What ever happened to arcade style racing games?

General and high profile video game topics.
PAAGaming

Re: What ever happened to arcade style racing games?

Postby PAAGaming » March 16th, 2019, 3:09 am

To me Horizon Chase doesn’t really feel like Outrun. It feels kind of boring in comparison. Don’t really know why, it just does. It seems to lack character.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 16th, 2019, 2:24 pm

PAAGaming wrote:To me Horizon Chase doesn’t really feel like Outrun. It feels kind of boring in comparison. Don’t really know why, it just does. It seems to lack character.

It's more intended as a spiritual sequel to Top Gear for the Super Nintendo rather than Sega's Outrun. Tons of nods to it, including the soundtrack that was composed by the same person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uslMynhEKnY&t=574s

If the Critic is missing arcade games, I suggest buying Top Gear and experiencing one of the best sprite scaling racers of all-time (I assume he isn't familiar with it since it's never been reviewed here). :)

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » March 16th, 2019, 2:30 pm

I've been on the fence about Horizon Chase. It seems like a racer I would enjoy, but watching videos of it, it seems a little on the simple side and thus maybe boring. Yet there are some favorable reviews. So I didn't buy it yet. Anybody want to sing praises or burn effigies if the game?

zetax

Postby zetax » March 16th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Besides Onrush there's Grip (spiritual successor to the Rollcage games), Trailblazers (arcade racer with Splatoon-like ground painting mechanic), and (coming next month) Dangerous Driving (spiritual successor to the Burnout games). None are particularly high-profile games, but I hope to pick-up one or two of them.

Return to “Video Games General”