Gaming”