PS Vita is mostly no more.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

PS Vita is mostly no more.

Postby Sonicx9 » March 1st, 2019, 1:28 pm

https://www.dualshockers.com/ps-vita-sh ... japan-end/

Keep in note that a few late physical and digital games will be released post the situation, but keep in note they where announced before the situation.: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/vita/upcoming

This may explain why the PS Vita port of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was canceled as they would have made zero money by the time the base game launched in the summer when western Vita card production was long ended. And even in Japan/Asia/Korea where physical card production continued would not be fair for western fans and sales would have been non-existent at this point.

And mind you the Nintendo Switch is Vita 2 in all but name so it makes sense.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: PS Vita is mostly no more.

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 1st, 2019, 6:08 pm

Did anybody even notice? This system was a non-factor from the start.

In terms of marketing, Sony seemed to be pinning their hopes on the notion that people liked to play the same games on the road as they do at home, and would be willing to buy the same game twice to do it. DUMB!

If they had a decent library of original games for the system, I would have bought them.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 1st, 2019, 9:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Did anybody even notice? This system was a non-factor from the start.

In terms of marketing, Sony seemed to be pinning their hopes on the notion that people liked to play the same games on the road as they do at home, and would be willing to buy the same game twice to do it. DUMB!

If they had a decent library of original games for the system, I would have bought them.

To be frank the Vita had quality exclusive that where mostly smaller games, problem is poor marketing combined with other problems such as overpriced proprietary memory cards that range from 4GB cost $29, which is around the price of a 64GB SD Card, and the 32GB memory cards cost $99. Note that later models like the 2000 series and PlayStation TV had 1GB of internal storage but the damage was already done. Also you can lose your local save if you do not back up to the cloud via PS Plus which is dumb after uninstalling data. Also the charging cable, proprietary (for first model), is poor quality and hard to find in stores. Thankfully, this was replaced with a Micro USB charger in the Slim model. But the damage was also done. And to be frank most of the Vita best games did get ported/released on the PS4/Switch and PC later on likely because of the systems poor sales shows that the Vita underperformed for the most part. And because Switch is Vita 2 in all but name, it no wonder the system came and went.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 1st, 2019, 11:20 pm

I honestly really liked the Vita's selection of indies on the go, which makes it feel very much like a proto-Switch in retrospect. For my money, there's no better way to play Spelunky, which is the very definition of a modern classic.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 2nd, 2019, 12:48 am

I got my money's worth. Bought it strictly for MLB: The Show, and it did not disappoint. Every now and then I'll still play it on the porch or while I'm taking a crap. It did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Sut

Postby Sut » March 2nd, 2019, 6:08 am

I really like the Vita but you’ve got to be willing to accept the best of its library is digital.
But for me the best thing about the Vita is being able to remote play my PS4 from it and use it as a portable emulation machine, that screen is gorgeous and makes retro games sing.

GTS

Postby GTS » March 2nd, 2019, 6:27 am

They had marketing?

The main problem was that Sony gave up on it too early.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 3rd, 2019, 2:15 pm

Glad I got one of the Japanese slim models while they were still cheap. Prices for consoles are already climbing and games are following.

There ARE in fact many, many excellent titles on the Vita but few excellent exclusives. The only absolute, must-own exclusive for PS Vita is, in my opinion, Persona 4: Golden, with an honorable mention to Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

Return to “Modern Gaming”