2019/2/7: Atari XEGS: Chop Suey, Mouse Quest

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/2/7: Atari XEGS: Chop Suey, Mouse Quest

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 7th, 2019, 8:30 pm

New Atari 800/XL/XE/XEGS reviews for your reading satisfaction!
Take a trip back thru time and let me know if you like these reviews.

GameOfThrones

Re: 2019/2/7: Atari XEGS: Chop Suey, Mouse Quest

Postby GameOfThrones » February 8th, 2019, 11:43 am

Thanks I had Chop Suey on the Atari 800Xl. You make some good points about it. It is obviously inspired by Karate Champ. Also given the limitations of the hardware I would think it would be possible to say it is the finest fighting game on the XE. It was published by English Software. They produced a fair amount of the best Atari games. They were also affordable at about £7 up to £10.

Mouse Quest is an interesting one. It looks like one of those two quid tape games, two dollars for Americans that you would find in local paper shop. It certainly looks fun and as a user of many years I had never heard of it. So thanks for the review. Like a lot of Atari games they made up for a lack of level by making it very hard. The game that set all of this off on consoles was Miner 2049 and its British offshoot Manic Miner.

The tune that you thought was warbling in the back ground is Debussy's Golliwogs Cakewalk.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 8th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Great opening to the Chop Suey review :lol: . I have a XEGS but didn't know it's possible to play disk games on it.. I'm assuming that means you can connect a disk drive to the console.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 8th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Retro -
Yes you can connect a 1050 disk drive, which really opens you up to a lot more software, including a lot of games I played during the 80's. The XEGS is just a repackaged Atari XE computer.

Return to “Review Feedback”